Notices

Enjoying old hobbies

Old 10-17-2020, 01:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Resurgence View Post
Hey Flowing,

I'd say the way to speed it up is to just do a thing. And if that thing doesn't work for you, try something else.

Perhaps make a list of say, three activities to complete in a week. Dedicate a period of time each day to try each of those things. Mine went something like this:
  • Monday - Listen to a philosophy podcast (I'd previously consumed philosophy in a drunken stupor, so it never stuck).
  • Wednesday - Walk/run for half an hour.
  • Friday - Follow an online drawing tutorial.
In my experience, procrastinating and questioning when it all will fall into place never worked - it just prolonged inertia, which generated anxiety.

I understand that in early sobriety's choppy waters, we just want things to be easier. But I don't think those things get easier - we get stronger.
This! Just what I was going to post. I'd also add that if a particularly activity doesn't work out first time around, re-visit it a bit further down the line.

I found that it does take time. One of my main hobbies is watching movies. At first it was incredibly difficult - my mind would wander and it was a challenge to concentrate. But now I am watching at least 7 movies a week, and thoroughly enjoying it. Just last night I watched 2 films back to back, the second one (a foreign language film with subtitles) which I started at 11pm - that would never have happened when I was drinking!

On the flip side - as a child I was a prodigious reader, and I have tried to get back in to this also, but it has happened to date. But it is something I will have another crack at in the coming months for sure.