Notices

I hit the 8 year mark yesterday!

Old 10-07-2020, 07:20 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Congratulations MOS, awesome! And thank you for your many thoughtful, helpful posts on SR -- you've done a lot of good.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Really I almost never get urges to drink, maybe once every year or two and they're not very strong. Kind of a reflex, like- oh, I'm bored, I should get some wine. No, it's not the urges so much as the fallout from years of drinking. My life is pretty good by most standards but I can't help but think how much better it could be if I hadn't wasted half of it. It's water under the bridge but the thoughts do creep into my mind occasionally, especially as I get older. I'm 51 and some of the chances I wasted probably won't come around again.

Still, I wouldn't have regrets if I kept drinking because I'd be dead!
I’m the same age! I “only” quit 22 months ago, but like you I reckon it’s forever. Alcohol had by the balls and still has, so it’s best I steer clear. As you say, life’s going now, but we can’t do anything about the past. Think of those poor people who drank until they were ill with liver disease. They’d swap places with us in a second.
Old 10-08-2020, 04:56 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Congratulations. I've learned much from your posts over the years and it's awesome you still come on SR.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:31 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks, silentrun. Sometimes I get busy and don't pop in every day but I try to. Every day is someone's day one, every day someone hits rock bottom, and every day we face temptation. We're all actors in the same huge play, playing one role one day and another role another day. As the old saying goes, "Today you, tomorrow me."