Notices

Temptation

Old 09-27-2020, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Temptation

4 months today and finally starting to feel tempted to drink again. I know that the cons would far outweigh the immediate gratification and I don't want to undo my progress. But it does sort of feel like the honeymoon is over, especially after feeling so optimistic last month. Quarantine has me so isolated and depressed. It just feels absurd to try to be doing my day job right now. I'm checked out, burned out, and emotionally exhausted. Feel cynical and defeated, empty and lonely. Sometimes I just want to go back to box wine just to get out of my head for a bit and not be in so much pain. I'm being dramatic, but thanks for letting me vent and always being such a supportive community. I know now more than ever that I just have to sit with my feelings and process everything, but craving that distraction is a battle.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 4 months of recovery.

Covid has definitely had a big impact on our activities. It sounds like you need to find something to bring some joy into your life. What do you enjoy doing? Are you able to get out and walk? I'm not sure where you are, but I'm loving these early Fall days. Can you call someone and chat on the phone or FaceTime? Do you have a good book to read? It's really important to do more than just stopping drinking. In recovery, I hope you can fill your life with people and activities that you love, even in covid.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The best advice I got to shore up my sobriety was to practice gratitude every day. It was hard at first cause I was in early recovery and still felt depressed and anxious, but I made myself find at least one thing to be grateful for every day. Now I am constantly finding things/people/events to be grateful for.

Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose but your misery.

Four months sober is fantastic!
Old 09-27-2020, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I just want to go back to box wine just to get out of my head for a bit and not be in so much pain.
I'm sure if you really think back you'll remember a box of wine bought its own pain with it, and its own consequences and problems.

You're a non drinker now - you don't fall for the old lie that drinking like we did is useful for anything, or drinking as we did brings something good with it.

If you're like me the idea of one or two glasses is laughable - we'd have to drink the whole box.

Stay strong!

D

Old 09-27-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Pandemic has definitely been a struggle. I think a lot of people in general are feeling more anxiety / depression lately. Try to hang in there. I have days where it feels like I can’t concentrate on even the simplest thing just because there is so much bad stuff going on in the world right now. But it can help to focus on the things you can control and not dwell on what is outside of your control.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I say the addiction morphs.

I relapsed unknowingly hundreds of times. Now I know my av will tell me anything to drink.

After it happens, I will regret it. It is forbidden fruit.

I have to be a big boy and suffer until the crave goes away, like it always does.

When it goes away, I feel amazing that I made it through.

Thanks for posting. It reminds me of when I craved at 4 months.

Thanks for the therapy.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You know what? If going back to bed and pulling the covers over your head just to get through the day without drinking is what you need to do - DO IT.

Tomorrow is another day and you'll have the entire night to adjust your attitude.
Getting through every day sober is a lot easier when you have a good attitude.

Don't wait for the attitude to hit you - change it yourself by changing your perception.