Notices

Not much left.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Wake Your Dreams

Not much left.

I don't know what it is going to take. I woke up in a motel in a different town. Made it home. Walked in the house and fell down the stairs. I was told I was turning blue and had stuff coming out of my mouth and nose. Woke up in the hospital. They said I was .43. It's been 12 days without a drink but I am still pretty beat up emotionally and physically. I found AA meetings online thanks to Covid-19. I am finding seeing the same faces every day is helpful. I'm just wondering what is going to happen the next time I want to pick up. My success rate has been zero. Somehow I have to not take that first drink. I don't know if that is possible for me.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

My success rate was zero too Larry but SR helped me turn my life around. I know you can find help here too
Welcome!

D
Old 09-25-2020, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 12 days. This can be the time you find longterm sobriety.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have woken up in the ER multiple times over the years. I don't even bat an eye anymore. I know in a weeks time I may drink again. That's the power alcohol has over me.

I go on week long benders and when I sober up, I barely remember what I was up to or how the binge started. Avoiding that first drink is really my only defense.

Many of us here have similar stories. You're not alone! Put it behind you and try again!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Larry. All of our success rates were zero until that day 1. You have a 100% success rate over the past 12 days! It can be done and you're doing it! At this point you're already past any of the physical dependency withdrawals....It's all mental from here on out. Believe it! Keep checking in.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Larry. I think sobriety is very possible for you. If seeing the same faces everyday is helpful, perhaps reaching out when an urge comes over you will be a useful tool. I surely would ride that crave wave with you until it passes. And, it WILL pass. Congrats on 12 days.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Erica375

Welcome, Larry, and congrats on 12 days!
Old 09-25-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is a solution 🙏
Old 09-25-2020, 07:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Larry, it IS possible. Look around here, and know that we've all felt that we couldn't do it.

Good job on getting to Day 12.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
My success rate has been zero. Somehow I have to not take that first drink. I don't know if that is possible for me.
Of course it's possible.

Your success rate isn't zero anymore is it ... no. You have 12 days. That's not nothing.

And you're right - just don't reach for a drink and you'll be okay.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Larry! 12 days sober is a great start. I hope you fully utilize the support here to help you get and stay sober for good.

SR has helped me stay sober for almost 11 yrs now and I know we can help you too.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's a cliche, but I'm saying it anyway. You don't have to quit for forever, just don't drink today. Don't think about what you might do tomorrow. Just make certain each do you are doing the next right thing. That's how we all keep our sobriety.

Congratulations on 12 days! That's amazing. You got this.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Larry. I'm sorry for the painful things you've been through. 12 days is wonderful.
Maybe this can be the time you stay free of it. I had to be disgusted with myself & fed up with picking up the pieces. I'd been drinking 30 yrs. - always knowing in my heart it was destroying me. Tried hard to find a way to hold on to social drinking - but it was never meant to be. Acknowledging that was the hardest thing - but after being brought to my knees a few times I had to face reality. It was poison to me and I couldn't touch a drop. I know you can let go of it - I sit here 12+ yrs. sober. You can do it too.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't know what it is going to take.
For me, Larry, it took my acceptance that me and alcohol didn't mix. it was a toxic combination that could only lead to my demise.

Yo've 12 days, that's great and not zero! What will it take? For me, it was reading around SR and interacting with people who'd stopped drinking via a method that made sense to me, then steadfastly applying it, everyday.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I don't know what it is going to take.
Everything you've got.
But look around this place.
Change is possible.
Therefore hope is reasonable.
You can do this.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It is possible you have already done 12 days just keep it going. You have to start somewhere.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:00 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

12 days means you are almost certainly past the physical detox. Eat as well as possible and drink plenty of water. Ideally, take vitamin supplements, particularly thiamine. Given your self-described pattern of drinking in the past, you should, in my view, also seriously consider a 28 day inpatient rehab program along with the AA meetings.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Lack of power was my dilemma. I had to find that power. I did that by praying, going to AA meetings, picking up the phone to another alcoholic and coming here and posting. These were and still are my mental defence against that first drink.

🙏♥️