Notices

Newbie to quitting! Hi!

Old 08-24-2020, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie to quitting! Hi!

Hey all,

new here (like today new for browsing and posting), I'm looking forward to being a member of the community I'm just over 24 hours since my last drink (so not a lot to celebrate just yet but still) so may lean on this forum from time to time for a boost to help when i feel like i need a drink.

This is attempt 2 for me to get sober I had unhealthy consumption levels prior to the Covid pandemic and stay at home orders which honestly just made my drinking worse while working from home and with gyms closed just meant i got to drink for a few more hours a day... So yeah .. time for a change! I made it to 2 weeks sober around a month ago so I want to get back on that horse I can't deny that for that couple weeks; I got way better sleep, was getting more done through the day. Its crazy what you can do when you dont accept hung over as your default state.

I really like what you're doing here from the few threads I have read so far. Everyone seems super helpful and positive. can't wait to hear from you all.
Old 08-24-2020, 04:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Netzerk

D
Old 08-24-2020, 04:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Netzerk, Welcome, and don't underestimate how important the first 24 hours of sobriety are. Good for you!
Old 08-24-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!! And congrats on the 24hrs😊
Old 08-24-2020, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Netzerk. Welcome to a supportive & encouraging place. You do have a lot to celebrate! You made the decision to kick it out of your life. We're here to help.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Netzerk View Post
Hey all,

new here (like today new for browsing and posting), I'm looking forward to being a member of the community I'm just over 24 hours since my last drink (so not a lot to celebrate just yet but still) so may lean on this forum from time to time for a boost to help when i feel like i need a drink.

This is attempt 2 for me to get sober I had unhealthy consumption levels prior to the Covid pandemic and stay at home orders which honestly just made my drinking worse while working from home and with gyms closed just meant i got to drink for a few more hours a day... So yeah .. time for a change! I made it to 2 weeks sober around a month ago so I want to get back on that horse I can't deny that for that couple weeks; I got way better sleep, was getting more done through the day. Its crazy what you can do when you dont accept hung over as your default state.

I really like what you're doing here from the few threads I have read so far. Everyone seems super helpful and positive. can't wait to hear from you all.
Good luck, I'm on day 2 also.
My story is very similar to yours, as in I gave it away for a couple of weeks a month or so ago and felt great.
Then thought I could drink in moderation....NO I couldn't.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family Netzerk! You can expect that early recovery might be a bumpy ride, but it does get better the longer you're sober. So hang in there and stay sober, no matter what! We are here to support and encourage you.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and awesome on your 24 hours!
Old 08-25-2020, 05:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Netzerk! Welcome! I agree with Anna, celebrate those first 24 hours...without them your journey can't even start. Keep checking in, we're here for you.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome, Netzerk, and congratulations on taking the first step. If I were you, I would think about leaning on this forum a little more often than "from time to time." Sobriety is a daily battle, especially in the early stage. You need every weapon in your arsenal to fight the urge to drink and get your mind right. This forum is a pretty good one for me.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey folks thanks for the kind words! I'll certainly keep this tab open in my browser as a reminder and try to check in once a day or so! So today is another 24H :P. So over 2 days sober. got a lot done this evening. trying to just keep myself distracted so i dont think about drinking for now. Not sure if thats the worlds best approach but hey I'm 2 days in again and want this so I'm sure just about any approach works if you want it bad enough when it comes to kicking a drinking issue. I really appreciate the amount of replies for a total new comer especially on an internet forum... pretty foreign concept.. haha

EDIT:
I will say reading some of the experience stories of folks and having a miserable first few days hasn't been the case this time for me, thank god. I will say the only "symptom" I have per say is just slight irritability and a big lack of appetite. I'm pretty into fitness and track my food. When i was drinking (i know its ironic to be into fitness and a drinker but here i am a walking contradiction haha) i never had an issue with food intake in fact my perceived hunger often called on me to use my will power towards food vs. alcohol. so yeah .. no appetite is quite odd. any idea how long i can expect that to last for?
Old 08-25-2020, 07:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey there Netzerk--welcome, and fabulous on one day--I agree, don't underestimate that first day; it's the start of a great new beginning. I hope you stick around and post as soon as you get an urge to drink--someone here will help you get through it. Best wishes on your sober journey.
Old 08-25-2020, 07:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, JCat. Excellent job on day 2. I could never moderate my drinking either, and I had to figure that out the hard way. I'm glad you are here--this is a wonderful, supportive place.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome netzerk! As you get more acquainted check out the class of August support thread. That will have all the quitters during this month and will help you to be around other people with similar quit dates as you. This is great that you are not getting bad withdrawals. You can beat this before the brain damage gets to the point many of us got too. Also, at the bottom of all the forums is an exercise thread you might enjoy.
Old 08-26-2020, 09:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey Netzerk, Glad to have you with us Seems like you have a really positive attitude and are ready for a change. Keep reading and posting. It takes some time, but if you do the work, sobriety is so much better. For a long time I felt I was doomed to be a drinker forever but here I am heading into my 8th month and wouldn't trade my sobriety for anything. You can do it too!