Notices

I Owe This Section An Apology

Old 10-05-2020, 05:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

And just to add. I've always liked your username Treeguy.

I created a conservationist 'cartoon' this morning where all the little birdies were flying around looking for a place to perch, and there were no trees. They fell to the ground exhausted.

But we have you Treeguy, and are glad you're sticking around.

Old 10-05-2020, 05:29 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

We've all been there, Treeguy24! I'm glad you're feeling better and I want you to know we really are here for you!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
And just to add. I've always liked your username Treeguy.

I created a conservationist 'cartoon' this morning where all the little birdies were flying around looking for a place to perch, and there were no trees. They fell to the ground exhausted.

But we have you Treeguy, and are glad you're sticking around.
I chose it because I am a tree climber and work in the tree care industry providing arborist services / tree work, etc.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone, it's greatly appreciated.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am still struggling, and I am not sure why. But what I do know is I greatly valued the almost 5 days I had under my belt. I felt much better physically and mentally, even somewhat happy. It gives me some motivation for the future.
Old 10-06-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Most of us struggled treeguy, and most of us struggled even harder if we fell back into old ways after a period of sobriety/clean time. For some of us the shame and guilt and frustration we felt over ’failing’ again made us drink or use more...

If it was easy to stop or not pick up again there’d be no need for sites like this

The best any of us can do is keep trying, keep adding things to help, keep using support.

You obviously want recovery really badly. That’s a good tool to have

D
Old 10-06-2020, 12:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good job coming back and apologizing. Hopefully you can make sobriety stick this time?
Old 10-06-2020, 02:36 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by treeguy24 View Post
I chose it because I am a tree climber and work in the tree care industry providing arborist services / tree work, etc.
Great to see you back. I work in a garden and we rely on arborists to chop our trees down and give us much needed firewood Good to see you here
Old 10-06-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am still struggling, and I am not sure why. But what I do know is I greatly valued the almost 5 days I had under my belt. I felt much better physically and mentally, even somewhat happy. It gives me some motivation for the future.

Drugs and alcohol numb our feelings. We numbed so much that it became ingrained on a subconscious level.

If you were to slip while climbing a tree, you wouldn’t think; your body would immediately make the right moves to save you. It’s automatic.

By repeatedly responding to your emotions with substance, You (we) have taught your body that is how we deal with emotions. It’s automatic.

that’s how I view it and it really helps me to detach from the addiction. I KNOW that with repetition I can retrain that automatic drinking response. That’s why I focus a lot on replacements.

Old 10-06-2020, 03:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
nez

I struggled in early recovery. Small wonder though because I drank for 32 years. It was the life I knew. I was learning a whole new way to live. A life without what had become the biggest factor in the way I was living. I am a slow learner, so I struggled big time.

The l life I know today made the struggle well worth every ounce of effort it took. I completely believe that you will come to the same conclusion for yourself if you stay the course.
After five days you felt better physically and mentally, even somewhat happy. Just imagine after five weeks, then five months, five years. It is mind boggling!!! Do the work and the results come.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:22 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

No apology needed! Addiction is not a choice. Some people are more vulnerable than others. Took me a few years Ito realize I had a problem. My mother was an alcoholic and she was in denial her whole life.

I didn't realize I was an alcoholic because I had slowly progressed and never tried to stop drinking until I was too far gone.
Old 10-06-2020, 04:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I struggled a lot, too. You are not alone, so please keep posting.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

It's worth the struggle Treeguy.