SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   One week in (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/449911-one-week.html)

thebats 10-06-2020 06:17 PM

One week in

Hi, first time on any kind of forum but I realised I just don have anyone to talk to. I am one week into no drinking. Prior to this my daily consumption was a couple of beers and about half a bottle of wine, just enough to get a buzz but not enough for a hangover. I only ever drank between 9pm and 12 am. Since giving up I just feel bored, frustrated and a bit depressed which is unusual for me. I can't seem to motivate myself to do anything, is this a normal 'stage' and does it pass. I have probably been drinking like this for the last 12 years or so ands just want to get healthier and stop having alcohol as my only stress relief and hobby.

fini 10-06-2020 07:44 PM

hello thebats,
welcome.
yes, things change quite frequently during the first little while sober. not just physically and mentally, but we also often tend to discover just what all we used booze for and what we let slide or don’t know how to do or be.
getting involved and engaged in a forum was one of the helpful new things i did when getting sober.

MythOfSisyphus 10-06-2020 08:10 PM

Welcome to SR, thebats! I'm glad you found us here. Yeah, it's a big change and messes with your brain chemistry for a while but it kind of evens out a bit after a few weeks.

least 10-06-2020 08:12 PM

He TB :wavey: and welcome to the family. :)

You've found a great place for support and information. Congrats on the first of many sober weeks! :hug: Stick with it, it gets better. :)

TiredCarpenter 10-06-2020 08:15 PM

Welcome thebats!

Your body and brain have been used to the alcohol for years. This is a change, for sure.

You’ll find good support here.

Dee74 10-06-2020 08:50 PM

Hi and welcome to SR thebats :)

are you a fan of the NZ band of the same name?

D

DriGuy 10-07-2020 02:29 AM

Walking in the woods is my go to stress reliever, unless I have too much stress. Then in addition to exercise, I need to sit down and think. Often, focusing on the things I have to be grateful for will get me out of it.

Midwest1981 10-07-2020 02:41 AM

welcome thebats!

Exercise really helped me out during recovery.

thebats 10-07-2020 04:31 AM

thanks I have found myself craving loads of sugary food and drinks which has probably not helped with my mood, I have read a few articles that say sugar cravings are common in the beginning

thebats 10-07-2020 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 (Post 7522078)
welcome thebats!

no not the nz band (although I will look them up now😀!) , I couldn't think of a name so and I am reading a Batman graphic novel at the moment so just went with that

thebats 10-07-2020 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by least (Post 7522022)
He TB :wavey: and welcome to the family. :)

You've found a great place for support and information. Congrats on the first of many sober weeks! :hug: Stick with it, it gets better. :)

thank you I will!

thebats 10-07-2020 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by DriGuy (Post 7522073)
Walking in the woods is my go to stress reliever, unless I have too much stress. Then in addition to exercise, I need to sit down and think. Often, focusing on the things I have to be grateful for will get me out of it.

Thank you, I love walking my dogs and often use this as a time for reflection which helped lead me to the point of quitting in the first place I guess, you are right I do need to start exercising though

thebats 10-07-2020 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Midwest1981 (Post 7522078)
welcome thebats!

yes you are right I need to get up and do some exercise!