Notices

Noneever’s Accountability Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Noneever’s Accountability Thread

I’m starting this thread to hold myself accountable and finally drag myself out of this mess.
It’s been 2 1/2 years since I was here. At that time I received a DUI. I did what I had to do to get it over with, told one person only, half heartedly went to some AA meetings and ‘moved on’. I cut my drinking back, but didn’t stop.
Cut forward to earlier this year- another DUI. Told everyone in my family, told my GP and started taking Campral. Started seeing a psychologist. All good.

Except I kept drinking. ‘Only’ once or twice a week, not much more than a bottle of wine each time. The anxiety and depression still there. Still wasting days hungover. Still canceling shifts due to hangovers.

Had court this week. Received my sentence and felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders at having that part over with.

’Celebrated’ with a bottle of wine that night. And woke the next morning to find my full name, profession, suburb I live in and the full details of my DUI and sentence in the local paper- online and hard copy.

I feel so ashamed and humiliated. Feel like I can’t return to work without having a panic attack. This has absolutely been one of the worst experiences of my life.

So here I am. It’s very, very clear that drinking is completely off the table. I clearly should have sought a lot more support years ago. So I’m adding SR to my toolbox and will start SMART and AA meetings from Monday.

Day 3 AF.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back noneever

Support really helps and, as you know, you'll find that here.

Think about a mid to long range plan too - embarrassment and shame can fade..if you can parlay those immediate feelings into a permanent dedication to staying sober, you'll be doing well

D
Old 09-24-2020, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you'll fully utilize the awesome support here to help you get sober for good.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
nez

Don't dwell on shame and humiliation, you are among friends. We understand and can relate. None of us got here on a winning streak. Glad you joined us as there is strength in numbers. Together we can do this.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Noneever! The good news is you can put the trainwreck behind you and live a sober life from here on out.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aw I really feel for you....that must be hard and I hate that the papers can print such personal details about people.

It sounds like it has been the push you needed to quit for good. I'll check in on your thread. Try and breathe your way through this bit.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back Nonever!
Old 09-26-2020, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thankful for the support here! Day 5 AF- not really sure why I’m counting days, but it’s good to see the slow increase. Zero cravings. Not much to say as I’m feeling pretty drained and flat.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
ZIP

Keep that effort going and stay strong.
Staying alcohol free will start the healing process...physically, emotionally, and within your relationships.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are you getting on noneever?