Made it one week - day 7

Old 09-26-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey FF, hope things are going well.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MaximusD View Post
Hey FF, hope things are going well.
Thanks MaxD. Things are going very well. On day 10. Double digits! I've been exercising and starting a diet today. Back in college though I haven't been able to get registered yet so I'm missing out on some labs and online lectures. But hopefully I'll be registered soon and I'll have study to distract me. AV is very quiet after I learned of some inappropriate behaviour when I was blackout drunk. I never want to drink again.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Double digits! Well done FF.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by freedomfries View Post
Thanks MaxD. Things are going very well. On day 10. Double digits! I've been exercising and starting a diet today. Back in college though I haven't been able to get registered yet so I'm missing out on some labs and online lectures. But hopefully I'll be registered soon and I'll have study to distract me. AV is very quiet after I learned of some inappropriate behaviour when I was blackout drunk. I never want to drink again.
Hi freedomfries,

I’d like to point out a subtle sort of Addictive Voice tactic.

When you say:

“I never want to drink again.”

it can mean two things in RR.

1 - It can be a statement about one half of your awareness of drinking again.

The full statement would be: “I never want to drink again, but I know I have a Beast of Booze that DOES want to drink again. But IT cannot move any of my muscles and therefore can never get what it wants.

2 - It can also mean “I wish to never drink again.” which is 100% Addictive Voice because IT is trying to deny that you have already solved the problem by deciding “I WILL never drink again.”

If you meant 1, then your Addictive Voice is going to hear it as 2. In fact, you can interpret it as your AV which caused you to not think of the other half of 1, which Recognizes IT. IT hates to be recognized by people who have made a Big Plan.

There is no reason to avoid being aware of the internal desire to drink that IT possesses.

In RR it is called “Aggressive Listening” - shining that laser thought light directly upon that desire when it comes to mind. You can even do what in RR is called “Shifting”, such as spending half a minute thinking about that nearby off-premise shop to recognize the old desire and then consciously slam down your Big Plan in ITS face just as you state it in your signature.

GT

Old 09-27-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good job on Day 10, FF.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:39 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Double digits is awesome.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 12. Had some non alcoholic wine last night. It was nice! And it was nice to have a few glasses of wine with my mother without being frustrated at how slowly she's drinking and having a secret stash in my bedroom so I can get properly blotto when she goes to bed.
Old 09-29-2020, 01:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Well done on double digits, FF!

I certainly won't be the first or last to say this, but be extremely careful around NA beers/wine.

It might work for some, but for recovering alcoholics 12 days into their sober journey? Probably not the best idea.

If you prove me wrong, however, I'll tip my hat to you!

Peace x

Old 09-29-2020, 04:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This may be the time for you as psychologist say there are 4 stages of "readiness" to stop addiction and once a person gets to the LAST Stage...they are pretty much "done".

1. Compelled by Authority to quit - have been court ordered to attend a program, or by an authoritive figure, teacher, psychologist, parent.
2. To escape criticism- again this could be from friends, family, colleagues, partners.
3. A person has become intellectually motivated...the person knows "intellectually" alcohol is damaging health and relationships.
4. Mentally and Emotionally broken...this is the done point....sounds like maybe the blacking out and affecting your sister....may just be you done point...since you are very upset by this and used it as a stopping point......

Going thru 3 of the stages is not enough....its usually the 4th that gets it DONE.

Best of luck to you.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Yeah I think I reached the last point.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

FF, I'm not sure where Misssy came up with that list, but I'm here to say that I had none of those things happen and I still quit. Well, maybe #3, but not because of relationships, it was just that intellectually I knew it was bad for ME and my mental and physical health.

No one criticized me or suggested that I quit. I had no legal consequences nor any authority in my ear (other than God - which was plenty!) I wasn't "broken."

Regardless, you ARE done, you don't need any other reason other than, "I don't drink, and I'm not changing my mind."

No matter what outside *thing* happens, you can (and did) quit for your own better life.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:56 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

FF, I was ready to quit without going through the 'four stages' mentioned in Missy's post. Whoever drafted them is in my experience wrong, because I quit without passing through the '4 stages'.. I was ready to quit, when I said I was....that list would've provided me with excuses to continue drinking - until I 'qualified' for stopping: by meeting all 4 criteria! And therein lies danger.