Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Soar like an Eagle this Weekend - Weekenders 28 - 31 August 2020

Notices

Soar like an Eagle this Weekend - Weekenders 28 - 31 August 2020

Old 08-30-2020, 09:05 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Good morning/evening, all.

Enjoyed a beautiful sunset last evening. The sky was full of dark clouds with a golden setting sun unevenly breaking through. Once the sun had set, it was obvious (from the lightning in the distance) that a little storm was approaching so it was a quick exit from the beach. Still well worth the trip, though.

Sunsets, like sobriety and recovery, never grow old.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:47 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hiya Weekenders

Kaily, have a good time by the seaside today. Alfie and your dad will love, I hope you do too. I’ve not seen that bridge before, then again, I don’t live down south.

Old 08-30-2020, 12:29 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Home safe sound and sober.

A very cold windy British seaside.

Toll paid Sao.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:31 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I'm glad you survived, Kaily.

What are those little buildings?
Old 08-30-2020, 12:47 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Thanks Bim.

They are beach huts. People buy them for lots of money (like £1000's), some have cookers. You're not allowed to sleep in them. Not a very good explanation but I don't really get it myself!
Old 08-30-2020, 12:59 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

To protect from that blazing British sun, I presume...

We have those at some resorts here on the East Coast. I think they're handy for changing clothes and escaping afternoon rain showers and for great grandma and the baby. I guess you could lock up your valuables and food, too.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:07 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Could of done with one today to get out of the wind.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
ours de petit cerveau

it's the Severn Bridge Mags.

did you go somewhere nice Kaily?

I'm rather enjoying it being Sunday night & no work in the morning.

hope everyone is doing well.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:16 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Is that your kitty Andy?
I have Monday off too

Kaily I remember seeing little beach huts when I went to the UK.

They build beach huts a bit differently here

Old 08-30-2020, 09:48 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I went to Whitstable, Andy. Never been before, it was ok. Tankerton up the road was nicer. Sat nav bought me home via North Circular instead of M25 - scary road!

Haha Willow, what a difference in beach huts. And sky and sea...

Happy Monday all, Bank holiday or not.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:49 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, it is a public holiday in England and Wales. I hope everyone made it through the weekend. I have never visited Whitstable, I'm glad you had a good time. It's famous for its oysters but they might be out of season now.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:23 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Magsie

Morning Weekenders

Kaily, glad you day went well. The roads can be a bit hairy! Love those beach huts. I remember when we were kids my mum and dad would rent one for the day at the beach. It was so handy. I think nowadays they’ve gone upmarket and so expensive. I love how they’re all painted different colours.

Willow, your beach hut would suit me fine. Does it have a kettle too.

We've a scarecrow festival in the village today. We made one, There’s some really nice scarecrows too. Also a cake stall and white elephant stall. I’ll be popping along this morning to buy some delights. We’re then out to lunch later, other side of Humber Bridge, taking advantage of the last day of the offer. I hope the restaurant has all the precautions for Covid or we’ll do an about turn.

See you later. Take care. xx
Old 08-31-2020, 01:24 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Oh Mags that sounds like so much fun! Scarecrows and stalls, like a fete! I haven’t been to a fete in forever. Can I please come too?

Sorry no kettle in the beach hut, but a little campfire for the billy to boil some water should do it
And some cake from your cake stall
Old 08-31-2020, 01:53 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Morning, it is a public holiday in England and Wales. I hope everyone made it through the weekend. I have never visited Whitstable, I'm glad you had a good time. It's famous for its oysters but they might be out of season now.
Supposed to be an "R" in the month for oyster-season in that part of the world, yes?
Old 08-31-2020, 02:02 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

There were lots of people eating oysters. Didn't fancy the slimy delicacies myself.

Hope to see some scarecrow pics Mags - have fun.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:16 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Monday!
I had a lovely weekend. The weather was pretty much perfect here, so I spent a lot of time outside. Soon enough, winter will be here, so I'm taking advantage of good weather while we still have it.

Today begins the crazy period of time at my job. Students are back on campus, and classes start Wednesday. The building is still very quiet, as most people seem to have chosen to work remotely. I have a lot of printing I need to do, and some other things that require me to be physically here. I was physically here most of last week, also. Things will be so different this semester. I'll just have to roll with it. Sobriety has taught me how to roll with things better than I used to. I still don't love uncertainty but I'm better.

My daughter and I were supposed to move her belongings into her dorm room at her University yesterday, and then she was going to be living at home until Sunday, and then she'd move the last few things and herself into the dorms and start classes next week. They have decided to delay move-in for at least two weeks, so things are up in the air for now. Her classes still start on the 8th, all online. I don't know how they will do a physics lab online... It will be interesting to see how they do that. We are both a bit disappointed about the delay, but it's about safety, so again, we will roll with it. The campus she is going to is MUCH larger than mine, so the logistics of trying to keep everyone safe are much more complicated.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Love the photos of the beach huts; I had never seen ones that look like true structures. Interesting.

“The blazing British sun” . Good one.

caramel, living by the Chesapeake Bay growing up, we strictly adhered to the ‘R’ rule.

Glad you had a nice time yesterday, Kaily; it was good of you to take your Dad on a trip.

Good luck, MLD, with campus prep. I hope that your daughter is able to experience a normal freshmen year. It has been ‘start and stop’ experience in many of the East Coast institutions. Stupid, dumb ole COVID.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:06 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

SoberLeigh, we are not even hoping for "normal" at this point. Just hoping she can move to campus sometime this semester. I am afraid to even say it out loud but sometimes I worry that she will drop out until things are more normal, like next year. This kid needs the structure of school and needs to get out of our town and meet new people. This summer of not being able to go anywhere or do anything really took a toll on her.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I am hoping that it works out for your daughter, MLD. Fingers crossed.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:49 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I've always heard to get oysters during the R months, or to fry them otherwise. Most of the oysters that are available in the local fish houses are farmed in the Gulf of Mexico now. I don't know if it matters as much anymore. The farmed ones are not as good to me, and they are too expensive now anyway ($70-$100 per bag).

MLD, my kid's school started back last week and he just stays in his room all the time now doing school on his computer. I don't think it's healthy. Someone said that at least he's not out getting into trouble and developing bad life long behavior problems like I was doing at this age. I still don't think it's healthy, but better than bringing a terrible illness home from school I suppose.