Notices

Early recovery help

Old 10-10-2020, 02:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Early recovery help

Hi all,

Happy Saturday to everyone, it's 3 months today I chucked the booze out the window and it's proved to be a fantastic decision

I would advise anyone on the fence about quitting to jump off it, and start a new sober life. I used to post on here sometimes for weeks and months on end, knowing I needed to quit but not putting the hard yards in to actually take action and reclaim my life. This was reflected in my posts. My words, my attitude.... Everything really

That was all just ADDICTION talking, running the show, I was the puppet on the string and with that came lies, deceit, dishonesty and low self worth and self esteem. None of it was fun or productive

3 months on and things are "unremarkably brilliant". Simple pleasures of life take on new meaning. Hope, optimism, trust, love, kindness have all taken centre stage in my thinking and I'm rebuilding things getting my values back that I knew were there but masked by the LIES addiction tells us

So if you're in the really early days, this one's for you...... This forum is unbelievable support, members on here put up with a lot from me when I was in the throw of addiction and I received unwavering and unrelenting messages of good will and support, even when my addiction and despair was driving my posting, I got the full backing always that recovery was the step forward I needed. My sincerest apologies for the past it was the addiction

Don't waste another moment locked into that terrible addiction cycle, break out in any way you can and get the support in any way you can

Aa has been a revelation for me but if that's not your bag, there are many other avenues of support

Recovery contains an embarrassment of riches readily available on your doorstep, set yourself free from booze, your body and brain will cheer when you do!!

Love to all on the forum and thanks for everyone being here when it counts 😊

Stewy x

Old 10-10-2020, 02:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on 3 months man

D
Old 10-10-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

way to go Alcoman. keep up the great work and keep being strong.

Old 10-10-2020, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

good work!
Old 10-10-2020, 04:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 months! Sounds like you have done a lot of work on your sobriety. Keep going!
Old 10-10-2020, 04:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post.

Congrats and thanks for taking the time to give back with your message.
Old 10-10-2020, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post, Alcoman (you need a new username now).

Those first few weeks/months can be deeply unpleasant, can’t they? At any point in those early days, the body and mind is crying out for alcohol, and it seems the most natural thing to give in and have that one drink. Yes, it’ll make us feel much better, but it’ll come at a huge cost - literally a matter of life and death. But as you say, Alcoman, that all changes gradually until the cravings can be ignored.

You’ve done it. Huge congratulations. The cravings will still be there off and on, but you’re one of the lucky ones who’s now free to enjoy the many unexpected surprises that a sober life brings.

Three years ago, I was an obese drunk wasting my life. Now I’m a science teacher who does triathlons. If someone had told me that in 2017, I’d have probably ruptured myself laughing 😀 Huge well done!
Old 10-10-2020, 12:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A great post and congratulations on 3 months sober Alcoman.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and hugs on reaching 3 months sober! And thank you for the inspiring post.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, I am so, so happy to hear this.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So glad to hear it Stewy! Inspiring to hear the real you.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks all, Hodd, I loved your story just shows how much can change when you get a hold on this thing

Happy sober Sunday to all, keep it in the day, one day at a time

My friend from my band as a present for sobriety has just dropped a guitar that he made round for me. Its made from a cigar box and has a pickup in it so I can use it in my amp. Wonderful gift I'm extremely fortunate to have friends like that
Old 10-11-2020, 03:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I needed to hear this right now. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-11-2020, 03:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Alcoman447 View Post
Thanks all, Hodd, I loved your story just shows how much can change when you get a hold on this thing
and thank you too for posting your inspiration. I still can’t quite believe the confident go getter I’ve become. I still feel like an imposter, but that’s the new me. We know what drinking brings, i.e. boredom, misery and health problems, but not drinking gives us a fighting chance of a surprisingly great future.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Well done,Stewy. Very pleased for you.