Notices

1st Jan 2020 - end August 2020

Old 08-29-2020, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st Jan 2020 - end August 2020

What a year 2020 has been and it's only two thirds completed!

I spent New Years Eve night at A&E having been drinking and feeling suicidal. Something that I repeated on and off up to 25th July. I don't know what it was about that last time but I haven't drunk since.

What did I miss this year through drinking? My child and their partner getting engaged in March. Numerous Zoom 'socials' with aforementioned child. My nephew making me a great Aunt at the beginning of July, missing out on a social housing property as too addled to complete the application form (I've been sleeping on the sofa for over 18 months due to black mould in the bedrooms, kitchen ceiling leaks etc. so being housed would have been marvellous) and heaven knows what else.

So, where am I one month since my last drink?
I've celebrated my younger nephew and my niece getting their first choice University places on the day they got their results rather than being told and not remembering.
Tuesday morning I got a call from a different housing associaltion about a property I had been nominated for a couple of weeks back though I was third on the list so was advised not to hold my breath. I was a little nervous about it as it is next to a pub. The other two haven't taken up the option so offered to me subject to checks. In the meantime the pub has closed for good. Last I heard from the housing association was an email asking permission to approach current landlord for a reference. I'm 'pretty' certain that they would only do that if all other checks have gone through ok.
My child and their partner will be here in just under an hour for the first time since lockdown hit back in March and I will be showered, dressed and waiting at the bus stop for them.
I've signed up for a couple of online courses.
I'm interacting with counsellors and other organisations.

I'm not really sure of the purpose of this ramble - I think as much as anything else seeing it in black and white helps bring home how good sobriety is.
By being sober I was able to get the application form completed coherently and correctly Tuesday afternoon.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like a tough first half to the year Startanew. But you stopped and now you’re a month sober. That is fantastic! Good things are beginning now so keep going!
Old 08-29-2020, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Erica375

You're doing wonderfully! Congratulations on your continuing sobriety.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're back on the right road StartANew

D
Old 08-30-2020, 10:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you both for the kind words and encouragement.

It’s only 6:15am and a public holiday in the UK so I shouldn’t start crashing about yet (terrible property conversion so would disturb neighbour - not that she cares when playing music loud until 2-3am!) but have sorted out a playlist to dance and sing to while getting all junk bagged up and ready to give to the refuse collectors on Saturday.

Also need to spring clean (bearing in mind September is the last month of summer &#129315 as has to make more complaints to current landlord so can see them wanting to come and look this week.

As it is so early it has got to be a mug of tea and omelette time!

Have a great day anyone who reads this far.