Notices

Routines

Old 10-11-2020, 01:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RosieBecomming View Post
Hi Gabe. I do better with a routine and I want to get one going...it makes me feel more grounded.

I have a bit of a routine with work and all but I think more will come together with time being sober for me. I can depend on myself when I am sober!

Hope you are well!
That's the nice part Rosie hey? Being able to depend on ourselves.....let me know how the routine works out for you and if there are any tips you have. I'll do the same xx
Old 10-11-2020, 01:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I'm not terribly rigid, but do like a routine. I like feeling like I'm going in order, thing one, thing two, thing three, and so on, during the day. The one thing I especially like about my routine is that (weather permitting) I walk my little dog several times a day. Potty time can be out in the dog yard, but walk time is more about sniffing and enjoying the walk.

I also like following a routine (mostly) for the stability if offers. I come to expect myself to do certain things, like dog walking, cleaning, errands, and so forth.

I also have a hard time defining it, but I usually stick to a routine and it makes my life simpler.
Thanks Least, that sounds like you have a sense of order and that it really helps. I think having a pet too is brilliant for that and needing to go out, regardless of how you feel, for them is a great motivator. I am allergic to everything! But if I could choose I would have a dog. I think, in breaking it down, there are things I am doing every day, which I can build on. I am good at night. I read, go to bed early and I do the same thing every night. It helps when starting to plan a morning routine
Old 10-11-2020, 01:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Gabe, I thrive on routine. The down-side of that was when I turned to alcohol to self-medicate, I quickly fell into a routine which led to alcoholism. The upside was that in early recovery, I quickly fell into a routine which helped me change my evening routine and avoid drinking. I find comfort in having a daily/weekly routine and I try not to get stuck in it. I agree with what Dee said about being flexible, especially when things come along unexpectedly. I think Covid has made many of us make new routines.
Definitely, Covid has thrown everything up in the air and I think that has made it more of a challenge to get back on track with sobriety. I know that there are quite a few things I can't do, that I would be doing......but I can flip that round and say that it's an opportunity to try different stuff. I have done walks I had not been on and I have spent time with people in different ways.
It's the obsessiveness that trips me up.....I swim, so I need to swim every day......when I eat healthily I find it hard then to have a bit of cake and not feel bad about it....it't that kind of thing I want to change. I don't want to box myself in like that. It also leads directly back to drinking, because it makes me miserable.

We went for lunch yesterday and I had a big bowl of ice cream and strawberry sauce, it was awesome, it's that kind of thing I don't want to lose.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
In early sobriety, I found routines helpful -- especially to establish a new routine for the time of day when I used to start drinking (right after work). I made sure I had plans of some kind for 6 - 8 pm every night, for the first few months. Later in the process, I was loading my days up with too much routine and too many tasks, out of fear -- as if, "if I don't do these 14 things every day, I might not stay sober". I came to realize this was nonsense -- I stayed sober by not drinking. It was important to develop self care and new interests, but I needed to strike a balance too, and not drive myself like a task master out of fear. It took some time to develop the balance.
THIS I ME! First couple of weeks I am shaky and just glad not to be drinking.....then the fear sets in and I put myself through some sort of military recovery exercise, I become exhausted and I feel awful. I started this thread because I really don't want to do that this time......I am aware though now and that's a big step to keep building on. Thank you, it helps to know you have overcome that and found balance x
Old 10-11-2020, 10:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Structure and routines are very important to me and sobriety. Its my comfort zone. Work, working out, meals and sleep. Weekends spend some time with my doggo.