Notices

Sober but not clean now

Old 09-26-2020, 04:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober but not clean now

All I have done is switch my drug of choice.Instead of drinking 24/7, I am smoking marijuana 24/7.Got out of detox AGAIN on 6/24, have slipped up a couple of times and bought alcohol.I found the alcohol gross and unenjoyable, kind of pointless.I just smoke a lot which really doesn't do much, and sleep 18 hours a day.I just can't stand my life clean and sober.I have to escape from reality.Well, at least I don't have the shakes or have to go to detox again if I quit.Life is bad but at least I am not drinking AGAIN! Talk about rationalizing....
Old 09-26-2020, 04:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Weed is a big improvement over heavy drinking.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did the same thing a few years ago. Smoked weed every day for about 6 months instead of drinking. Got super paranoid toward the end so I stopped. Started again during a couple difficult periods when I needed to sleep. Been off everything for over 100 days now. I agree with FF that weed Is better than alcohol. But the goal should be to completely sober...off everything and free! I wish you the best!
Old 09-26-2020, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I’m dealing with a similar issue where I am in a recovery program for one substance but started using another.

It’s good to hear you’ve done pretty well with staying away from the alcohol, but just something to keep in mind and be aware of is that using any drug could potentially lead to a relapse on another, or in this case alcohol.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hm.

That's too bad. Because it IS possible to enjoy sobriety and recovery without wanting a drug.

It's all about attitude.

"Talk about rationalizing...." I don't see you rationalizing. You just don't want to quit. That's it. You don't need an excuse to use. You need an excuse to stay clean and sober.

I have a great excuse to stay sober. Because I decided to... Sometimes it sucks. But - - - - - - Oh well.

Old 09-26-2020, 09:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Dave

If you're smoking weed 24/7, you're not sober. Plus, it must be costing a fortune.

What is it you're trying to escape? Because that's what you need to address.

I'm nearly six months clean from weed after being a daily smoker for three years. Couldn't imagine my life without it back then. It's a cliche that gets bandied about a lot, I know, but if I can do it, so can you.

I hope you stick around and put some real effort into your recovery - because that's what it takes. Feel free to message me directly; maybe I can offer you some advice on beating it? Peace x
Old 09-26-2020, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i want to get off of the MJ because nothing has changed in my miserable life but my drug of choice.It's not that I want to get high as much as I don't know how to live in my skin for more than a few hours at a time.Usually by sleeping the day away.Alcohol, drugs, and life itself are the perfect vicious cycle.My life is so bad with significant medical problems that I don't want to be alert and cognizant for any amount of time.NOTHING brings me happiness, nothing from the limited menu of choices allowed me.I basically live the life of an 80 year old and need to escape through the aid of alcohol or drugs.Again, the perfect vicious circle.I hate life and are in so much suffering that I need to escape from myself.By using, nothing improves or changes.Repeat to infinity.Talk about stuck in a loop!
Old 09-26-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

We have a marijuana forum here too Dave.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...ana-addiction/

It’s for everyone who knows that being addicted to weed is not ‘better’ than being addicted to alcohol, or anything else.

I totally destroyed myself and my life on weed as much as I did again later with alcohol.

Addiction is addiction and it sucks.

D
Old 09-26-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It’s great that you are here and posting. Your comment about nothing bringing you happiness and needing to escape really spoke to me. I think most of us drank or used drugs to escape from something, the problem was that something is still there when you sober up. I had to actually learn to feel all of the emotions I’d been trying to escape, and to find healthy ways to approach them. Exercise and mindfulness are both really important to my recovery.
Old 09-26-2020, 05:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think it's really great you have ditched the booze. Next challenge, the weed. Try cutting back. Taking a few days "weed free". Be kind to yourself.
Old 09-26-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

I tried to use weed to slow down my drinking this last year. It really didn't help much. I isolated on weed just like I did on alcohol. I guess I am just an addict. There is weed in my home. Not mine but the people who have it offer it up as a "better alternative" to alcohol. For most that may be true. For me it's not. I can relate to the health issues and living the life of an 80 year old. That's me right now. After 13 days however.......IDK, sobriety may be possible. Personally I won't touch weed even though Rum is my thing. Getting out of isolation is helping me more then I thought was possible. Coming here and reading. Going to online AA meetings all over the world and listening. People care. This is our tribe. We can do it together. I need you here.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BIGDAVE View Post
By using, nothing improves or changes.
You said it yourself here, Dave ^^

I hope you continue to use this site and seek help
Old 09-28-2020, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BIGDAVE View Post
i want to get off of the MJ because nothing has changed in my miserable life but my drug of choice.It's not that I want to get high as much as I don't know how to live in my skin for more than a few hours at a time.Usually by sleeping the day away.Alcohol, drugs, and life itself are the perfect vicious cycle.My life is so bad with significant medical problems that I don't want to be alert and cognizant for any amount of time.NOTHING brings me happiness, nothing from the limited menu of choices allowed me.I basically live the life of an 80 year old and need to escape through the aid of alcohol or drugs.Again, the perfect vicious circle.I hate life and are in so much suffering that I need to escape from myself.By using, nothing improves or changes.Repeat to infinity.Talk about stuck in a loop!
I'm not sure what to tell you, but this does not seem like you are in a good place. I have no idea why. Pot may be a better choice than alcohol, but it depends on how deep into the rabbit hole it takes you. Both can be harmful. At the risk of sounding preachy, I like reality. I like the gritty realness of reality. I like the challenge of it. Not to say it's great all the time, but it's always better than being drunk or in an intense anxiety freakout from pot. I wish you the best.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What would be considered complete sobriety? Not trying to start trouble just opinions. It seems like Dave is self medicating with pot to relieve his alcohol addiction. My addiction and drug off choice has changed over the years. I get off alcohol for about 8 years. Today I have a 137 days off opiates which has been prescribed to me for years but has become my drug off choice and cause me to abuse my prescription. So let's say an alcoholic is in recovery but his doctor puts him anxiety meditation this pill that magic pill for everything to get past the initial withdrawal period. Wouldn't he be still not completely clean? I asked this question because it has been given as a option not a requirement that I can take anxiety medication if needed. I declined my personal opinion is that I would setting myself up for a whole other addiction in the future. For others dealing with sobriety did you find yourself self unable to function after being introduced to this medications to help during your sobriety? I remember reading a post but a member who stated alot of people in sobriety keep different dates of when they have quite alcohol, pot etc. And they have found it to be beneficial and more easy to maintain because they can start with the most heaviest addiction the has caused them to hit rock bottom, then continue with the other addictions.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
nez

For me, the definition of sober is found in my soul. The definition is only applicable to me though. I am not qualified to judge whether anyone else fits the definition or not.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

It doesn't really matter what any of us thinks Stickyone.
Big Dave wants off the weed because it feels it's the same as his alcohol addiction, and I can identify with that.

D
Old 09-29-2020, 02:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Not to thread jack Dave. I was just looking for different opinions. It's something that I'm having trouble with personally. Anxiety medication and other medication has been a option for me. But I'm just fearful that they could be trouble with myself seeing my addiction for medication. I'll just keep continue my path on recovery and self care and things should fall into place. Have a great day
Old 09-29-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know you had no intent to thread jack.
Its a good topic for its own thread

D
Old 09-29-2020, 04:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I know you had no intent to thread jack.
Its a good topic for its own thread

D
Thanks Dee74