Notices

I don't think I'm going to be able to graduate

Old 09-30-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't think I'm going to be able to graduate

I missed so much of second and third year because of drink and drugs. I don't know anything about mech engineering. I don't know how I can possibly complete the course work for fourth year. I have so much regret.

I had a meeting with a potential thesis supervisor yesterday and it just made me realize how much I don't know. I was tempted to drown my sorrows with a few drinks afterwards but I didn't. Did chainsmoke a pack of 20 in about five hours though. At least I'm sober. I have that going for me.

I still haven't received my invitation to register which is another source of stress. I'm missing out on labs and lectures because of not being registered.

I'm tempted to just give up. Try and find a job instead.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never did engineering but I know people who did - a lot of them lost time drinking and drugging in earlier years of their degree.
I believe you could make up the distance, like they did in the final year - but not if you count yourself out now.

Working towards something right now sounds to me like it would be very good for you, FF.

D
Old 10-01-2020, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I never did engineering but I know people who did - a lot of them lost time drinking and drugging in earlier years of their degree.
I believe you could make up the distance, like they did in the final year - but not if you count yourself out now.

Working towards something right now sounds to me like it would be very good for you, FF.

D
Thanks Dee. Yeah it would be good to have something to work towards.

I guess I should stop being so hard on myself. I did pass second and third year, as my friend pointed out to me. So maybe I could pass fourth year.

I wish I could get registered though. I'm going to ring the registration office today and see what the story is.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If I could get into engineering and pass the first and second year, I could pass the rest.

Success is built on a series of failures. Never say die!

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2020, 06:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ff, it took me 11 years to get my BA. Working full time of course and wasting all my money on booze, girls, vacations, and cars.

So, it was fun. But it will not last! Please get it together. You won't regret that.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's really weird that you're not registered....I don't think you're US based so maybe it's different where you're at? But I would focus on that first and foremost. Whenever I get really anxious about a task that seems too big, I try to make a list of the things I can do RIGHT NOW and that always makes me feel better. Getting to the bottom of the registering issue will help, and it's something you can do right now. Once you get that settled I think you'll feel better about the rest of the year.

If you're committed to finishing your degree, just keep your head down, stay sober, and take each day as it comes. I believe you can do it.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Checking with the registrar's office sounds like a good plan. Maybe there is something you can do to speed up your registration.

Since you've passed second and third year, I expect that you can pass 4th year, too. But, I think it will depend on you staying sober. You can do this!
Old 10-01-2020, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
nez

You haven't lost your chance to graduate. It is still there. It didn't magically disappear. You may just have to make adjustments as to time and efforts in order to see it come to fruition.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
I'm tempted to just give up. Try and find a job instead.
Instead of giving up, why not just start over? You know - get it right this time...
Old 10-01-2020, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey, I did mechanical engineering at uni! I’m not going to promise it’s easy, but I’m not the brightest, and I reckon I had the beginnings of alcohol dependency even back then. Nevertheless I scraped through, and it certainly paid dividends. Just those few weeks of cramming before the twice yearly exams was enough. I haven’t really used much of the engineering content since (although I’m now a science teacher so I do now to a certain extent), but the amount of doors having that qualification has opened is huge. I’ve worked abroad for many years, changed careers twice and it’s never been dull.

Not everyone can be an engineer. If you are and you get qualified, you’ve got it made. Stick with it and do whatever it takes to get through.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm adopting a new attitude. As long as I stay sober and put the work in, I will graduate.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
nez

I'm adopting a new attitude. As long as I stay sober and put the work in, I will graduate.
Way to be! That is the attitude. The only thing can hold you back is you and with that positive attitude you won't allow that to happen.

Old 10-01-2020, 11:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Make a plan.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I'm adopting a new attitude. I will stay sober and put the work in, I will graduate.
Fixed that for ya.
No charge.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:28 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I also got a degree in mechanical engineering. It is a very hard road to walk on your own. My advice, other than staying sober, is to find 1-2 other people in the classes that you can study with. The classes in year 3 are the hardest but 4 is tough too. I don’t know if I would have made it without the guys I studied with.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

thank you, FF, for sharing your attitude switch. it helped me just now, too.