Notices

How many times will I post "Im back?"

Old 10-10-2020, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How many times will I post "Im back?"

As many times as it takes. I'm back. I Just attended my first AA meeting on Zoom. I've been sober now for 3 days. Living in groundhogs day of alcoholism has been quite debilitating. The crippling anxiety, shame, feeling physically ill all the time, not remembering my actions. Basically living my life trying to control this thing that cannot be controlled. I know the drill. I know what I have to do.

I've relapsed more times that I can count. I first became a member here back in 2012.

I can get a year under me and then something happens.... I cant explain the "something" but I start to become agitated, depressed. I ruminate. Then I drink. Its all down hill from there. The last time I was sober I was incapable of accepting help, asking for help and incapable of implementing suggestions given. No man is an Island. Even If I thought I was doing everything in my power to stay sober I obviously was not and I've been drinking for the past 2 years. I've dipped in and out of this forum knowing I should stay. Not ready to surrender. Mizuno was my username before.

Unfortunately, I have spent the last 2 days in bed with severe anxiety, shame and feeling like a knife was being jammed into my brain. The hangovers and the actions while intoxicated are getting worse and worse. The guilt is monumental.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Plan:
I will be attending AA daily for the next 90 days.
I will be participating in this online community daily
I will start my journaling again... daily.
Ive reached out to a therapist for weekly sessions.
I will take this one day at a time.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You may want to start scouting meetings for a sponsor.

Ive heard the big book compared to 747 airplane instruction manual. You could read the manual and try and figure out how to fly the plane or go through the book with a pilot.

I know therapist have certain credentials and all and some need them. Sponsors i think don't get enough credit. Therapist have the book knowledge but a sponsor has likely been through something similar. If your boxing it would be nice to have a professional strength coach, a nutritionist. People with best and most up to date professional knowledge to keep you in the best possible condition. Now imagine adding Mike Tyson with no college education. I still would trust he knows how to win the fight though. Thats what AA can offer. Somebody that's already won many fights giving free advice.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, a sponsor is key. I did just attend my first meeting. Ill need a little bit of time for this sponsor thing. First things first. Thank you for your suggestion.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patrisha View Post
As many times as it takes. I'm back. I Just attended my first AA meeting on Zoom. I've been sober now for 3 days. Living in groundhogs day of alcoholism has been quite debilitating. The crippling anxiety, shame, feeling physically ill all the time, not remembering my actions. Basically living my life trying to control this thing that cannot be controlled. I know the drill. I know what I have to do.

I've relapsed more times that I can count. I first became a member here back in 2012.

I can get a year under me and then something happens.... I cant explain the "something" but I start to become agitated, depressed. I ruminate. Then I drink. Its all down hill from there. The last time I was sober I was incapable of accepting help, asking for help and incapable of implementing suggestions given. No man is an Island. Even If I thought I was doing everything in my power to stay sober I obviously was not and I've been drinking for the past 2 years. I've dipped in and out of this forum knowing I should stay. Not ready to surrender. Mizuno was my username before.

Unfortunately, I have spent the last 2 days in bed with severe anxiety, shame and feeling like a knife was being jammed into my brain. The hangovers and the actions while intoxicated are getting worse and worse. The guilt is monumental.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Plan:
I will be attending AA daily for the next 90 days.
I will be participating in this online community daily
I will start my journaling again... daily.
Ive reached out to a therapist for weekly sessions.
I will take this one day at a time.
I love your plan just make sure you execute it. Lots of us come up with great plans then we fail to execute them, relapse, then wonder how that could happen. Don't let that be you.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Your plan sounds very good. I hope you'll fully utilize the support here on SR and in real life.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

You are right that it gets harder and harder after each relapse. Your plan sounds good and I hope you make use of our support here.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, Anna. I have a friend who is texting me numbers of women in AA locally. I never took this route before and I think it really hindered my own recovery. I was sober but not mentally and emotionally sober. I look forward to the peace and serenity that comes.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Patrisha

If you can go a year sober you must be doing some things right. For me acceptance that I can have the life I want so long as I don’t drink is pretty important. It ‘keeps it green’ as they say

D
Old 10-10-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Mizz!!

I am so happy to see you back. I've missed you dearly, my dear.
That miserable anxiety and shame will pass. Just one step at a time.
Try to remember to take it easy on yourself.

O

Old 10-10-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello, O!
Thank You. I am happy to be back. I am ready.
I appreciate you, Dee, Anna and everyone on this forum. Its good to "see" familiar faces.
HOW HAVE YOU BEEN?
Old 10-11-2020, 05:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I knew you'd be back one day; I'm so glad to know it's time for you to do this thing.
I'm doing reasonably well, a hell of a lot better than before. You know I joined SR just a bit after you did, and 2020 was my year; I bet it will be yours too!

O
Old 10-11-2020, 06:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope the night went well Patrisha. Glad you are back and if you can get a year under your belt, you have things to tell the rest of us. I hope you are well this morning.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

How many times...you answered it.

Nice to have you back, Miz. I see you have started a daily accountability thread. I really liked my "Class of" thread, then I joined in some other ones, too.

You can do this, you already know it's better on the sober side.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Missed you Mizz, and glad to see you back!
I also have struggled with relapse, but here we are still at the sobriety thing.

Determination counts. It will stick if we don’t quit quitting.
Hope you pop over to O’s thread and catch up soon
Old 10-11-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Come back as MANY times as you need too......I have; again and again and again....but sometimes that is just what it takes. Lovely to have you back xx
Old 10-11-2020, 01:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have a sponsor! That was quick.
Too quick?
Whatever. I'm going to roll with it.
I have some homework to do. Take notes. Get back with sponsor to go over the homework.
Also, an every Wednesday night meeting to attend with sponsor and sponsee's......sponsies.....???? (try to find the spelling of that one)

My life is becoming full in some ways already.

Phone rings.
Me: Hello
Friend: Hey, wanna have a social distance drink?
Me: Sorry, babe! Im busy getting a ******* life over here. Gotta jam! Love ya though!

Attended a meeting this AM.
Its been a fine Sunday.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Awesome, Patrisha. You sound good and ready to make this work.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You need never type another "I'm back" post again! All you need to do is what you are already doing and no it is not too soon to get a sponsor, this is your life you are talking about so no delays!

Going through the steps has given me peace and serenity. Something I never ever had before. It works if you work it and you sound like you are ready to work it so you go girl!!!

♥️🙏♥️🙏
Old 10-11-2020, 10:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I know that soul-crushing anxiety/depression after a bender. I can't leave the house for 3 days during which I will not have slept a wink. Remember that your brain is adjusting to the absence of alcohol so your nerves will overactive for a while.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Mizz-
Welcome back.
Keep plugging away.
The more you try the better the odds.