Notices

First day

Old 09-04-2020, 10:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day

I have been a heavy drinker for as long as I can remember. It has caused me to lose people I love, my business and my respect for myself.
I have over the last 6 months cutting down and now only drink a couple of times a week ... the problem is that when I start I don’t stop.
I have to stop this awful cycle and have realised the only way to do this is to stop drinking all together.
I now admit that I have a problem with drinking and am willing to do anything to stop this from ruining anymore of my life.
I would like to thank you all in advance for any advice and support you offer.
much love x
Old 09-04-2020, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome t2c!

You have come to the right place. 30+ years of heavy drinking here and sober 8 months thanks in large part to SR.
Stick around, you can do it.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Time2change2020 View Post
the problem is that when I start I don’t stop.
Hi,

Stop starting. Then you won't have to worry about it.

Old 09-04-2020, 10:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

today is day one for me too; I also have cut back on how often I drink; but like you, once I start I keep going; here's hoping we both can make the change
Old 09-04-2020, 11:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fishkiller View Post
Welcome t2c!

You have come to the right place. 30+ years of heavy drinking here and sober 8 months thanks in large part to SR.
Stick around, you can do it.
Thank you xx I think that for the first time I have genuinely accepted that I do have an issue. In the past I have convinced myself that I don’t have one, usually by going 4 days without .. but then I stupidly do it again!
no more ... 😊🙏
Old 09-04-2020, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pattyspaw View Post
today is day one for me too; I also have cut back on how often I drink; but like you, once I start I keep going; here's hoping we both can make the change
Good luck with your journey... look forward to chatting with you x
Old 09-04-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard. You have already cut down and you know how to go days without it. I think you're in an excellent position to quit for good. One of the things I thought about a lot (and still do) is all the energy that went into trying to moderate drinking. Drinking like we do is exhausting to say the least.

Here on the other side (I'm at 8 months sober), it's a lot of work but so so worth the effort. I can look in the mirror now and I feel good about everything I've built up over the past 8 months.

Every month a new class starts so if you haven't done so already, maybe check out the September class.

You can do this!

Old 09-04-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. The best way to not drink too much is not to have that first drink. I hope our support and collective wisdom can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome! I had to make my sobriety the most important thing in my life. Best wishes for you on your journey!
Old 09-04-2020, 11:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
Every month a new class starts so if you haven't done so already, maybe check out the September class.

You can do this!
I will check it out thank you 😊

thank you so much for the support and congrats on your 8 months x I have literally just gone through the kitchen cupboards and poured all the alcohol away...
I truly believe this time will be different, I will succeed this time xx

Old 09-04-2020, 11:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
Welcome to the family. The best way to not drink too much is not to have that first drink. I hope our support and collective wisdom can help you get sober for good.
I could not agree more. I realise that I have no control over it, and never have. I really feel that my acceptance that I have an issue is the first step to succeeding, with all the help and wisdom from this fabulous group, this time xx
Old 09-04-2020, 12:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Glad you realise you need to stop drinking completely. You will get support here. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mary88 View Post
Welcome to SR. Glad you realise you need to stop drinking completely. You will get support here. I look forward to reading more of your posts.
thank you Mary88 I look forward to hearing all about your journey xx
Old 09-04-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Time2change - It's so great to have you join us. You'll find us an encouraging group who truly understand what you're going through. (The way others can't.)
I drank 30 yrs. Right from the beginning it was never enough. I loved the way it seemed to help me feel calm & relaxed - but over the years I grew dependent on it. I needed it to get through the day. What was once just weekend fun turned into a lifestyle. I'm sorry I wasted so many years trying to convince myself it was still enjoyable and manageable, when it was clearly not. This won't happen to you. Welcome!
Old 09-04-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Time2change2020 . Keep reading and posting at SR and make both part of your daily routine.

Welcome also to pattyspaw.
Old 09-04-2020, 01:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you are here! I relied heavily on SR while I was getting sober. I later enjoyed going to Secular Sobriety meetings, a couple of years in. You will make it!
Old 09-04-2020, 03:38 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm on day 1 as well. I feel like crap ....super anxious and scared but I will never stop trying to stop drinking.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Time2Change. The only way I know of to stop drinking is to just stop! Do whatever you can to keep from taking that first drink. It's hard at first but it gets easier the longer you stay sober.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You say you're willing to do anything. So what are you going to do? I found that using sheer willpower never works for me, so I needed a support group, a plan and some tools.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back to both you guys

My advice is not big on detail but I think you should do everything you can to stay sober..
Think about all your options - read around - write down all your options and ideas - even the stuff you don;t really want to do- and start choosing options you can get to work on today.

It might be changes in your life, or finding more support and using it.

It might be AA or another meeting based group.
It might be inpatient or outpatient rehab.

Make this time different

D