Notices

Patience this weekend? - Weekenders 16-18 October 2020

Old 10-21-2020, 08:30 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

I could easily see eating that whole can of hobnobs in one TV sitting.

Kaily, those roses are a beautiful color. My wife ordered some dark red roses several years ago that came bare root like you described. They did very well and became huge, then began declining after a few years.

Bim, I've never gotten a flu shot just because it never seemed like a priority. This Fall though, I'm hoping to get flu & covid on BOGO.

Mags, a picture of what my turkey fryer looks like, except mine is more 'used' looking. Frying turkeys at Thanksgiving and Christmas while with family, for years has just been an opportunity to go out back with a cooler of beer. Now it will just be an excuse to go out back.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:41 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Hey, everyone!
Happy Wednesday. I have been very busy with work and other stuff and just got a chance to catch up.

Lovely to see you back, Manta. I hope you can figure out a way to reduce some of that stress. The work situation sounds awful. And Erica, I hope the support you are getting here is helpful also. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot. Stick around, both of you!

The roses are lovely, Kaily.

I now want deep-fried turkey and cookies. I had to go buy some new pants last weekend because I have put on just enough pounds that some of my blue jeans are uncomfortable. Having to go up a size has motivated me, though, and I'm already losing weight just by cutting down on sweets and other carbs. I need more exercise, too. But we are heading into winter and it's hard for me to do much exercising in the winter. I'll need to come up with something.

Speaking of winter: We had a huge snow storm here yesterday! I have almost 8 inches at my house. It's really really unusual to get that much snow in October here. If we get just a little more by the end of the month it will be the snowiest October since they began keeping records. Snow is predicted again later in the week, so it looks like we will break it. Already broke the record for the most snow this early in the season. A lot of it will melt over the next couple of days, but it was no fun shoveling my driveway and walkway yesterday. It is wet, heavy stuff. I'm very sore today.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Erica375

Thank you, MLD. Yes, I really like coming here and reading about what's going on with everyone. For me, this is better than in-person meetings.

I did have another panic attack today at the grocery store. That happened a lot after my husband died (20+ years ago) but hasn't happened in a very long time. Today I had to pull over on the way home to puke, but at least I got my groceries and no alcohol. Progress, I guess.😂
Old 10-21-2020, 09:35 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm glad I never attempted to deep fry a turkey while I was still drinking! I would have probably set fire to my entire block . Even now it would not be easy on my small balcony. Snow in mid October must be hard to take. We have had near continuous rainfall today.

Glad you made it home safe and sound Erica. Take care.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:36 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Good Wednesday, all.

Wow, MLD, snow! We are still experiencing warmer than usual temps here. Cutting down on sweets and carbs works for me, also.

Those turkey friers are the best, CityBoy; what type of oil do you use - peanut oil?

Sao, those hob nobs look delicious.

(((Erica))); progress is good; ODAAT. Glad that the mouth guard is giving you relief.

Kaily, love the roses - - very beautiful.

manta - five days and no cravings is progress; run with it.

Willow, caramel, Mags, Robbie, Mags, Bim, lixie @CaptainHaddock; where are you; miss you.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Soberleigh, there is a frying oil that is a blend of soybean and peanut that is OK, but I prefer 100% peanut oil. Three minutes per pound and start checking internal temperature every couple of minutes.

Saou, I did leave my MIL's Thanksgiving turkey in too long once and got it extra crispy. The beer drinking was more than likely a contributing factor.

Forgot about Erica mentioning a mouth guard. I had to use one for a while several years ago. I had developed muscle spasms in my jaw which were quite painful, and broke a couple of teeth from biting down very hard while sleeping. It started while I was very drunk on an out of town work trip. Another example of extreme pain and costly expense resulting from drinking.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Super cute. First male baby gorilla to be born at Boston zoo.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKE wiTuffwxsbsAhUopXIEHej1C8gQ0PADegQIAhAO&url=https% 3A%2F%2Fboston.cbslocal.com%2F2020%2F10%2F20%2Ffra nklin-park-zoo-gorilla-kiki-new-baby%2F&usg=AOvVaw3WGXrvT_ATT-dfnjSLnuvH
Old 10-21-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Old 10-21-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Awww what a gorgeous little gorilla Leigh ❤️
Old 10-21-2020, 05:16 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

My thoughts and prayers sent across the waves for those of us suffering.
I am so used to visiting the SR sites- it is a routine thing every morning. My daily recovery battery recharge. I have known people who, once sober for a time- relax their recovery routines, become complicit and relapse. Every new relapse is harder than the last. My motivation is of course linked to the fact my last very bad rock bottom saw me revived 3 times. I am pretty sure I will not be given a 4th chance. So I try to live in the moment. I try to breathe mindfully instead of nurture anxiety, pain and sadness. Acceptance and letting go is hard and my main struggle (except chocolate) these days. I am grateful for stumbling upon SR in 2016.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

We are grateful that you stumbled upon SR, PhoenixJ. You have inspired us tremendously.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:25 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Leigh they’re gorgeous photos of mamma and baby. ❤️

Marty, that was a surprise, snow in October. Good work out though moving the snow.

CityBoy, that’s some fryer! I guess roads turkey is similar to roast chicken

PJ I never take my sobriety for granted either. SR helps keep me on the right road. I loved what you wrote other day. I sent it to Snoozy. It sums up how I feel too perfectly.

This is PJ’s post.........
The best time to post/seek support is when I do not want to and recovery is a gift- but it needs nurturing every day. Every day I need to recharge my recovery battery- otherwise it goes flat. It is not like saving money- where after a time, one can stop saving if there is money in the bank. Recovery for me does not work like that- it has to be proactive work I do every day- for life.

See you later. xx

New thread in a few hours.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:40 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Mr

Salutations friendly weekenders !

Just checking in from the office where i have the music blasting, the coffee and the windows fully open...
Lots of great posts and pics and i'm not going to try to comment on them all
Only Mags whats a roads turkey ?

Last week i posted alive by pearl jam so here is sirens nearly 6 minutes of perfection..

Well time to attack thursday (my second favorite day CB)

https://youtu.be/4jZBwyG7HPs

Last edited by theVman31; 10-21-2020 at 10:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-21-2020, 11:52 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, always good to see you PhoenixJ, I hope there is not too much pain.

Great photos Leigh! Good luck to mother and baby.

I hope to see all of you on the new thread later today.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:52 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Vinny and Saou

The English have roast turkey dinner at Christmas as a tradition. The turkey is roasted in the oven. We have trimmings with it. Pigs in blankets, stuffing. Do you not have it in France?

Old 10-21-2020, 11:56 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Magsie

Vinny I’ll listen to music later. I’m not trusting my internet at the minute. In fact I’m going to post the new thread a bit early.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:01 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  
Magsie

New Thread Begins

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...er-2020-a.html (Welcome to Weekenders 23-26 October 2020)
Old 10-22-2020, 12:32 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  
Ocean Lover!

Morning All! Love a bit of Pearl Jam Vman x

This week is going to quick! Dreading going back to work Monday but trying to not think about it till Monday. Cooked my first meal from the food box yesterday, leek and haddock cheese chowder and it was absolutely scrumptious. Really easy to cook and put the second portion in the freezer. Today’s delight will be smokey chicken and mushroom linguine. See you all ok the new thread x