Notices

Back with my SR FAMILY

Old 08-16-2020, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back with my SR FAMILY

Hello my dear family,

I know it has been a little while since I logged on, but I am so grateful that no matter, SR is always here for me.

Life has gotten busy, I celebrated ONE YEAR in July and it was the hardest month so far in my sobriety. In that month, I lost an ex to an overdose, my mother had to have a biopsy for a mass, work started furloughing people and I tried my hand at a relationship and failed miserably.

After my year milestone, I sank into a deep depression and have not yet fully recovered. I am sad a lot and cry, feel a bit better and then fall again. I am struggling.

Through all of this, I realized that I needed to get back to basics and I have continued my meetings, meeting my sponsor and doing step work and relying and communicating with other women in my program. The love and support I am receiving is overwhelming.

I have not drank over any it, and I don't want to. I realized tonight after doing step work that I had the SR tab open, I have aways had it open on my computer. I logged on and instantly felt home. You guys have been my home since I first got sober, I logged on every night. I miss you all.

I know that life will continue to get better for me, for all of us. There will be ups and downs and God is only giving me what I can handle. I am handling it, and sitting in these new feelings and experiencing them in sobriety is a true blessing, even if it hurts like hell. Because I AM FEELING. I am no longer soaking in alcohol and walking through life numb and asleep. There is a price to be awakened and it is to experience the pain as well as the joy. I accept these terms with all of my heart.

Anyways, I am so glad I logged on, I feel better knowing I am with my community of like minded, fellow drunks who just want me to succeed at this thing.

We are all doing it and I am so proud of us.

Love you all and I will see you tomorrow!

Nic.
Old 08-16-2020, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're posting again NicLin

D
Old 08-16-2020, 10:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on the first of many sober years!
Old 08-16-2020, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just phenomenal. You’ve been missed.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time. Dig in, back to basics and life will all even out 🙏
Old 08-17-2020, 06:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry for your troubles, but a fantastic post. Congratulations.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you Nic. And, it's good that you accept that there will be ups and downs, and that you will get through it.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good to see you Nic. Congratulations on a year and handling that rough month sober!
Old 08-17-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Happy to have you with us again, NicLin.
Yes, it took some getting used to - feelings & emotions without our buffer. How damaging though - we need to deal with things, not hide from them.
Proud of you for achieving a whole year sober last month. Wonderful!
Old 08-17-2020, 03:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back NicLin and a belated happy one year of sobriety. It looks like you've got a lot on your hands at the moment and you know that drinking would just add to things. Well done for getting through what seems to have been a very trying July.
Old 08-17-2020, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ZIP

Nice to hear from you again, Nic'.
Well done on the 1 year AF.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I lost my job at the end of my first year of sobriety.

I hate to imagine to what would have happened if i will still using. I was sweating how much longer I could survive on unemployment, severance, and draining my 401k. I turn into my drunk twin when I pick up and I know exactly what he woulda been thinking... all that money a night of crack cocaine wouldn't make much difference. Probably wake up hungover, swear never to touch crack again, few drinks, turn back into evil twin... well its still a pretty big pile of money. Yeah, I have an idea how that movie woulda played out.

The day I got canned was the strongest urge to drink in a long time. The restless, irritable, discontent that I thought was long gone came roaring back. I went through what I thought i should do in the situation. Call my sponsor, no he's probably still working. Get to a meeting, doesn't start for a while. I tried just surfing the internet but I just couldn't sit still i was rattled. So I just quietly prayed, I didn't even say anything i just sort of turned to God for comfort. I thought why do feel this way. Financial insecurity not knowing how I will pay bills. Emotional insecurity, after all these years they can do without me. I'm not good enough.

Even though unemployed i was sober. Got up early and showered every morning. Put myself on a schedule of finding a job related activities, resume, phone calls and what not. Even scheduled time to go to the beach on a quiet weekday. My life completely up in the air and there i am sober, sitting on a beach taking in the serenity.

It was a long struggle, it wasn't all a sunny day at the beach. I was unemployed for a while with many ups and down but finally landed a much better job. Wondering how id pay for the thngsi have now if I didn't get fired.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NicLin View Post
Hello my dear family,

I know it has been a little while since I logged on, but I am so grateful that no matter, SR is always here for me.

Life has gotten busy, I celebrated ONE YEAR in July and it was the hardest month so far in my sobriety. In that month, I lost an ex to an overdose, my mother had to have a biopsy for a mass, work started furloughing people and I tried my hand at a relationship and failed miserably.

After my year milestone, I sank into a deep depression and have not yet fully recovered. I am sad a lot and cry, feel a bit better and then fall again. I am struggling.

Through all of this, I realized that I needed to get back to basics and I have continued my meetings, meeting my sponsor and doing step work and relying and communicating with other women in my program. The love and support I am receiving is overwhelming.

I have not drank over any it, and I don't want to. I realized tonight after doing step work that I had the SR tab open, I have aways had it open on my computer. I logged on and instantly felt home. You guys have been my home since I first got sober, I logged on every night. I miss you all.

I know that life will continue to get better for me, for all of us. There will be ups and downs and God is only giving me what I can handle. I am handling it, and sitting in these new feelings and experiencing them in sobriety is a true blessing, even if it hurts like hell. Because I AM FEELING. I am no longer soaking in alcohol and walking through life numb and asleep. There is a price to be awakened and it is to experience the pain as well as the joy. I accept these terms with all of my heart.

Anyways, I am so glad I logged on, I feel better knowing I am with my community of like minded, fellow drunks who just want me to succeed at this thing.

We are all doing it and I am so proud of us.

Love you all and I will see you tomorrow!

Nic.
I am glad you logged on too! I am four and a half months away from five years of sobriety and I still post and read on SR daily. I love that I can share about my day, and check in with my SR family to see how they’re doing. I’m inspired by the success of members, and reminded of what life was like when I read about those starting out or who’ve relapsed.

The 24 Hour Recovery thread is a great place to check in each day!

Hang in there my friend!💗
Old 08-17-2020, 10:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, good to be logging back in and seeing my family!!!