Notices

Picked an insane time to get sober

Old 08-25-2020, 09:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Picked an insane time to get sober

VENTING
My family is currently in week one of a three week quarantine due to positive covid cases in our family. We are incredibly fortunate the cases have been mild but we are on home quarantine. My last drink was Thursday August 20th, 2020. I have been on a 19 year spiral and it was time. I've tried before, but i'm done and in the early days of withdrawal and learning to feel again and cope.
Our children's school had no covid protocol ready for them to begin school or virtual learning in place. They already missed their last full quarter in the Spring as the school shut down for covid.
I'm trying to school them, run a house, while running my office remotely.....

Looking at the positives but venting. I'm putting tools suggested in place and USING THEM..... Insanity would be continuing to spiral and try to do anything positive during this time period but dang, when "God" laughs at you you just have to laugh with "him" and roll on in healthy ways.... uggg

Anyone else in this boat???
Old 08-25-2020, 09:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is never an insane time to get sober. Every day is a perfect day.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're staying sober through this tough time.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have a lot going on for sure but gotta say, you really do seem determined.

Just think of how strong you will be when you get to the other end of this crises SOBER. That's how we build up our sober muscles, by getting through the hard times without booze. There's a new life waiting for you on the other side of this addiction.

Vent as much as you need to!
Old 08-25-2020, 10:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
You have a lot going on for sure but gotta say, you really do seem determined.

Just think of how strong you will be when you get to the other end of this crises SOBER. That's how we build up our sober muscles, by getting through the hard times without booze. There's a new life waiting for you on the other side of this addiction.

Vent as much as you need to!
Thank you Sober45, trial by fire right
Old 08-25-2020, 12:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I quit a year and a half ago and have massive respect for anyone who’s quit during Covid times. If I was still a drinker, I’d certainly have drunk more since March and sadly that seems to be the case for many.

Huge well done! You’re made of strong stuff!
Old 08-25-2020, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had contracted Coronavirus in May. I had mild symptoms. I didn't know I had it until I had already recovered. I live alone so no risk to other people besides the elevator in the building I live. I did always wear a mask so hopefully didn't spread it. I self-quarantined for 2 weeks, had groceries delivered.

I have a lingering symptom, which is my sense of smell. Food tastes different, or lack of taste if you will. I don't have kids, but can only imagine how difficult it would be for you dealing with everything.

I hope your family gets through this pandemic alright!

Old 08-25-2020, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Why is it an insane time to get sober though? It more sounds like the best time (if there is such a thing), to be able to manage all those things with a clearer mind and more sound judgment.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
Why is it an insane time to get sober though? It more sounds like the best time (if there is such a thing), to be able to manage all those things with a clearer mind and more sane judgment.
You are right, i'm so restless and stressed. Exercise and listening to YouTube seems to be all that helps, still in my first week.

WL awesome to hear you are better! It seems to be hitting everyone so differently even in the same home.
Old 08-25-2020, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is never easy to stop drinking, but I think the current world situation is much much better handled sober.
Hope you and your family will be back to full health soon!

D
Old 08-25-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

My 17 year old son came home last night from the gym and told Mom, "I have the virus."

My wife let me sleep, thanks, and when I got up at 5 am, she broke the news.

I am Mr. Cool on the outside, Mr. WTF on the inside. As I begin to mentally digest the way forward, I decide to call work and let them know the situation.

Long story short, Jr. wakes up and tells us, "False alarm, I feel amazing."

Glad I was sober through it.

I drank for about 40 years, off and on. I am heavily kindled. I relapse would likely turn me into a blubbering mad man.

Don't need that.

Booze is an insidious poisoning neurotoxin. I don't believe the hype. Born again non drinker.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by D122y View Post
My 17 year old son came home last night from the gym and told Mom, "I have the virus."

My wife let me sleep, thanks, and when I got up at 5 am, she broke the news.

I am Mr. Cool on the outside, Mr. WTF on the inside. As I begin to mentally digest the way forward, I decide to call work and let them know the situation.

Long story short, Jr. wakes up and tells us, "False alarm, I feel amazing."

Glad I was sober through it.

I drank for about 40 years, off and on. I am heavily kindled. I relapse would likely turn me into a blubbering mad man.

Don't need that.

Booze is an insidious poisoning neurotoxin. I don't believe the hype. Born again non drinker.

Thanks.
Dizzy, that's incredible news!
Old 08-25-2020, 05:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm trying to school them, run a house, while running my office remotely.....
I’m so sorry what you are facing. But honestly, when I read your post, you know what I thought?

::Wow...the only thing that would make that worse is if via was still drinking.::

My drinking was at night, when things were winding down since the last thing I wanted was pesky responsibilities getting in the way of my “good time”. I was snappy and bitchy if interrupted while in the zone. Then half of the next day was taken up feeling like crap, then planning on my trip to the store to refresh my supply. Misery.

If your drinking was anything like mine, it may be a blessing that you got a foot into sobriety before facing this challenge. My best wishes to you and your family.
xbora
Old 08-25-2020, 06:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm not in the same boat, but the COVID thing knocked me off the wagon and is making it harder to stay on. For me it's just nihilism, like, why would I want to see this world clearly? Who cares if drinking knocks me out of this world a few years early? That's the line of thought that is dangerous for me, and it rears its head frequently.

One thing I do know is that I feel not-quite-as-rotten even with just a few days of sobriety, but that AV has been a lot louder and more convincing in recent months for sure. One day at a time, as they say...
Old 08-25-2020, 08:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

WOW you hit things on the head.... trial by fire coming pulling out of 19 years of alcohol induced insanity hell.... thank you for presenting a better way to look at this. Gratitude first.... a hard day and physical withdrawals are no joke. Grateful to be some better this evening. Thank you for the positive perspective!