Notices

Wish me luck. Stubborn Texan beer chugger calling it quits.

Old 10-19-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wish me luck. Stubborn Texan beer chugger calling it quits.

I’m too old for this crap. Nearly 40 and have been chugging cases of beer week in and week out for decades. I gave up the hard stuff years ago. But now is time for me to sober up. After passing out and pissing myself Saturday night, I had a pissed off wife and children asking why our recliner was wet. Broke me, again... not the first rodeo, y’all get it I’m sure. Well it’s the beer or the family so here I am. Day 2... I’m not worried about the first few days DT wise as I normally take a day off here and there. I do worry about this coming weekend tho.

love the forum! I’ve been browsing and listening to podcast.

here goes!! 🤞🤞🤞🤠
Old 10-19-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are like me, I had to go ahead and start trying to deal with the real reasons I had developed a dependency on alcohol. The guilt, resentments, anxiety, etc. I never stood a chance otherwise. It really hasn't been that difficult, once I crossed that mental bridge. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
The opposite of addiction is connection.

Hi TexanJohn, great decision! Alcohol is a poison to the body and brain, and if you stay on the sober track you’re going to be amazed how much better you feel. Just be patient though, it takes time for the body and brain to recover.

Ive learned for myself I need a good game plan to stay sober. It’s not enough for me to just say I quit. Have you considered going to an AA meeting? Especially with Covid, most of them have an online option. At the very least maybe pick up a copy of the AA big book and read the first chapter. Good stuff in there.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR TexanJohn. I couldn't drink the hard stuff either (I'm assuming you mean whiskey etc?) and like you I drank beer (lager) and drank copious amounts of it too. One outcome, other than inevitably getting drunk, is that beer made me want to urinate a lot. Thankfully I've never wet myself but I know many people who have. One thing about stopping drinking is that you won't have to do that again.

I'm guessing you normally start to drink again in time for the weekend, once you have pulled around from your last drinking binge? If so and you want a distraction from drinking, there's a Weekenders thread here at SR which has a good mix of regulars and newcomers. The current thread is at https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2020-a.html (Patience this weekend? - Weekenders 16-18 October 2020) and it runs until Thursday morning. Mags1, the thread starter then starts a new thread on Thursday morning. Also in general, reading and posting on a regular basis at SR helps. I find it helps me a lot.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi TexanJohn,

Welcome and I'm glad you've made the decision to stop drinking.

Since you are concerned about the weekend, you could make a plan that will help to keep you busy and to enjoy the weekend while staying away from alcohol. I think that could give you the confidence to believe that you will be able to get through the weekend.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome John! It’s great you are going to quit. Urinating in a chair is not a good sign! (Obviously)
Stick around, post often and you’ll be so glad you got sober.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome John!
I wish I had quit the first time I pissed a chair. It would have prevented a lot of additional pain if I had.
I enjoy luck. The harder I worked at being happy and sober at the same time, the luckier I got.
Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 10-19-2020, 07:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi TexanJohn, welcome to SR. You’ve come to the right place if you want to stop drinking.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Double Post.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

Yeah, most of my heavy drinking is weekends, during the week I usually drink 4-6 most evenings.

i will check out that weekender forum for sure.

I do need a weekend plan for sure!! 🤞🤞
Old 10-19-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sober style

Good to have you aboard, TexanJohn! I'm a Texan myself, been here in San Antonio since 1990, 3 years over in College Station before that. No beer chugging for me in almost 4 years now, huge improvement in my life, leaving the misery of drinking behind. SR helped me a lot, it can help you too if you use it. All the best to you.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey TJ. Welcome to SR. Congratulations on your decision to quit too. I have done a LOT of things I feel embarrassed/shameful about. It is such a relief to realise that it doesn't make you a bad person and it doesn't need to be that way. One action of not drinking, followed by working on having a plan to support it, can lead to that kind of freedom. That is what I am working on!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by TexanJohn View Post
Thanks everyone!

Yeah, most of my heavy drinking is weekends, during the week I usually drink 4-6 most evenings.

i will check out that weekender forum for sure.

I do need a weekend plan for sure!! 🤞🤞
Hey John,

I was mostly a weekend drinker just like you. One of the tactics I have used to stay sober was focusing on how much of an idiot and all the dumb things I had done while I was drunk. You've obviously have one incident that you can use. Anyway, I've found that focusing on certain embarrassing events has always helped me resist the urges because I don't want to ever embarrass myself again. I know if I drink it can happen at anytime because I can't control my alcohol intake.

Remember, take it one day at a time. Keep planning for weekend but most important day is today. Staying sober today is all that matters.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR TexanJohn

D
Old 10-19-2020, 04:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Smart decision to stop drinking. Your life will be so much simpler and more peaceful if you're sober.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!!

Your self-wetting reminded me of a bad night. I went to a bar to "have a few". At some point I was in a blackout and having a texting fight with my brother - all I remember is people laughing at me and taking my picture. I GOT IN MY CAR AND DROVE HOME! I slept in my car for a few hours, when I woke up i realized I was covered in pee.

Man, I don't miss those days!

Everyday sober is better than that! Welcome!
Old 10-19-2020, 05:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad your here. I had so many chances to quit and save my family, but now they have left me. I am now 3 days sober. I know you can do this, while you still have them. I am rooting for you.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Donnylutz View Post
Congrats!!!!

Your self-wetting reminded me of a bad night. I went to a bar to "have a few". At some point I was in a blackout and having a texting fight with my brother - all I remember is people laughing at me and taking my picture. I GOT IN MY CAR AND DROVE HOME! I slept in my car for a few hours, when I woke up i realized I was covered in pee.

Man, I don't miss those days!

Everyday sober is better than that! Welcome!
Been there too. Well not wet in public but passed out in bars And tossed in cars waking up at friends houses etc... As I got older I stopped the bar outings and became a home body. I am fortunate I never got pulled over drunk or in serious trouble... I used to drink to have fun and party but as I calmed down, the excessive drinking didn’t... not on weekends anyways...

Old 10-19-2020, 06:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvchunk View Post
Glad your here. I had so many chances to quit and save my family, but now they have left me. I am now 3 days sober. I know you can do this, while you still have them. I am rooting for you.
Thanks, Man. Like I said yesterday. Your post was my first read here. I’ve treated my wife like crap all the drunken nights I’ve had... It’s a wonder she’s put up with it over 20 years, 15 year married...
Old 10-19-2020, 06:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us, TJ. I wish I'd gotten sober at your age. I kept going with it - and ended up almost losing my life.
When I found SR I knew I'd never have to feel alone again. That was a relief, because all my friends & family were social drinkers. They didn't have any idea what I was going through. Just having one or two was not an option - I tried that & failed every time. It took me too long to realize I couldn't touch a drop.
You can do it! Life will be so much better when you're free.