Notices

Sitting in my driveway

Old 10-01-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sitting in my driveway

I'm relaxing outside in my driveway on this beautiful day. I weeded the garden and I don't want to go inside because my thoughts start spinning out of control when I'm surrounded by 4 walls. Im trying everything I can to keep myself occupied and busy. It seems to keep the anxiety and depression at bay when I'm constantly moving.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RAB12345 View Post
I'm relaxing outside in my driveway on this beautiful day. I weeded the garden and I don't want to go inside because my thoughts start spinning out of control when I'm surrounded by 4 walls. Im trying everything I can to keep myself occupied and busy. It seems to keep the anxiety and depression at bay when I'm constantly moving.
Then don't go inside. Take yourself on a 1 hour walk from home, or jump on your bike or grab your tent and head for the hills/coast.

Do what you need to do.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, do what works, do what you need to do. I'm glad you're enjoying the day.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Try deep breathing and maybe even something sweet? What about music?

being sober is a learned behaviour so it takes time. Be patient and take it one second at a time if you have to. This will pass.

Old 10-01-2020, 04:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you now RAB?

D
Old 10-01-2020, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
How are you now RAB?

D
I'm a little better because I have to take this mood stabilizer while I wait for the meds to work. I'm going to ask at the psychiatrist tomorrow if I can stop it soon when the antidepressant starts working. I don't think I need both but I'm not a doctor.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Try deep breathing and maybe even something sweet? What about music?

being sober is a learned behaviour so it takes time. Be patient and take it one second at a time if you have to. This will pass.
I like music. I need to get headphones.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can really relate to this. Back when I was drinking or shortly thereafter I would have intense panic attacks. I would be short of breath, heart racing, on the verge of calling 911. So I would tell myself to go outside and walk. As soon as I got outside I started feeling better. Once I started feel better, I'd turn to return home and the anxiety would start again. In the end, my mind/anxiety was causing my physical symptoms. I don't know whether I was associating my house with my bad behavior or what, but being inside was driving me insane. Something about seeing more than my constant immediate surroundings perhaps. Anyway, thought I'd share.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sitting outside, or going for a walk listening to music sounds like s great plan. ❤️
Old 10-02-2020, 02:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

With many one days sober for myself, i can't just
sit inside all day. Sitting inside would drive me crazy,
so outside tending to my garden of paradise is where
one would find me most days.

I stay connected to my recovery lifelines one being
SR where I log on every day, share my ESH, experiences,
strengths and hopes of what my life was/is like, before,
during and after alcohol with others because it helps
me remain sober and grounded in recovery remembering
what is top priority in my life.

If I don't have sobriety/recovery then I have nothing
else. No nothing in life because I wouldnt be here.
Addiction takes and steals without care even ones
life.

There are many here in SR that have learned or learning
how to achieve continuous sobriety and enjoying lifes
many rewarding gifts keeping the alcohol demons away.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Rab,
If being outside make you feel better, maybe it's time to put up a canopy and sleep outside. LOL. I went back and read a lot of your past post. First of all congrats on making it 100 days. You should be proud of that. The first 3 months are the hardest and when a lot of people fall off the band wagon. You have shown you have the desire to beat this.

I know you are battling your anxiety. Keeping busy and doing things that bring you joy will help that. I know you read that people hit their 90 day mark and they feel great. Everybody journey is different. What takes some people a couple weeks to feel good might take others several months. People always post more about the positive strides they have made and not the negatives. It just the way us humans work. We like the praise of we have done something good. We don't like to admit the negatives and share them. That takes a lot of courage and strength to come forth and tell that. This also shows that you want to beat this on all fronts.

I would go get your self some headphones. Listing to music really helps calm down my anxiety . Also like you being outside helps also. Love doing projects outside in my yard. While gardening season is over now for me i will replace it with something else. Most likely more walks with the puppy. I hope you keep posting and keep coming back here for advice. Their are lots of people here that want to help and share their advice. Keep being strong and have a great day.