Notices

Going to bed sober on Day 1

Old 09-04-2020, 02:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to bed sober on Day 1

A bad binge last night after reacting to work stress.

A difficult unpleasant day physically and emotionally.

Some alcoholics manage to drink heavily but still remain in control of their behaviour. For me that is not the case and I also do things I regret.

Very grateful to be going to bed sober tonight. Best wishes to all of you battling this addiction.

Old 09-04-2020, 02:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was so glad when I finally admitted drinking never helped with stress. I had relied on it for so long, & assumed it calmed me down. It did just the opposite - but I kept trying. I'm happy you'll be going to bed sober, Stable. It is not our friend.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are sober tonight Stable!
Old 09-04-2020, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
ZIP

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
I was so glad when I finally admitted drinking never helped with stress. I had relied on it for so long, & assumed it calmed me down. It did just the opposite - but I kept trying. I'm happy you'll be going to bed sober, Stable. It is not our friend.
Indeed. I finally discovered that drinking never helps with problems...it simply creates more problems.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day one Stable.
Make this be your last one, man

D
Old 09-04-2020, 05:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Samantha

I hate how drinking is a reaction to stress I'm right there with you. Sober sleep is so much better.
Old 09-04-2020, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you can get sober before something really awful happens as a result of your binging.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I’m glad you’re sober tonight!
Old 09-04-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

So what does a non-drinker or a moderate one (or hopefully an ex-drinker) do when they get stressed?

I lost both parents in the last year plus had a terrible job I was probably going to get fired from if I hadn’t left. By luck and willpower, I had a good few months of sober time before this s*** happened. I’m not saying I didn’t want a drink (although the cravings were tiny). To give context, my dad was in hospital and my mum had basically lost her mind as a result and wouldn’t even eat or get undressed for bed without help. I was hardly equipped to deal with that plus I then had to work in that awful job. It’s not an unusual story. Many many people deal with this often for years, but at the time it was stressful as hell. I knew a drink would’ve seen me relapsing and more to the point wouldn’t have helped.

Stable, has this binge resolved your work woes? No. It’s just another excuse to drink. If it goes on, you’ll become seriously ill and won’t be able to work anyway. Sorry to sound mean, but it seems you’re not doing anything to change your ways. Take it easy and don’t get stressed. Spend some time thinking how you can fix this.