Notices

Alcohol in system

Old 09-08-2020, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol in system

Hi, I’m after some advice please. I keep trying and can go for months without a drink but then fall off big time. I’ve been sober for 4 days but had an absolute bender leading up to that. My worry is that my alcosense (self-breathalyser) is still showing as over the limit. I feel absolutely fine but can’t obviously get in the car and I need to! Should I seek medical advice? I’m concerned that I’ve damaged my liver so much that it simply can’t metabolise the alcohol in my system. Thanks so much, any advice appreciated!
Old 09-08-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome to SoberRecovery! I don't know anything about alcosense, but would think that the alcohol would be out of your system after four days.

I hope you can use the support here to stay sober for good. Read around and post often--it works if you work it!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Isn't there some online resource for your device that would tell you about this reading?

Obviously if you're worried why not get checked out by a doctor?
Old 09-08-2020, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I suspect your device is on the blink.
If you haven't had a drink for 4 days, I can't see how you would still have any alcohol at all in your system.

And also, of course check with a medical professional if you're worried.
It's always better to ask than to obsess in my book.

O
Old 09-08-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Peopleperson View Post
Hi, I’m after some advice please. I keep trying and can go for months without a drink but then fall off big time. I’ve been sober for 4 days but had an absolute bender leading up to that. My worry is that my alcosense (self-breathalyser) is still showing as over the limit. I feel absolutely fine but can’t obviously get in the car and I need to! Should I seek medical advice? I’m concerned that I’ve damaged my liver so much that it simply can’t metabolise the alcohol in my system. Thanks so much, any advice appreciated!
Hi,

The reason you keep relapsing is because you keep choosing to drink. Stop doing that. There are no good reasons to drink. Not even one. Drink something else.

If you need to go somewhere - walk, call a cab or take the bus.

Only you can decide if a treatment program is appropriate.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, it’s a really supportive group and I will check in often. Although I said I feel fine, I do have a slightly fuzzy head which is why I’m still worried although I know it sounds crazy to think there’s still alcohol after 4 days! Thanks again for the advice.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Coming off a bout of binge drinking will do that. You'll keep getting better the longer you stay away from the bottle.

I hope you decide to just stop.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome peopleperson

I've never used a breathalyzer but I found the Alcosense manual online with a quick Google.

I have nothing else to suggest apart from asking the people who installed it and/or your doctor?

D
Old 09-08-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When did you last have the breathalyzer calibrated? They need to be recalibrated every 6mo to a year or they fritz out.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

The fuzzy head thing for me was permanent brain damage. It only gets worse. It never gets better. I just got used to it, but it has taken the better part of 5 years.

Kindling.

Basically, I feel drunk without the euphoria all the time. Slurred speech, imbalance, paranoia. Yep. It's Gods way of saying, ok you want to be drunk all the time. Here you go.

The only way out is suffering and time.

Relapse and it just gets worse.

Thanks.