Notices

Wish me luck. Stubborn Texan beer chugger calling it quits.

Old 10-21-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 4 John. Also good for you for looking for support. Most of us can't do it on our own. Also it is better to turn to people who have been there than family members.

Let us know how you get on!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Four days sober is a great start, and likely the physical withdrawal is over, or nearly over. Now is when you need a good plan to keep you sober.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

well done on day 4 John

D
Old 10-21-2020, 06:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I have ruined quite a few sofa cushions myself over the years. That's why I can't have nice furniture.....good luck!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:36 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thanks y’all! We just tossed all the beer in the trash for pick up tomorrow. Made it 4 days with beer still in the beer fridge! Guess I’ll rename that too! Haha

as for support, yes, I’m rounding up a team! Wife is great but continues to wonder how to help... I’m not sure how to answer other than asking for patience... and I’m trying not to turn into monster at the same time!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I have ruined quite a few sofa cushions myself over the years. That's why I can't have nice furniture.....good luck!
I hear ya... sadly we have Had mattress protectors on our beds for a long time, thanks to yours truly... 🙄
Old 10-22-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Stick around and read and post. I can be done. Best of luck to you. I ended up going till my late 40's even though I was thinking about quitting on a daily basis since I was your age or earlier. Just do it now and make it stick. Its really not that hard once you get over it and there are plenty of good times with out beer to come.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Day 5: Not bad this eve... Forum and AA on zoom continue to help. Busy weeknights with the family does too. Getting kids shuttles to practices, etc, dinner, bath time... I guess I am lucky I have a fairly normal life with just the usual dad stress... Still craving carbonation but survived a “thirsty Thursday”.... my real first challenge comes tomorrow! Hope to kick this weekend in the teeth and stay sober!!
Old 10-23-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes, you'll feel very encouraged when you see you can have a sober weekend. Every time we make it through a challenging time - we grow stronger & more determined.
Congrats on Day 6.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:59 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Forgot to log Day 6 yesterday eve...
10/23 Day 6: I got off work and knew the struggle would start. But it never really did. Soda, carbonated water and such held off the urge while cooking and enjoying TV with the fam... Woke up refreshed on a Saturday. I survived Friday night.

Day 7: Noonish. This is getting real. I am human after all. I’ve already had more soda than I should. Staying busy but dang. Gonna be a long day...
Old 10-24-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

TJ - The anxiety eases up, we promise. Day 7 - that's fabulous. You're doing great.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

It's awesome how many hours there are in a day when it isn't shortened by drinking and passing out or just complete memory blackout.

Keep it going, TJ.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TexanJohn View Post
Thank y’all!

I think my body is used to spikes in alcohol from hammering them down on weekends then backing off during the week. We shall see, but yeah so far so good physically.

I have been eating a bit more but really craving the carbonation so more soda than usual! LOL

One day at a time!! 🤞🤞🤞
Hey John,
Fellow former beer drinker here. I've found that having a Kombucha in the evening helps to curtail the cravings for the carbonation and "bite" that beer has to my pallet. I had to shop around a bit and try several brands before I found some that aren't too sweet but don't taste like pickle juice. Now I'm starting to be a bit of a connoisseur with them and at least around here there are lots to choose from. It's becoming a whole cottage industry thing. Anyway, best of luck. Keep coming back!
Steve
Old 10-24-2020, 11:57 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

10/23 Day 6: I got off work and knew the struggle would start. But it never really did. Soda, carbonated water and such held off the urge while cooking and enjoying TV with the fam... Woke up refreshed on a Saturday. I survived Friday night.

Day 7: Noonish. This is getting real. I am human after all. I’ve already had more soda than I should. Staying busy but dang. Gonna be a long day...
Congrats on your sober time TexasJohn!

Keep staying busy! I'd also say continue to post on here and do everything that helps you stay sober! It's important you do what you've found works.

I know in the past one of the biggest mistakes I have made is saying 'Oh I am good this is easy. I'll be fine.' Then I always would eventually relapse. Don't let that be you!

Anyways, keep at it man! I am looking forward to your posts and remember we all got your back!
Old 10-24-2020, 12:06 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

The finish line is always a sober head laid on your pillow at night. Gun for that pillow TJ.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hey man, newsflash, this **** is hard at first. Your brain chemicals were all happy at first. They needed the break. Now they're like, hey man, we're missing that booze. And they do not like to take no for an answer. I know they saying is said over and over and over again, but just focus on today. Get through today. Saturday afternoons are tough. But you ain't no NYC city slicker, you're TexanJohn. One tough hombre. Now sack up cowboy. It is a rough ride. But so worth it!
Old 10-24-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Hey man, newsflash, this **** is hard at first. Your brain chemicals were all happy at first. They needed the break. Now they're like, hey man, we're missing that booze. And they do not like to take no for an answer. I know they saying is said over and over and over again, but just focus on today. Get through today. Saturday afternoons are tough. But you ain't no NYC city slicker, you're TexanJohn. One tough hombre. Now sack up cowboy. It is a rough ride. But so worth it!
thanks again everyone.

yeah that’s pretty much how it’s going. Like a shocker I would want to drink beer all Saturday!

Old 10-25-2020, 04:03 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

TJ,

Thinking of you. Soon you will be through you first weekend, the first of many firsts.

I loved this:
The finish line is always a sober head laid on your pillow at night. Gun for that pillow TJ.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Keep on moving forward!
You are doing this. Congrats!
Old 10-25-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Rollin on to day 8!! Saturday was a challenge. But once 8 or 9PM rolled around I was pretty good... another weekend morning not half drunk and hungover!! Have a great Sunday y’all!! Hoping today is less itchy! Fingers crossed.