Notices

A letter to IT

Old 09-07-2020, 05:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A letter to IT

This morning I woke up and had a few thoughts to share with my addictive self. So, I wrote it a letter! (You may snicker but writing helps me). I refer to my addictive self as IT. Here it is:To IT:

Throughout life there are relationships that are hurtful, abusive, painful. Ones that take joy away and leave you beaten and abused. You are one of those relationships and it is time to say goodbye. You have stolen memories, specials days, people I love. You have robbed me of days, weeks, years and almost my life. And you just don’t care. You have often convinced me to keep trying to make things work with you with glimmers of a good memory. Memories that ultimately led to self-loathing, pain and more heartbreak. Your words are lies and I no longer believe them. You are selfish and only want for yourself. You take and leave me worse than before. I wish I had never met you, but I have, so now I must let you go. Everytime you try to rekindle this “romance” I will read this letter so I never forget who you really are and what you have done to me. Goodbye IT.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Nicely done, puzzle.

I wrote a letter (Goodbye, Alcohol) to my addiction when I left rehab. The assignment was to write a letter to alcohol, but I thought that was dumb because booze wasn't the problem - I was.
I hope you literally do keep your letter to re-read, preferably in your wallet so it's always close at hand.

Good morning and congratulations on your decision to leave your addiction in the dust.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Thanks for posting this.

I have asked a few times that folks that attended rehab offer some of the best techniques they used.

Cutting to the chase vs all of the details involved in a 30 day stay. I imagine in that period there is a ton of down time.

Thanks.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You’re letter resonates with me and I’m sure a lot of others. Alcohol addiction has all the characteristics of a toxic relationship. You’re building some serious sober muscles...keep it going!
Old 09-07-2020, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
This morning I woke up and had a few thoughts to share with my addictive self. So, I wrote it a letter! (You may snicker but writing helps me). I refer to my addictive self as IT. Here it is:To IT:

Throughout life there are relationships that are hurtful, abusive, painful. Ones that take joy away and leave you beaten and abused. You are one of those relationships and it is time to say goodbye. You have stolen memories, specials days, people I love. You have robbed me of days, weeks, years and almost my life. And you just don’t care. You have often convinced me to keep trying to make things work with you with glimmers of a good memory. Memories that ultimately led to self-loathing, pain and more heartbreak. Your words are lies and I no longer believe them. You are selfish and only want for yourself. You take and leave me worse than before. I wish I had never met you, but I have, so now I must let you go. Everytime you try to rekindle this “romance” I will read this letter so I never forget who you really are and what you have done to me. Goodbye IT.
Amen.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think that's really good. Goodbye and good riddance!
Old 09-07-2020, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great post thank you 🙏
Old 09-07-2020, 03:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Here's to a great new chapter for you puzzle

D
Old 09-08-2020, 08:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey puzzle, thanks for sharing that. Obladi's letter to his lizard brain was cool too. I hope they give that assignment at the rehab I'm going to and that they're not too squeamish about curse words because my letter will go something like this:

Alcohol,

EFFF YOU, YOU lying, conniving, piece of....!
Old 09-08-2020, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I liked your letter. Keep in mind that IT is YOU, or at least part of you. You are saying goodbye to you, or at least part of you that's as toxic to you as anyone else might be.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 09-08-2020, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I love the letter to IT, puzzle. That should do the trick. Hope you're doing great today.