Notices

I'm so bored

Old 09-26-2020, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so bored

I don't have any AV at the moment, but boredom has been a trigger in the past. You're never bored when you're drinking. What does everyone do to fill their days? College hasn't really started yet so I can't study. I've already gotten my exercise for the day. I don't feel like reading or watching TV. I suppose I could go for another walk. I'm trying to walk 10km every day. My life is so empty. I only have one friend and he lives in a city 80km away so I don't see him often. I cleaned my room and sorted out my wardrobe and now I'm just refreshing SR. There's hardly anyone posting.

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to fill my Saturday?
Old 09-26-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Erica375

Did you ever have any hobbies? What did you like to do as a kid? You don't have to be good at it; the end result is less important than doing it.

Some of my hobbies are
--drawing, painting
--needlework (crocheting, knitting, embroidery)
--sewing ( mostly masks these days).

I bet others here will have more suggestions.

You are working so hard at this and doing so well! Don't allow boredom to derail your progress!
Old 09-26-2020, 06:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
You're never bored when you're drinking.
Drinking isn't activity. It's consuming a mind numbing substance. If it didn't make you drunk, you'd be bored.

Boredom is a state of mind. To "unbore" yourself, find something to engage the mind, or the body. Or both.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes go for another walk. Don't get twitchy else the AV will start to bug you. Think of a different route and go explore.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Volunteer at a food bank. Cut someone's lawn. Talk to a lonely person.Helping others is great therapy. Looks good on your CV and allows one to see how lucky one really is.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nobody's posting? Here is the backlog of threads and posts. I'm absolutely positive you haven't read them all:

Threads: 333,408, Posts: 6,495,251

Wanting attention was one of my most unattractive character traits as a young girl. I had to learn to entertain myself in my own way without asking for help with that. All I did was annoy my poor grandma with the, "There's nothing to doooooooooooooo." She would always find a chore for me. Don't you have any chores that need to be done? Laundry? Vacuuming? Cleaning your room? Cleaning the refrigerator?

Boredom is just a negative way of looking at Free Time to do whatever I want.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I binge watch shows. Some have over a dozen seasons.

Cleaning my base boards, dusting, play guitar, golf, nap, eat etc etc.

I get board too and it is a trigger for sure. But, the crave goes away without me even realizing it.

I can spend 3 hours at the gym. I don't work out the whole time. I take long breaks between sets. I also walk on the treadmill for around an hour. Today I am doing that.

I was craving last night after work, but it went away in a few minutes. But, the crave was fierce.

I have to learn to live as I was designed. A non drinker. There is no biological creature that was intended to drink alcohol.

Back in the olden days, it was a drink consumed because water was tainted.

I was duped into drinking by society. I thought it was cool, but really I just got addicted at a young age.

Thank God I learned about it from SR. Drs don't talk about booze like this.

Both of my Drs drink. One drinks too much. His eyes are red and he looks weak and off balance. He told me he drinks too much. He said it was ok because it was good wine. Whatever.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Mine have been:

fishing
hunting (helps to live in a rural area)
kayaking
walking
reading
listening to podcasts
watching YouTube videos
meal prepping for the week
knocking out my to-do lists
reconnecting or getting together with old friends (in a non drinking environment)
going to AA meetings and meeting new people (working the steps will probably take up a lot of time as well)
going to sporting events
Old 09-26-2020, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Getting drunk wasn't something to do. It was a substitute for finding something to do. Retraining my brain to actually find things to do took a little time and a lot of practice.

I did it.
You can do it.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You sound like you are setting yourself up for a relapse to me. Being "bored" was an excuse I used a lot to get back to the bottle instead of finding useful / fun / meaningful activities to fill my time with.

I can't believe that in your final year of college, that there isn't work you could be doing to prepare ahead for the courses you are enrolled in. Working ahead by outlining chapters in your textbook, getting a start on projects, preparing other content, etc. would be a pro-active step for when the stress of workload and turn-in cycle hits, which would be very smart given you just told us that you were "behind" due to not being able to register.

Not trying to be tough here in any way, but honest about what I see, having been there myself many times.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here you go, lots of ideas:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ething-do.html (Looking For Something To Do?)
Old 09-26-2020, 09:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Working ahead by outlining chapters in your textbook, getting a start on projects, preparing other content, etc. would be a pro-active step for when the stress of workload and turn-in cycle hits, which would be very smart given you just told us that you were "behind" due to not being able to register.
I was going to suggest the same ^^
Old 09-26-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
01-14-2019

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Getting drunk wasn't something to do. It was a substitute for finding something to do. Retraining my brain to actually find things to do took a little time and a lot of practice.
This was also my experience. I felt like I was bored and getting grumpy about it. That can set up the AV to scream. As I stayed sober and started filling up time with more things I was amazed at how much time was given back to me. So what feels like boredom now will eventually be time you are thankful for.

Like you I stared off with a lot of walks. If I was bored but refusing to do something else like books or TV, I sometimes just put my ass to bed for the night. I don't know if you have a car or a bike but you can use those and walk somewhere different! Even with Covid there was plenty of new local park areas to investigate.

It will come to you. Just don't drink! Boredom is part of the life experience - maybe just accept that it happens sometimes. Think of it as calm time.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

This thread is 24 karat gold advice FF

D
Old 09-26-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nez

Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to fill my Saturday?
Finding things to fill your Saturday, should keep you busy enough that boredom won't be an issue.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I feel bored, I either walk my dog or we take a nap, depending on the time of day.

I agree about prepping for school. If you have your textbooks, start reading one of them just to get a heads-up on the course of study you'll be doing.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Definitely think about going for another walk. I can definitely get sucked into shows on Netflix, there really isn’t no end to the shows on there. I also love to read, and if I have the times can spend all day doing so. Make a list of projects you want to get done and start tackling one today. If you I’ll be living on campus or in an apartment once school starts you can start organizing your things. Take a look at scholarship opportunities, if you have time fill out an application or two. If you are staying home while at school take the time to go through and organize your clothes, and then donate any you are no longer wearing. Go to the store and buy the ingredients for your favorite meal, and make that tonight for dinner.

Lots of others posted great ideas as well. If all else fails read and post on here all day.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post

I did it.
You can do it.
Oh SNAP!

This^^^
Old 09-26-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We are as humans always making an excuse to say we’re bored and it’s the biggest trigger there is an addiction issue but there’s always something we really should be doing that we’ve probably been putting off for ages since being sober 57days despite the pandemic chaos because of all I’ve got done there’s no house or routine chaos in my life which helps my overall well-being just stick in everyone 🤗
Old 09-26-2020, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

God, I remember that feeling. I hated and feared the boredom. I slept a lot. There’s been a lot of good advice, I just want you to know it will pass. You will be able to fill your days again and eventually not have enough time for all of the things you want to do. Keep up the good fight FF.