Notices

Still Hanging In There

Old 08-14-2020, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Still Hanging In There

Howdy all. Been away for a couple of weeks. Extremely busy at work, and keeping my evenings and weekends as packed as I can with productive activity. Still sober at 25 days. No real cravings. Thoughts and memories of booze, yes. Just not wanting it that bad.

However, that being said, I've not been tested. I do well when I have routine. When it's get up, work out, work, home, supper, work around the house, read, bed, repeat, all is well. Even on the weekends I plan them with stuff I enjoy doing or work that needs done, and treat myself to some favorite meals (even though I'm also trying to lose some pounds, but one thing at a time). It's when something happens that's out of the usual I trigger. We relocated about a year ago, and my wife's family and my family all live out of state, as well as our old friends. So no real social life, which neither of us mind, as we are both homebodies who enjoy our quiet, remote, rural home. When people come in to visit, or we travel to visit them, that's when it gets hairy for me (not so much with my Mom who recently visited, but I have no "party" history with her, unlike my brothers in law). Nothing planned for the next few months, so my sobriety plan is to not even attempt one of these triggers until I'm at least past day 90.

Anyway, checking in and all is well. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In the beginning I avoided tests. And I still do. I don't need them! Keep on keepin on!
Old 08-14-2020, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like you’re doing great. If you think going out of your comfort zone could trigger you then don’t. Continue with what you’re doing and Stack up those days...you’ll know when the time is right to branch out a little. I’m at 7 months Sober now and I still find that getting through the necessary stuff is enough to handle. But most certainly things are becoming much easier. I’ve been around drinking several times and coming out each time sober has made me stronger.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never sought out tests either. Fact is you'll be tested eventually - we all are.
Sounds like you're doing well tho Bart

D
Old 08-14-2020, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Samantha

Sounds like you dont have a lot of time to drink anyways, you're staying busy!
Old 08-14-2020, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thats really good there are no plans until after you have some more time to develop structure and comfortability with being sober...
I remember when I was working and quit alcohol....i refused to take any time off because I knew that "idle" time for me was the devils workshop. I honestly did not trust myself to take a day off (cause I always drink alone)...for a year I did not take a day off and even then I was afraid but it ended up being a very enjoyable day which made me feel comfortable about taking more vacation time.

And so you are aware of your triggers, you know you have more time....so try not to think about that stuff right now (the future)

Hopefully by the time the time comes around to be traveling and being around others...you will feel "proud" within yourself which will make you more comfortable to be around others...

Or maybe during this time you will find you need something from a Dr to take that overall "edge" off about being around people....things change constantly....but its such a good sign that you are wondering about how you are going to "protect" your sobriety...just don't dwell on it....Focus on the moments of being sober right now....
Old 08-16-2020, 11:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Use this time of no tests to prepare for the inevitable tests that come up. Maybe write down or at least think about what the tests good be and what your reaction to them will be. Good job!
Old 09-03-2020, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So 45 days. Still chugging along. Still untested by any major social obligations. Very routine. Lost 10 pounds. Working out hard. Got a great mid-year review at work. BP down to 116 over 77 (from 160 over 110 when I was in withdrawals).
For the first time in a long time the AV piped up today saying, "You know, it is Labor Day weekend. You've been really good. Maybe just a 6 pack on the porch?" I immediately told it to STFU. Somebody wrote on here a while back that the AV is like the Terminator. It can't be reasoned with. It can't be bargained with. It absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead.
It helps me to think of it in those terms. Even though it's been a while since I've heard any real input from the AV, it's still lurking there. Waiting to kick in the door if I open it an inch.
Anyway, all is well. Just thought I needed to get pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) regarding hearing from my old enemy the AV. Thanks.
Old 09-03-2020, 03:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 45 days and on kicking that AV square in the mouth!
Old 09-03-2020, 04:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

45 days of sobriety is great. I'm glad you're doing well.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats Bart