Notices

COVID19 - Wave 2 - Shutdown

Old 10-09-2020, 04:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

COVID19 - Wave 2 - Shutdown

Toronto has entered shutdown today for 28 days. This is actually quite beneficial for my sobriety because every bar and restaurant are shutting down. I do feel bad for the owners and employees, however I won't have a chance to sit down in a bar and start off on a bender.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the 28 days goes fast and gets things back under control WL.

D
Old 10-09-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have mixed emotions about the covid19 lockdown around the world. For me I've not taken a break yet as a essential worker. The positive thing was there was less people on the road. My family was safe at home, I was blessed to have work since I'm the money maker. Now that restrictions have lifted in my area, my anxiety is crazy. But we will get passed it.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the 28 day shutdown works.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good job finding the positive in that shutdown, and using it to your advantage. It is not what happens to us it is how we respond. I need to get better at making the best of covid and 2020. Basically everything about this pandemic besides the actual virus disagrees with me in a strong way. I think that is a big reason of what pushed me to take the drinking to a new level this year. On the other hand, by making my existing alcohol addiction worse it did get me to finally recognize that it and my marijuana addiction were there and that I needed to work on it, so that is good! Thank you for leading me to realize this just now.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Best of luck to folks up there! I know we're all feeling the fatigue of this never-ending COVID ordeal but we just have to try to make the best of it.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sigh . . . I've been wondering how Canda was doing. It seems like most countries are going for a second spike (except maybe New Zealand). My state in the US is creeping back up. Dang.

Courage and stamina to you and yours.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Erica375

At least we have the internet and can communicate with each other. I wonder what people did 100 years ago during that pandemic. I don't know much about it. Would be interesting to read some first-hand accounts.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

this doco has some first hand experiences.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0juBE-ra3A

D
Old 10-10-2020, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I live in the area and am pleased about the restrictions. People are simply not making good choices. And life is about choices, no? So let’s choose to be sober this Thanksgiving weekend and we’ll get through it.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree that we can take advantage of altered situations. I didn't get sober this year but, intuitively, knowing myself, definitely think it might have been easier that in a "normal" year. Not because of drinking places closing (I never drank alcoholically in public places), more because of the lifestyle changes we have been forced to make. For some, it's the opposite of beneficial. It's great that you see an opportunity in this, so seize the day!
Old 10-11-2020, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear what's happening in Toronto, but I think there will be more places doing the same thing. Seems like as soon as a place starts letting up on restrictions the virus gets worse. Look at what is happening in New York and parts of Europe. This virus is just relentless. I'm beginning to think the only way to eradicate it is with a vaccine, but then many people are saying they won't take it when it's available. Sadly, many people seem to have a limit on how long they will wear a mask or social distance. For me, it has just become a habit. I'm fine wearing a mask and social distancing as long as it takes. Got a flu shot yesterday. Even the schools I work at have different requirements and every teacher does things differently. I limit working to just two days a week to cut down on my chances of getting sick. I'm lucky I can do this. Still paying off on past medical bills. Can't afford to add to it.
Just hope everybody here and elsewhere is doing what they need to stay safe and doing what they can to keep others safe. John
Old 10-11-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

If it helps you out, take advantage of it and keep on going. Glad you are sober.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:38 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sober and covid free so far. Throw in a football game and I'm good. Just feel real bad for those less fortunate. Many subs and teachers have decided to not return to work because of the virus and I don't blame them. I hope my filling in a few days of work helps the schools. You wouldn't believe the extra work the teachers have to do to deal with covid. Teaching a class while at the same time giving instructions for kids on line. Some kids deciding to go to in class learning instead of on line learning, and visa virsa. Can you imagine the challenge of attendance let alone grading! Some teachers have more students on line then in class. If on line classes end in January, there will be no room for those students in class. Sorry for the rant. John
Old 10-11-2020, 11:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I live in Texas and i'm a cosmetologist. I had been wearing a mask since the beginning of March. None of my coworkers or our clients were wearing masks. We shut down for about a month then were right back at the salon and still no one was taking it seriously. Finally in June I saw our numbers in my city spiked dramatically on the CDC chart and I quit that day. I haven't gone back because my state continues to make absolutely stupid decisions in regards to the pandemic. Our governor just gave the ok to open bars back up even though our numbers aren't going down. And everyone is planning these huge Halloween parties. It enrages me.

I was hoping I would be able to return to work by January. Not long after I quit they at least started requiring people to wear masks in businesses. Still wouldn't have helped me since I can't social distance and do hair at the same time. And so many people are throwing fits about having to wear masks. We are entering flu season, this entire election is a dumpster fire, everyone is at each other's throats. I have no idea when i'll be able to go back to work. I've tried finding work from home for 5 months and haven't had any luck.

Just wanted to vent.