Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

When the wind blows how strong are your roots, Weekender - Weekenders 09-12 October 2020

Notices

When the wind blows how strong are your roots, Weekender - Weekenders 09-12 October 2020

Old 10-09-2020, 02:40 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Marty it’s great that he has you there setting a great example. My partner often says he’s going to stop drinking, and sometimes he does stop for a while, weeks or months. But he doesn’t drink much at all, maybe one or two beers after work, sometimes none. Occasionally several on a weekend but not every weekend.
I could never do do that. I was all or nothing. So it has to be nothing, because I didn’t ever stop at one or two. It was always at least several, usually more. Every day. So now it’s nothing.

I’m trying to limit sugar because I’m a bit all or nothing with sugar too. I felt dreadful yesterday. Hopefully today is better. I’ll try the salty. I went to get salt from the pantry last night (I rarely use salt and last time I used it there was plenty) and I realised the resident teen had used up all the salt. I had just been grocery shopping yesterday and could have got some if I had known.... Momentary inner rage. Possibly an overreaction lol, but after finding the entire punnet of strawberries had already been eaten in one sitting (and I hadn’t even gotten one myself) it was like the straw that broke the camel’s back. I was so angry. Luckily it was an inner rage. I feel like a broken record sometimes, trying to teach consideration for others without getting angry. Especially when I’m in sugar withdrawal lol.

I will go back to the supermarket today to get some salt. And more strawberries.

Sober Saturday morning here . Have a great sober weekend everyone
Old 10-09-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Willow, my mother always said to me, "Do you have a hollow leg?" I don't think teenagers can help it. They're just hungry all the time. Maybe you need a separate refrigerator with a lock.

I'm back from the afternoon green therapy (my walk.) In the park I saw a doe and two of this year's fawns with her, nibbling on berries. They just kept nibbling as I watched and then strolled off into the woods. Beautiful.

Unfortunately, I've gotten the very last mile out of my trail shoes and have to retire them. 12 years of walks, though. I'm happy with that. They've had it.

I hope everyone has a pleasant day/evening/whatever it is where you are. I'm off to make some salmon and watch some Netflix.
Old 10-09-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

I think you’re right Bim
We actually do have 2 fridges, and I know a hidey place in the garage fridge, so I think I’ll stash some extra things in there for myself. I used to hide alcohol, why not strawberries?

The doe and fawns would have been lovely to see. And 12 years is a fine innings for your shoes!
Old 10-09-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

My wife would hide alcohol from me so I wouldn't drink it immediately, and then forget about it because she didn't really care. There was one hiding place I never found.

Don't know as much about Doug firs and PNW stuff, but might know a thing or two about our native Florida trees. Some species just naturally have sorrier root systems and/or are more susceptible to root diseases, which makes them more subject to blow over, obviously. Cypress seem to have very sound root systems. Some species are more subject to wind breakage.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:17 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Welcome new peoples.
I had an M&M sugar 'hangover' recently. I also do not advocate comfort eating, but it is way better than going for alcohol. I do not fall over and break bones, or drive dangerously, or obsessively make 'babble' phone calls, or change my behaviour, or hide evidence, or …….......
Old 10-09-2020, 11:13 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning Weekenders, too much sugar is one of those First World problems that is nonetheless a very real problem as we are hard wired to like the stuff.

I hope everyone gets through Friday. A Saturday morning without a hangover is a great reward.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:18 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Meh! Double post.
Old 10-09-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Erica375

Very early Saturday morning. Woke up, couldn't get back to sleep and was thinking about all the nights I would awake up and be awake for hours because I'd been drinking. Then I realized I was not drenched in sweat and my heart wasn't racing because I did not drink yesterday!
It's interesting to be awake so early. Very quiet. I can hear crickets outside. It's peaceful. So I decided to come here and read for a while, hopefully get sleepy. If not, a Saturday afternoon nap would not be a bad thing.
This is actually not a bad way to start the weekend!
Old 10-10-2020, 12:56 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Morning weekenders,

Thanks Mags for the thread. Strengthening my tree roots is my next step in recovery. I need to build a solid sober life for myself given the positive career situation I find myself in and the opportunities I have been given. I wish I knew exactly how to do this but with cautious steps I'll get there in the end. If and when the wind does blow I'll then be as ready as I can be.

As I completed work yesterday at the end of another productive week the AV raised its head. Not the all out, raging, 'must drink now' AV of the past but a more subtle form romancing past notable drinks. I walked up to the park overlooking the waterfront and sat with a coffee and a chocolate bar watching the ships navigating the bay as the sun set. The AV faded and for a few minutes I felt peace.

So, I have a quiet weekend planned. There will be some cooking, some reading, some walking in the park, maybe some time for hobbies and I'll be ready and refreshed for the week ahead.

Thank you all for your posts so far this weekend. Good to see so many doing well. To those lurking, do join us!. Warm wishes to all. Forwards.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:10 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders from a dull and wet North Lincolnshire.

Loving all your posts. It’s sad when you see such mighty trees fall (metaphorically speaking also). We was out for a drive one weekend and a tornado (I think) had wiped out some trees. One big tree was just laid on its side with its roots showing and others had part snapped. It was sad to see.

I rented Netflix for a couple of month’s at half price just so I could finish watching tv series ‘Safe’. Now I’m on to Hinterland. I did start watching Ratched, but I’ve not made up my mind about it. It’s the sort of tv series that I could get nightmares from.

Mantalady, thinking about you and hoping you’re ok.

See you later if my internet/wi-fi/forces behave.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:25 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Mr

Hello Weekenders from a wet south west France. 12 years of walks is pretty good stuff for a pair of shoes Bim. I have a pair of ecco sandles that I bought over 20 years ago for moving to France. I still wear them in the nice weather. Pretty chuffed with those. Mags enjoy netflix. It probably is one of the best services I ever subscribed to in terms of quality for money. My favorite series is fargo.

I heard this proverbe in french yesterday, translated : "if everything seems grey move the elephant"

So hope everyone is feeling like Eddie V:
https://youtu.be/qM0zINtulhM

​​​​
Old 10-10-2020, 04:19 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Lovely to hear you both experienced some moments of peace Erica and Forwards. Precious moments to savour, for sure.

I agree PJ, I don’t want to comfort eat, but it’s better than alcohol.
Sao I do think we’re hardwired to like sweet stuff. I know I definitely have a sweet tooth. I’m trying to retrain it...

Kaily I hope you’re ok
You too Mantalady

Thanks Vinny, I do like that Pearl Jam song

Mags I have never had Netflix. I occasionally wonder what I’m missing, but I so rarely watch tv. I tried to watch a DVD a couple of months ago and realised the DVD player has no sound. No idea how long it’s been like that, maybe a year or so lol....

Just home from a Saturday night birthday dinner, safe and sober. Phew.
Goodnight everyone
Old 10-10-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Erica, yes it's wonderful not to get up wide awake at 3:15 every morning and be ready for bed when it's time for work.

Would be good to hear from Kaily and Midnight.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:04 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I only have Netflix so it is my "TV." They have a lot of very dark stuff. I saw "Ratched" being promoted in its new lineup but don't think I'm up for that one.

It's too bad that Disney and the other vanilla channels now have their own paid formats, I liked the early days of Netflix when everyone was selling stuff to Netflix. Now it's mostly in-house productions and Netflix leans toward the dark and far left on its "documentaries" so I have to be careful. Lots of nightmares created for me from some Netflix show. They like shock and awe and things that will get them hits on social media/in the news.

I'm thinking of adding Hulu. Didn't get much out of amazon Prime.

Sober Saturday morning Never Gets Old.

Waving to Kaily, Manta and Midnight. And Mesa, if he still lurks.
Old 10-10-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Magsie

Willow, glad you got home safe and sober. Night night. sweet dreams.

Bim I just realised that there was a Nurse Rached in ‘one flew over the cuckoos nest’ too. I think she was a piece of work too.

Vinny I loved the first series of Fargo and didn’t really watch any others. I may get back into it. I think I won’t be going far over the winter months.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:45 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Hey weekenders. Checking in on only my second sober weekend in a row for over 3 months. Today is day 10. Its been a hard day. Took my new dog to one of my favourite walking locations and forgot his leash which totally ruined that, I was really disappointed but I can try again tomorrow. Onwards
Old 10-10-2020, 09:52 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

...."a short times a long time then your mind just won't let it go,"

More music from Jack Johnson

Old 10-10-2020, 01:21 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I had a month trial subscription to Netflix but cancelled it before I had to pay for the following month. I'm not really a TV person unless it involves sport so after a few days into my subcription I barely bothered watching anything.

I've had a couple of AV twinges today. One not long after waking and the other when I was walking home from visiting my dad. I mentioned early last week that my dad was going into hospital for an operation (hernia) and the operation and the tablets (codeine) he was taking in the early days afterwards to help with the pain and soreness have both had an effect on him. He's 86 and in poor health anyway with very restricted mobility so for the past week he's not been able to do much at all. I've been going down every day to help him, cook a meal, clean etc. I don't mind doing it but he's quite a demanding person anyway and can be hard work at times. I'm not used to providing this level of care and while I've done it without complaining I've found it a bit overwhelming. Anyway, tomorrow I don't have to go down as my sister is going to visit him on her day off from work so I've got a free day to do nothing. So guess what popped into my head as I was walking home? Yup. A free day today to drink and tomorrow to recover. Thankfully I didn't take the thought any further but it did trouble me for a while. I know for a fact if I drank today I'd get drunk and would start again tomorrow. Then I would be in no fitstate to care for myself never mind anyone else on Monday.

Anyway, I got home and kept myself busy. Earlier this evening, instead of drinking, I treated myself to a takeaway meal from the local Chinese. Very nice meal although very filling. I did berate myself afterwards for eating too much but then smiled at the irony of criticizing myself for eating too much food as a one off when a few hours earlier I had briefly toyed with the idea of drinking which would probably have sent me on a two or three day bender. And which would have cost a lot more money than a takeaway meal.

Anyway, hope everyone is fine and I'm feeling good that I'm sober (and full!).
Old 10-10-2020, 02:41 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Robbie, I know exactly what you are talking about believe me. My thoughts often follow the same pattern when I leave Dad's, though it's not nearly as bad as when I use to grab beer as soon as I left and then hit the emergency stash of whiskey when I got home.
Old 10-10-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Well done Robbie, that’s a win against the AV for sure.

And Phil, well done on 10 days.

Well after going out for dinner last night, I have a gyppy belly this morning, yuk.
I actually didn’t enjoy myself last night, too crowded and too loud. And what about Covid restrictions? I know we don’t have cases here, but nobody was adhering to social distancing regulations which really annoyed me. And the food wasn’t that good. Which is even more obvious this morning...

I think I’ll not be doing much today, just drinking water and taking things easy.
I’m so glad I didn’t drink last night. I’ll bet everyone else is feeling pretty ordinary today!