SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   AV is at it this morning (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/449650-av-morning.html)

Bent4455 09-21-2020 03:23 AM

AV is at it this morning

Morning all. Just want to say due to SR the weekend was great and actually slept well which is a new concept. This morning the AV is telling me that “you know how to control this now so you deserve drinks later” not going to listen to the BS anymore.

Erica375 09-21-2020 05:34 AM

Good morning, Bent. I'm dealing with that this morning, too. My AV likes to get me whipped into a frenzy over everything I should accomplish today. Then she ends with, "Well, that's all just impossible. You'll never get all that done. Might as well drink!"
So I've pulled the brakes to get all that nonsense to come to a screeching halt. I'll get done what I can, slowly, calmly, and without alcohol.

tomls 09-21-2020 05:46 AM

The most important thing in your life is your sobriety!

Sober45 09-21-2020 06:31 AM

You're right, it is nothing but pure BS and you don't have to listen to it. If you had a good weekend with SR then SR is working for you! Stay close:)

nez 09-21-2020 07:52 AM

not going to listen to the BS anymore.
Reminds me of how I react to politicians. AV and politicians can blather on all they want, but I ain't listening.

fishkiller 09-21-2020 08:10 AM

You deserve NOT to drink

LumenandNyx 09-21-2020 08:26 AM

High Five!!
:)

DriGuy 09-21-2020 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bent4455 (Post 7513817)
Morning all. Just want to say due to SR the weekend was great and actually slept well which is a new concept. This morning the AV is telling me that “you know how to control this now so you deserve drinks later” not going to listen to the BS anymore.

It's funny how everyone's AV says the same thing. Was it Carl Jung that coined the "Collective Unconscious?" Could there be a "Collective AV?" I think there is for alcoholics. Our AV always tells us the same kinds of lies, because like any logical fallacy, they are seductive. They even sound logical, while they defy the reality of what alcoholism is. They are so seductive that we fall prey to them, even when we have heard a thousand times from alcoholics that have been there that alcoholics can't control their drinking.

In fact, that's the definition of an alcoholic: "A person who cannot control his drinking." How much more plain can that be? But no, uh, uh; We don't really accept that: "Hey, maybe I'm not an alcoholic. It's just that I haven't learned how to control it." Well, good luck with that. If you struggle to control your drinking, you are not in control of your drinking. Normies don't make such a big deal about learning to control. They don't have to, because they are not alcoholics.

Congratulations for recognizing your AV and not buying into the BS. And I don't mean that to sound like a left handed compliment. It's actually a big step.

Obladi 09-21-2020 09:36 AM

Yeah, like DriGuy says.

And also, in What Universe does it make sense to even consider sticking your finger in the electrical outlet a 2nd (or 102nd) time? A really great way to recognize and dismiss your AV is listen to its suggestions as if you really care about yourself. I imagine you wouldn't tolerate anyone beating up on someone you love the way you used to beat up on yourself.

I got a desk plaque that says "I'm Kind of a Big Deal" because I needed the reminder that I'm an important person in my life. The addiction doesn't give a rat's skinny scrawny infested hind-quarters about you.

Bent4455 09-21-2020 09:49 AM

Thanks for all the great tips. The av is quieter than normal today.

Kdon853 09-21-2020 11:04 AM

You know that’s a lot worse things to be than a recovering alcoholic. you’ll learn to embrace and enjoy it. It’s tough in the beginning the main way s just don’t drink no matter what

Bent4455 09-22-2020 04:08 AM

I didn’t cave and once again up feeling good this am. Thanks for the sr support.

DriGuy 09-22-2020 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bent4455 (Post 7514321)
Thanks for the sr support.

You deserve it.

fishkiller 09-22-2020 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bent4455 (Post 7514321)
I didn’t cave and once again up feeling good this am. Thanks for the sr support.

Imagine feeling this good every morning!
Good Work!

Gabe1980 09-22-2020 08:08 AM

Good for you! There is nothing better than a sober sleep and coffee in the morning.

fishkiller 09-22-2020 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 (Post 7514464)
Good for you! There is nothing better than a sober sleep and coffee in the morning.

Amen