Notices

It's been a long time , ( sadly ) .

Old 09-22-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been a long time , ( sadly ) .

Although I've been a member for just over three years , I haven't posted here in quite a while and so decided to post in Newcomers . If someone could direct me to where to post in future , ( as I really do want to stick this out now and plan on future posts ) , it'd be appreciated .
Been drinking steadily more and more for last 8 years or so and if I thought it had a grip on my life when I first joined here , then well , I was badly mistaken . Now I'm at that point where I really do want to quit , as opposed , I think on reflection , to feeling that I should .
I've never felt so optimistic but know that I can't be complacent . I have a plan in place and aim to stick to it rigidly .
Old 09-22-2020, 11:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Newcomers Forum is always a good place to post, but you can post anywhere on the boards that you like.

I'm glad that you want to quit now, because motivation is very important in recovery. And, I'm glad you feel optimistic.

It's always a good idea to come up with a plan as to how you will stop drinking and stay sober.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back I have almost 9 months sober and I'm always here on the newbie threads. A lot of new people join the monthly classes also...there's a September class you can check out.

Congratulations on your decision to put alcohol behind you. It's an adjustment for sure but sobriety has given me a new lease on life.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi,

Sometimes it can take a few face plants before we get it right. Hope you nail it this time.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sobriety September , Alcohol Free Autumn

Thank you Anna and Sober45 for replies .
I think I will check that September forum out . Didn't realise it was the start of Autumn today , until a few hours ago . A great time to begin sobriety ; (then again , when isn't it a great time ) !
Old 09-22-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you LumenandNyx .
As I said earlier , I'm so determined this time , especially with the festive period coming up soon so it would be good to get a few months under my belt to help get me through the holiday celebrations . Then again , the way things are at the moment I don't think there's going to be much of those this year !
Old 09-22-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR Summerof76
Old 09-22-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Summerof76

D
Old 09-22-2020, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm so glad you came back to us Summer. This time for sure.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was born in August, 1976. Is your username a reference to your birth?
Old 09-22-2020, 09:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back Summerof76. You will not for a moment ever regret giving up the booze. You'll have a life. Just keep posting and join the merry crew.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Join the September sobriety class on this website and read and post everyday.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Summerof76 View Post
I have a plan in place and aim to stick to it rigidly .
We're with you. Can you explain the plan? It doesn't have to be in great detail. I'm just curious what it is.

Just so you know, when I quit, I didn't have a plan, although one started to naturally formulate on it's own. I'm not sure I would even call it a plan. It was mostly like some iron clad decisions I made. I did worry about attending social functions where drinking was going on, but this wasn't until 3 months into sobriety. People advised me about planning escape routes, which I decided I needed. That became a plan: "How to navigate dangerous environments or was I well enought to attend them at all." But that was like a mini plan not part of an overall plan. I don't know if I had an overall plan, but most successful alcoholics here see a plan as highly beneficial. Sometimes I wonder if I had a plan without recognizing it as a plan. I've been sober for so many years that I don't give much thought to planning anymore. I know what's safe, and I know much I can trust myself, so I don't think about it much. And yes, there I places I won't go and dangers I won't risk.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lovely Surprise !

When I checked in and saw all the replies and well wishes . Thank you ever so much everyone.
In reply to Wastinglife , my monicker was chosen as it was the best period of my life . The summer for that year was a very long one , ( seemed to go on forever ) , and a very , very hot one . Don't get many of either where I live ! I think I was at the best age to appreciate it as well.
To DriGuy , I think I posted a plan a couple of years or so ago so don't know if you can see that , (actually , I don't even know if I can see it ) ! , but the main point is to keep myself busy as I think apart from anxiety , I drank through boredom , ( and the buzz) .
I'm getting my anxiety under control , and absence of alcohol should also help that , and making sure I haven't got time on my hands . Also , I drive everywhere , ( as I would never drink and drive ; the amount I've paid out in disposable breathalisers for the morning after , I dread to think ) , and am avoiding old drinking haunts and shops and not carrying any money out with me , ( just on the off chance ) . But by far , if I manage this it'll be because I really want to now .
if anyone can suggest anything else that could be helpful though it'd be appreciated but when I give the site a good look at the weekend ,I'm sure I'll get more ideas ; ( think I recall seeing some last time I was here ) .
I've also posted on the September thread so I presume I post there more than anywhere now ?
Thanks again and I'll be sure to check in . On 2nd day and still going strong!

Old 09-23-2020, 02:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Summerof76, that was also the best period of my life because after I was born it was all downhill from there.....haha
Old 09-23-2020, 02:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Summer. As you can see we are all here for you. Most posting happens in the newcomers forum.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back! I hope you'll utilize the support here to help you get sober for good.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back! It took me a while to finally get recovery right, and SR was such a big part of finally doing Thea. I still read and post here daily, and that really helps. If you are looking for a few good threads Togo was you an extra layer of support the 24 hour thread, and monthly class, which should be September of 2020 are really good ones.

Looking forward to seeing your posts!
Old 09-24-2020, 11:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

On The Third Day ...

... and still going strong .
Can't recall the last time I didn't drink for three days . Or when I last cooked a proper meal but I have just done that ; ok , it's only Spag Bol but anything that involves chopping up and stirring around as opposed to boil in the bag cod in sauce or pizza out of an oven is cooking in my book . I won't be dishing up Lobster Thermidore with melted butter any time soon , but it's a start .
Actually , I had problems cooking a pizza once . Whilst eating it I noticed it was particularly crunchy but put it down to being a thin and crispy one and probably overcooking it . It wasn't until I went to wash the tray from the oven , that I noticed the round whiteish pizza shaped circle on it. I'd cooked and eaten it with the plastic base still attached ! The saddest part is though that I hadn't even started drinking back then , which just goes to show , sober or drunk ... I'm still dozy !
I think I'll be ok tomorrow as will be out in the evening driving so the big test will be the first weekend . That's when boredom sets in and I don't have to worry about work the next day . Going to start planning something now. One thing I'll be doing is spending quite a bit of time reading people's comments on here and getting to know the site better . If I get through the weekend , I'll be so happy .
Best of luck to everyone and will post in a day or two . Sorry , if I've rambled on a bit .

Old 09-24-2020, 01:31 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Post as much and as often as you need to Summerof76

D