SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Slightly off topic (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/450130-slightly-off-topic.html)

freedomfries 10-18-2020 09:26 AM

Slightly off topic

So I've had psychotic episodes in the past, but they were always because I was drinking or using drugs and/or off my meds.

But this recent one, I was sober three weeks, I was on my meds and it still happened. Now I'm worried I'm going to have another one. Does anyone have any advice?

BeABetterMan 10-18-2020 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by freedomfries (Post 7527848)
So I've had psychotic episodes in the past, but they were always because I was drinking or using drugs and/or off my meds.

But this recent one, I was sober three weeks, I was on my meds and it still happened. Now I'm worried I'm going to have another one. Does anyone have any advice?

Worry is perhaps the most underrated form of sabotage known to man. What good does worrying do?

As far as whether you can expect future episodes I would expect them to decrease as your brain chemicals stabilize.

Zevin 10-18-2020 09:38 AM

You mentioned in another thread that you’re in a psych ward? Have they changed your meds around? Lots of times that will help. Wishing you a very quick recovery.

Erica375 10-18-2020 03:45 PM

Any advice from your doctors, FF?

Anna 10-18-2020 04:34 PM

I'm sure it'c concerning for you, FF. The best thing is to be open with your doctors and let them know you are a bit worried. They may be able to put your mind at ease.

gypsytears 10-18-2020 07:22 PM

Share your concerns and questions with your doctors. They’re best equipped to answer the medical issues. On the plus side, you’re safe, warm, fed, on your meds and most of all sober. Try not to worry.

Dee74 10-18-2020 11:30 PM

I have no experience to share but I'd definitely be asking as many questions of my Doctors as I felt necessary FF - mental health is every bit as important as physical health IMO.

D

freedomfries 10-19-2020 11:17 AM

Thanks everyone. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow so I'll ask him.

HappySobrCraftr 10-20-2020 05:56 AM

One thing that has helped me has been to learn about my illnesses, both physical and mental. Some of it has been tough to swallow, but at least I gained a better understanding of what was going on.

Dee74 10-20-2020 04:27 PM

what did they say in the end FF?

D

Bekindalways 10-20-2020 08:39 PM

Hey FF, I'm not too sure what a psychotic episode is. It sounds terrifying. Courage, healing and strength to you.

Please let us know what the Doc said and how you are doing.

freedomfries 10-21-2020 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 7529234)
what did they say in the end FF?

D

I didn't actually ask. I was so worried they weren't going to discharge me, my main priority was coming across as healthy and recovered as possible.

But when I have my next appointment with my psychiatrist or I talk to my case nurse again, I'll ask for advice in avoiding future psychotic episodes.

MythOfSisyphus 10-22-2020 12:02 AM

Yeah, I would say that's a question for your doctors or other medical professionals. Good luck, freedomfries! Just work on the stuff you can control.:grouphug: