Notices

New Here glad to find this place

Old 09-24-2020, 12:37 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi: thank you Delilah and Zebra.

My brain is over excited mush today! It's taking a lot to focus at work. I'm work from home most days because our campus is closed. I'm also doing entirely new tasks. At my job this semester I heard a message from myself that said "sober up and keep your job by doing it and doing it well or keep drinking and go down the path of ruin." The leadership at my school worked to find tasks for me and my colleagues so that we would not get laid off or furloughed and I was about to ruin it by sliding into rock bottom? Instead of finding myself excited by the new opportunities I was overwhelmed and drinking and hiding.

I'm really glad to be getting sober. I am at a tipping point and could really screw up my life and my health (that's another story).

I feel like I just saved myself from a crash landing. I am doing pretty good at work because I am showing up and making the effort.

Anyway. I am grateful today.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:12 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anyway. I am grateful today.
Gratitude saved me when I was shaky in my sobriety. And practicing gratitude still keeps me strong and a lot happier. We even have a gratitude forum, if you haven't already found it.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:39 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you, Least. I found the gratitude forum.

I'm 10days today. I worked outside this morning in some real heat and now I am so tired! Working on hydrating. TV and going to bed early tonight because I have the whole weekend to rest and relax and repair.

Have a good one!
Old 09-25-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Rose! Congratulations on your ten days! You are doing amazing! Writing helped me a lot and still does. I write down all the things I have to be grateful for, and a letter to myself when I desperately want to drink and I add to that letter all the time when I’m feeling good. SoberRecovery was and is such a big help for me in my sobriety. Glad you’re here.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:18 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If no one already told you, welcome to the Grat Pack. There are a lot of us regulars and new members post every day. We cherish our grats.

Ten days sober is great! Keep going, it gets better. Not all at once, but bit by bit. One of these mornings you'll wake up and notice how things have changed for the better.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Way to go, Rosie!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:18 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations Rosie

D
Old 09-26-2020, 03:25 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Rose, I missed your thread when you showed up 12 days ago. I read your first post, and thought, "This woman is ready." Then I noticed this was an old thread, so I read on. Your last post was delightful. At the point you were in your life, 10 days is a big deal. I fumbled for a year staying sober for 3 days on rare occasion. At 10 days, I realized that I would do a month, and then a year, and then a decade. That was 24 years ago.

How are your cravings? Are they starting to go away? They will be there for awhile as bothersome distractions, but they will constantly become less so, until they become little more than silly thoughts. There will still be issues to deal with, and this forum can help with those. Stay in touch. We find inspiration in each other's success.

I wish you the best.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:02 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Angie247 View Post
Hi Rose! Congratulations on your ten days! You are doing amazing! Writing helped me a lot and still does. I write down all the things I have to be grateful for, and a letter to myself when I desperately want to drink and I add to that letter all the time when I’m feeling good. SoberRecovery was and is such a big help for me in my sobriety. Glad you’re here.
I think journaling could really help me. I am seeing a therapist too and that is really helping me. Thank you for sharing with me!
Old 09-27-2020, 03:03 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
If no one already told you, welcome to the Grat Pack. There are a lot of us regulars and new members post every day. We cherish our grats.

Ten days sober is great! Keep going, it gets better. Not all at once, but bit by bit. One of these mornings you'll wake up and notice how things have changed for the better.
Thank you so much for the welcome. I do appreciate this idea of gratitude and how powerful it can be in changing my views and keeping me centered. I want to post there every day!

Old 09-27-2020, 03:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
Rose, I missed your thread when you showed up 12 days ago. I read your first post, and thought, "This woman is ready." Then I noticed this was an old thread, so I read on. Your last post was delightful. At the point you were in your life, 10 days is a big deal. I fumbled for a year staying sober for 3 days on rare occasion. At 10 days, I realized that I would do a month, and then a year, and then a decade. That was 24 years ago.

How are your cravings? Are they starting to go away? They will be there for awhile as bothersome distractions, but they will constantly become less so, until they become little more than silly thoughts. There will still be issues to deal with, and this forum can help with those. Stay in touch. We find inspiration in each other's success.

I wish you the best.
Hi DriGuy - Thank you for taking the time to write. I have had cravings but I am at a point where I really can't handle being sick with active addiction anymore and so that is a very a strong deterrent for me! I plan to post as much as I can because I am feeling isolated and depressed following initially sobering up. Part of this malaise is also from working from home and the big changes in my life over this last year. Not drinking offers some peace for me in that regard. I need and want to sober up so I can also stop feeling so many deep emotional lows and short artificial highs. I know I need to be dam diligent with this recovery because it feels like I am at a slippery slope of destroying what I have built up for myself...marriage, good job, etc. Losing these things is a bottom that I don't need to see. I can get out. It isn't going to be easy but it is a doable thing..

I hope you are having a wonderful sunday!
Old 09-27-2020, 03:45 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Keep doing what you're doing Rosie!
Old 09-28-2020, 09:17 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi SR

Hope you had an ok Monday. Monday over was good...for me this means I went to work and wasn't ill and could participate in my own life. I am dealing with anxiety and feelings of insecurity. I also don't feel that great in general. It will take some serious time to heal my aches and pains. I did wake up today and for the first time in ages my lips were not chapped and peeling. This means I'm getting hydrated again. I'm 13 days today and it feels like the toxins are slowly leaving my body after I piled them on over time.

I'm restless and exhausted so I plan for a long walk tomorrow. A walk is something I can do when I am tired that will help with the unsettled feeling inside my chest. It is not too strenuous but it is strenuous enough.

Check in tomorrow!

Old 09-28-2020, 10:30 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Walking is an excellent exercise for so many reasons. I walk my little dog all over and always feel better when we come home. Walking is an easy exercise but is still very good cardio.

DriGuy is right about the cravings becoming less and less as you get more sober time. Mine were mostly gone after a year and now, at 11 years, I never have the desire to drink at all. Actually, the few times I even think of drinking it's with a feeling of revulsion.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:23 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Hi SR and Least

I am having some cravings but I am playing the tape through. I am at the point in my drinking where it is not fun and I can't go through the chaos that I create anymore. The whole world is going by, calmly. People don't drink and survive their hardships...and there I am wanting what they have but holding myself back by playing with the fire. I can't do it anymore.

I woke up today feeling significantly less depressed. It was very nice. I also feel well today and have an appetite which is so nice. I know there are hardships coming but today I am going enjoy my happiness...ahhhh.

Have a good day or night SR mates.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

That you caught yourself in time, this I relate to - I am grateful every day that nothing irreversibly horrible happened during my drinking days. At the beginning, all my energy was focused on not drinking, white knuckling it as they say. You're doing great and I admire your self awareness and courage.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:41 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tailai View Post
That you caught yourself in time, this I relate to - I am grateful every day that nothing irreversibly horrible happened during my drinking days. At the beginning, all my energy was focused on not drinking, white knuckling it as they say. You're doing great and I admire your self awareness and courage.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate the kindness of other addicts.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:08 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Day 14 and going to bed. I am so tired. My body is worn out. Have a good night.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:09 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Well done Rosie! Keep it going, you are doing so well
Old 09-30-2020, 02:15 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Well done Rosie! Keep it going, you are doing so well
Hi Gabe

I read your thread. We should be friends in early recovery! These early days are tough and doing it alone is too hard. I support you and encourage you to reach out if you want to drink - especially come friday