Notices

A little over a month so far

Old 10-08-2020, 07:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little over a month so far

I honestly never thought I'd be able to quit drinking for a few days, let alone a month, but here I am. Surprisingly, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I do get cravings, but they are manageable, and I haven't had a sip since early September. The benefits so far are weight loss (people have even made comments about how I look thinner), spending less money, and I would say I feel a little less stressed, and I'm generally more chill. I still have plenty of wine and beer in the house, but I just ignore it. I know it sounds cliche, but if you are thinking about quitting do it! You can make it happen. One thing I did to help was just get in bed really early everyday at first, that way I wasn't as tempted to drink. I got better sleep, and that helped me stay away form alcohol.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Keep on keepin on!
Old 10-08-2020, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Keep up the good work.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Harford View Post
I honestly never thought I'd be able to quit drinking for a few days, let alone a month, but here I am. Surprisingly, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I do get cravings, but they are manageable, and I haven't had a sip since early September. The benefits so far are weight loss (people have even made comments about how I look thinner), spending less money, and I would say I feel a little less stressed, and I'm generally more chill. I still have plenty of wine and beer in the house, but I just ignore it. I know it sounds cliche, but if you are thinking about quitting do it! You can make it happen. One thing I did to help was just get in bed really early everyday at first, that way I wasn't as tempted to drink. I got better sleep, and that helped me stay away form alcohol.
I relate to this, and it sounds to me like you are on your way. When you get a month under your belt and experience the surprise of making it longer that a couple of days, you have accomplished something important. You now know it is possible, and if you can do a month, you can do a year.

Now a big word of WARNING. Your next obstetrical will be avoiding the "quiet failure," which is phase 2 of recovery. This is when your AV tells you you have proven yourself, and you can now take a drink. You feel so normal that it's easy to believe this, but it's been the downfall of many a recovery. It's an insidious mind game that quietly lures you back into the cycle, which is worse every time you fall for it. And alcoholics can't afford to make this mistake. Watch for that sense of invulnerability, and choose not to drink.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That's good to hear that warning. I'll admit that I've thought about just one little glass at some point. I haven't done it, but I get what you are saying about getting over confident. I've made it a whole month, I'm good...
Old 10-08-2020, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on a month!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on a month sober!