Notices

23 days in!

Old 09-01-2020, 02:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

23 days in!

Today makes 23 days for me and time is flying... I've been celebrating my birthday all week by going to the spa and getting my nails done and going out for dinner... even the sushi place we went out for dinner is a place that I used to drink martinis at.... someone that came to the dinner was drinking martinis and I had absolutely no issue with it.

I've still been soul-searching and meditating and listening to my sobriety podcasts and checking in Daily on the pledge sobriety app. Still cautiously optimistic.... trying to find the balance between not living in fear and stopping all of the things that I love but also not purposely putting myself in a unnecessary situation. I'm obviously not about to go to a bar or anything of that nature but if I were to have the chance to hear live music or go to a dinner or anything like that I would definitely still go out and enjoy myself as long as I'm 100% sure I'm feeling strong that day.

It surprises me every time that I'm sober how much old intrusive memories and thoughts come back to my mind and I quickly realize the reason why I've been using drugs and alcohol for more than 15 years... And I realize sobriety isn't the end goal... Sobriety is the beginning. Getting better so that I can be in a place to heal and be of service to others, realize my dreams and come to terms with my past. None of that I can do while using... I am sooooo extremely grateful and I have absolutely no plans on using. I have let go of the feeling that my life will be missing something without alcohol.... When I was drinking what my life was missing was ME..I was a total shell.... life is far from perfect right now but I will take it over the painful addiction cycle any day!!
Old 09-01-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 23

I'm the same, when I've got two or three weeks of sobriety under my belt I start to think negative thoughts. It's then that I realise I need to change the way I think as alcohol just masks whatever issues I've got. You seem to have the right approach, realising that sobriety isn't the end goal but just the start.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by Robbie64 View Post
Congratulations on Day 23

I'm the same, when I've got two or three weeks of sobriety under my belt I start to think negative thoughts. It's then that I realise I need to change the way I think as alcohol just masks whatever issues I've got. You seem to have the right approach, realising that sobriety isn't the end goal but just the start.
​​​​​​
Thanks Robbie
Old 09-02-2020, 07:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations! You seem to in a very good mindset with realistic expectations and that is so important IMO. Keep doing the work because it continues to get better
Old 09-02-2020, 08:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words

Originally Posted by sober45 View Post
congratulations! You seem to in a very good mindset with realistic expectations and that is so important imo. Keep doing the work because it continues to get better
😊😊😊
Old 09-02-2020, 08:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

23 days of sobriety is great, and it sounds like you're motivated to keep going.
Old 09-02-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well done rsanchez

D
Old 09-02-2020, 10:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 23 days sober.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This post really makes me happy rsanchez. I have been rooting for you since I first saw your posts a few months ago. You are putting in the work though with all of your sobriety tools etc and that is why you are seeing success. Don't stop putting in that work! Keep it up!