Notices

Grateful for yesterday

Old 08-22-2020, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful for yesterday

Yesterday I posted for the first time. I didn't respond to anyone's comments because they hit home and made me literally stop and think. I am still processing and am so very grateful for each response. I now understand I have never been honest with myself about my AV. I never wanted to believe it was there and so I listened to it each time. I would abstain, feel better, feel in control, believe I didn't need any help other than my own willpower. I would believe that I was committed and I was strong enough to do it by myself. Abstinence would surely be enough. Life would be good for awhile until...... But as I read somewhere "abstinence is the ticket to get into the theater, not the movie we are going to see"

I learned that Recovery is about growth and change. I picked up some "tools" along the way but never used the to make a plan and am still not sure how. Today all I know is I have a desire to be committed, I want a plan and I want change because I can finally admit that I am powerless over alcohol.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good and necessary start.

A Plan is nothing more than how to fill the hours productively and honestly without picking up a drinking.

Planning how to answer the questions. How to deal with social events. How to deal with emotions other than drinking at them.

You've got the most important part. Don't pick up that first drink and all the rest will be sorted in time.

For me it involved grocery shopping for good healthy food. Preparing, eating, cleaning up. Taking a long walk outdoors every day. Writing three things on my Gratitude list. Coming to this site and reading and posting. I started each day here, it set my intentions and helped me stay focused. Then I started working on my other issues as time went on.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I think starting each day here is where I will start.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you recognize that stopping drinking is the beginning, but there is more to do to continue to recover.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I feel like I could have written puzzle's post. It takes a lot more than will power. This is about transforming oneself.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
I want a plan and I want change because I can finally admit that I am powerless over alcohol.
Hi and excuse me but I have a fabulous idea. Go grab a piece of paper and a pen. Next, at the top, write RECOVERY PLAN.
And then - underneath - in big B L O C K letters write STOP SWALLOWING ALCOHOL.

Anything you do after that as far as a plan is concerned will be a piece of cake compared to the POWER you exert over alcohol by not drinking it.