Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the wind blows how strong are your roots, Weekender - Weekenders 09-12 October 2020

Notices

When the wind blows how strong are your roots, Weekender - Weekenders 09-12 October 2020

Old 10-10-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 10 days Phil!

Well done on kicking that AV into touch Robbie and good luck to your dad.

Bedtime for me. I will leave with one of the greatest hip hop tracks ever imo, it's not that well known

https://youtu.be/-lrVO3pPDP4

Old 10-10-2020, 03:56 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Hope your stomach feels better quickly Willow.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:38 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

It's time for Willow and I to cross paths on opposite ends of the world...and sao and Cityboy.

My walk today was pretty dramatic! Good thing I wore my rain jacket and took an umbrella. Too bad my replacement shoes weren't water resistant! Buckets! Bathtubs of water! Lightening, thunder! Drama.

It was awesome, except you know how you see lightening and then you're s'posed to count seconds until the thunderclap and that's how many miles away the lightening is? Yeah, well it went from 10 seconds to simultaneous, so I'm glad I didn't get hit by lightening. I couldn't decide whether to walk under the trees or out in the open. Both seemed problematic. Time for dinner.

Nite, Weekenders.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:18 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning/afternoon/evening Weekenders

Congratulations Phil

Robbie, you did great by your dad and kicking the av. A Chinese meal sounds a good way to finish off a Saturday.

Willow, pleased you’re evening went ok. Hope your stomach has settled down.

Bim, oh Wow! The storm sounds spectacular! Glad you were ok through it.

Up at stupid o’clock this morning, had breakfast and coffee and it’s still on just gone 3.15 am. It’s better than how it used to be though, nursing a hangover while planning my next drink.

See you later. Be safe. xx
Old 10-10-2020, 07:55 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Hope everyone is having a lovely Caturday.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:56 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

Happy #WorldMentalHealthDay for yesterday.

since we're doing trees this weekend:

Old 10-10-2020, 11:11 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Thanks Cityboy and Mags, I’m feeling heaps better now
Old 10-10-2020, 11:26 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Another hangover free sunday morning and it is magical. Cant even begin to understand why I started drinking again in June.
Hope all are well
Old 10-10-2020, 11:27 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Congratulations to everyone successfully fighting the AV.

Mine is playing on the fact that in a few weeks I will be 2 years sober - in fact that is what is keeping me sober, reaching that milestone. AV is suggesting I will struggle with the anniversary anticlimax and drink. I need to find a way out of this depression... Still feeling very bleak.

And I look awful. Several people have asked if I am unwell. Stress, isolation and loneliness are very ageing.

My tree contribution.

Old 10-11-2020, 12:17 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Magsie

Sorry you’re not feeling right Kaily. How about giving yourself a task to do every day. Perhaps a photo of a different tree or if you can’t get out, a view from your window?. I recall your photo of the pigeon in your garden.
It can be difficult to get out of the depression cycle, especially this time of the year, with short days.
Doing something you like every day even if you don’t feel like it can help a little. Small steps, for everything in life (says the girl who used to jump in with both feet!)
Gorgeous picture.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:36 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

hang in there Kaily, we're all "root"ing for you.

really, we are, in spite of the terrible pun.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:42 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Morning Weekenders!

Kaily, 2 years sober will be an amazing achievement. The AV is trying to stand in the way of that but you recognise that and are not letting it win. When your two year anniversary arrives, the next day you will be in your third year of sobriety, an even greater achievement. I hope you can feel a bit better soon though. Lovely picture and I love how the tree in the centre is standing almost defiantly. Slightly bent to the right but not broken. It looks like it has been there for a long time so must have strong roots.

andyh, I love 'A Forest' by The Cure. It was in the charts when I left school. Over 40 years ago now. Yikes, as I've posted before, time really is flying by.

Mags, if you are awake by 3.15am, what time do you go to bed? I'm starting to have broken sleeps during the night now, where it takes me a while to get back to sleep. It happens for me each time when I'm in early recovery, my sleeping is all over the place at times. This morning I woke about 3.30am and it must have been at least 5am before I drifted back to sleep. This despite not going to bed until after midnight.

Phil, yes a hangover free Sunday morning never gets old. I love having the option of being able to do something, anything - or nothing. When I was drinking my only options were to either drink again or to do nothing, the latter because I was usually exhausted and ill.

Willow, good to hear you're feeling better. And least, hope you enjoyed Caturday! biminiblue - that sounds like a dramatic walk. If there's lightning I would never stand under a tree. It's more dangerous than being out in the open.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:15 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Kaily that’s a really gorgeous photo! I wish we could do something to cheer you up, but I know that when I feel depressed, nothing much cheers me up. The thing I find best to pull myself out of a slump is planning for something that I’m looking forward to, like a camping trip, or something else that I’m going to do, like a visit to a wildlife park or a music festival or some other event, or catching up with family or a friend. The tricky thing is that with Covid, sadly a lot of options aren’t happening at the moment.

I’m seriously considering doing some kind of fun online course to give me something fun and interesting to do. I have no idea what. Have you thought of doing a course in something you’ve always wanted to try? It might not be an answer, but sometimes even having a fun hobby can help me find some joy. My Mum was on her own for years and she took up all sorts of fun new things in her later years, including a weekly computer class, all sorts of crafts, tai chi, yoga, even dancing, although her aches and pains limited her dancing somewhat. I think I should take a leaf out of her book ❤️

That just made me think of Dragon and the ukelele. Has anyone heard from STDragon recently?

I’m going to have to go to sleep, I’m nodding off as I type this. Made it through another weekend sober.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:29 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Magsie

Robbie, I’m early to bed around 9.30 ish, depending if I’m reading or watching something on tv. I can’t do the ‘candle burning at both ends’ anymore.

Willow, I’ve not seen Dragon for a while.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:32 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Very glad you didn't get struck by lightning Bimini. It started raining while I was mowing yesterday but there was no lightning.

Kaily, I hope your spirits improve soon. My spirits could use some lifting also.

A day of getting caught up on some chores is on tap for today. Fun.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Did I mention the hail? It's pretty fun to be under an umbrella with hail hitting it! I love storms. Cityboy, I used to live in Tampa and we would go out and sit on a dock and watch the spectacular lightening shows there. Tampa area is supposedly the lightening capital of the world. We actually don't get lightening here very often and when we do I'm always a bit leery about funnels. It felt that way yesterday. So cool to be outside in it!

I've hacked my sleep issue. For a few weeks there I was waking up at 3AM on the regular and then being UP.

I've always kept my clock covered with a towel, because in the past I would wake up multiple times and check the time and I thought that was causing sleep issues. Plus there's a light on it and I have blackout curtains etc.

Well, I started setting my phone alarm for eight hours after I go to sleep, even though I don't have to get up for any pressing reasons. That seems to have stopped the middle of the night time-checking and the general wakefulness. I've slept through to the alarm every day since I did that. That's a breakthrough, right there (if it sticks.) That and I say a little prayer every night that I can sleep through the night without "issues."

So, I'm hitting the internal locus and the external, just in case (hi, Tatsy.)
Old 10-11-2020, 06:48 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

K-girl. You look fabulous. I mean, we're all getting older - the mirror isn't my favorite place anymore but it really has little to do with covid and everything to do with how many trips around the sun I've made combined with gravity and too much time out in the sun. Worth every wrinkle.

If I'd known I was gonna live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself. Nah, that's not right. I'm taking care of my self today. One day at a time.

My sober "Time" is part of what keeps me going, too. I'd love to check out of this whole mess sometimes - BUT NO WAY I'm going through getting sober again. It was too miserable.

Love you. Hang on, woman. Two years, wow!!
Old 10-11-2020, 07:41 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the kindness and support.

It's not covid causing it. To be honest I was just as isolated and lonely before, sometimes I cope better than others. I am having a bad patch. And my hip/back hurt all the time.

Anyway I have been out for a very long walk in the autumn sunshine, so today is ok. (Against my physio's advice) mental health versus physical health, sometimes you just have to choose.

This lovely tree trunk seemed to have it's eyes on me.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Those pics are great. It's so weird, though. I could have taken any of those pictures on my walks around here, it looks just like my 'hood.

There's even a guy with a pontoon boat just about like that right around the bend in the river.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Ha do you have a tree with eyes?

A bit of sunshine makes everything seem a little bit better.