Notices

I'm so tired...

Old 08-12-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Samantha

I'm so tired...

I'm about a month sober and I feel like no amount of sleep will help me. Is this normal? I have not been able to nap, just sleep at night.
I'm exercising a lot, as is recommended in recovery, working, playing some games, watching a bit of hockey now that it is back. I eat healthy for the most part and if I give in to cookies or a burger I exercise more than enough to worry about it.
Maybe I'm just tired of 2020?
Anyone else feel like this? I want to stay on the sober train and not give in because I feel crappy, which is usually what happens.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Hi.

I can think of only one thing that doesn't change - death. Everything else is game.

If you're tired - take a nap.
If you're hungry - eat.
If you're lonely - reach out.
If you're lazy - take a walk.
If you're stinky - take a shower.
Yada yada yada.

2020 is nearly over. And this time next year - 2021 will be nearly over. And so on...

Be happy.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Samantha, I'm also dealing with extreme fatigue at around one month. I'm not sure what is going on either. It has started in the past two weeks or so. I get sleep, exercise, eat pretty well. I'm confident it's not medical. I'm just hopeful it goes away eventually. It really is a damper to what should be an exciting time with new sobriety. Hang in there.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had a few days of feeling exhausted last week as I approached the 3 week mark. Unfortunately recovery isn't a straight line where each day leaves you feeling a bit better than the day before. You can feel better today and more tired tomorrow then better again the day after that. It can be disheartening when things don't always seem to improve day on day and exhaustion and tiredness are two common problems that can linger. The best way to approach it is to look at the bigger picture that things will get better the longer you stay sober. The damage we have done to our bodies from excessive drinking doesn't get undone in just a few weeks. You're doing the right things by eating healthily, exercising and of course, by not drinking. Your body will already be reaping the benefits. It's just taking its time to realise it!
Old 08-12-2020, 03:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah i'm certain it's normal for us in early sobriety. It manifests in me by not being able to sleep at night though.Three weeks sober here and just got up wide awake at 11:45pm as can't sleep as usual. It's a weird feeling. It will pass though. It's still better than drinking. Hang in there
Old 08-12-2020, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Robbie's right, recovery isn't a straight line and there are probably going to be times when you feel tired and blah, even though you're taking care of yourself. Be sure that you will feel better before too long and be sure that you can learn to live with the ups and downs. You're doing great.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Samantha - yeah after my last drink, I was very fatigued for a month or two.
You will feel better, I promise

D
Old 08-12-2020, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hope it gets better

Sounds pretty normal but also it wouldn't hurt to maybe get your levels checked..i found out I'm not absorbing iron among other things and was feeling like hell til I found the right supplements
Old 08-12-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

Thanks all. I think maybe I'm over exercising...going to take a couple rest days.
Old 08-12-2020, 06:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anxiousrock View Post
Thanks all. I think maybe I'm over exercising...going to take a couple rest days.
Maybe take some active rest, I like to listen to YouTube motivational stories while taking a walk enjoying the sun. I had no energy the first few weeks off opiates. When I stopped drinking I felt a crash of no energy, I know alcohol used to give me alot of energy. Maybe it's a sugar levels your body is adjusting too. Good job keep your chin up you got this
Old 08-12-2020, 06:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Your body is healing, let it, and give time time.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know it’s normal. I am 12 days sober and I have been working out and getting up early and twice I have power napped in my car on lunch. Listen to your body. It knows what you need!!
Old 08-12-2020, 07:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I also am tired at 26 days...I laid down today from 12-2pm and fell asleep! That is unusual for ME...I have usually too much energy when sober....So our bodies need it ...or we wouldn't be having to do it....this too shall pass!
Old 08-13-2020, 05:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

We are in tough times right now. I think there are many people that might be experiencing mild depression or even more. Its temporary, this will pass. The exercise and gym route is what keeps me centered most of the time. Gyms closed, I fell. Grind it out, I'm right there with ya.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Samantha

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
We are in tough times right now. I think there are many people that might be experiencing mild depression or even more. Its temporary, this will pass. The exercise and gym route is what keeps me centered most of the time. Gyms closed, I fell. Grind it out, I'm right there with ya.
yeah i am definitely more depressed than normal. Too many horrible things happening, no travel no culture to experience, just sit at home lol. I'm so desperate to interact with people i would consider going to the pub for a bite, even though that's something I haven't done in years.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I think it's all those things too.....

Plus early sobriety uses up a load of nervous energy I think. I am usually having wild dreams and unsettled night, then anxious days, so I reckon being really tired is just part of it.

Good on you for having such a good exercise routine
Old 08-13-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I remember the crushing fatigue of my drinking days. Years and years without a good night’s rest.

Once I got sober, I found I could sleep 10 to 12 hours if life permitted. I would go to bed at 7pm and fall asleep within 30 minutes. I had started running, so I’d get up at 5 to run before the day started. Some days I still felt tired, but my energy during the day improved with time.

It was only after the 2 year mark that I started sleeping a more “normal” 7-8 hours per night. Now, even with only 5 hours I’m usually ok. I figure it just took that long for my body to “catch up” from the deficit I’d created over years.

Keep going! I keep telling myself that not every day is a picnic. But continuing to do the right thing every day has its own rewards.
-bora
Old 08-13-2020, 11:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Samantha, another thought is how hard are you exercising or eating well? For me I am tired sometimes and I don't think it is withdrawal. Sometimes I need a break from my exercise routine and I am better after a day or 2 of rest. Another thing is I cleaned up my diet and dropped most sugar. That can cause being tired but also maybe too few calories? Just some thoughts.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Samantha

Guys let's keep in mind this isn't early sobriety. I only drink ones a month.