Notices

My name is Liz, and I'm an alcoholic

Old 08-07-2020, 02:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

My name is Liz, and I'm an alcoholic

I have avoided that sentence for years, telling myself that I only have a drinking problem. What that did for me was allowing me to drink, because that's what people with a drinking problem do. No more. I don't want to do this anymore. I want to be the best person I can be, and drinking dulls my true colors. I want to see what I can achieve sober, when I can be creative and reach my full potential. I am a writer, and I've heard so many stories of great writers that wrote their best works drunk or high on drugs. Well, not me.

I am an alcoholic, and that's why I can't drink. I want to be sober.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Admitting that one has a problem is all that is necessary IMO. That's what I heard from a very experienced person who manages a rehab center. But yeah me too I am an alcoholic.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Liz
Old 08-07-2020, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Liz, well done on admitting it. I too feel like it is an important delineation to make between "problem drinking" and "alcoholic". I believe it gives us total control over our AV when we are 100% truthful to ourselves. Announcing that we are alcoholics is vital in my opinion. It also takes courage, so well done
Old 08-07-2020, 03:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
Admitting that one has a problem is all that is necessary IMO. That's what I heard from a very experienced person who manages a rehab center. But yeah me too I am an alcoholic.
Thanks, AAPJ.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Sammy1980 View Post
Welcome Liz
Thank you, Sammy.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by owen90 View Post
Hi Liz, well done on admitting it. I too feel like it is an important delineation to make between "problem drinking" and "alcoholic". I believe it gives us total control over our AV when we are 100% truthful to ourselves. Announcing that we are alcoholics is vital in my opinion. It also takes courage, so well done
It's the scariest thing I've ever done, but it feels good. I hope this will make it stick.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me it wasn't enough to simply acknowledge I was an alcoholic - I had to act on that knowledge as well.
Like I said in your last thread Lixie I hope you can take this acceptance, act on it, and one day look on this as a new beginning

D

Old 08-07-2020, 03:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
For me it wasn't enough to simply acknowledge I was an alcoholic - I had to act on that knowledge as well.
Like I said in your last thread Lixie I hope you can take this acceptance, act on it, and one day look on this as a new beginning

D
I hope I'm able to do this now, Dee.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

me too Lixie

D
Old 08-07-2020, 04:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job admitting it, Liz.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you say you "hope you can do it this time", you're leaving room for the AV to come in. "I AM doing this NOW" worked better for me. We also need a clear plan for what we will do with the drinking time. If not, the AV takes advantage and you have no defense.

The truth is, alcohol IS dulling your colors probably more than you realize. Be active in sobriety every single day and you will get there. I have 7 months sober now after many years of trying. I wouldn't trade where I am for anything. You can do it, too!
Old 08-07-2020, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You seem like a very nice person lixie. I hope you can work this through. I'm pulling for you!
Old 08-07-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Sober45 View Post
If you say you "hope you can do it this time", you're leaving room for the AV to come in. "I AM doing this NOW" worked better for me. We also need a clear plan for what we will do with the drinking time. If not, the AV takes advantage and you have no defense.

The truth is, alcohol IS dulling your colors probably more than you realize. Be active in sobriety every single day and you will get there. I have 7 months sober now after many years of trying. I wouldn't trade where I am for anything. You can do it, too!
I agree wholeheartedly! I'm not saying that I'm trying to stop drinking, I HAVE stopped. Thanks for pointing it out to me. This is a great day.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Cityboy View Post
You seem like a very nice person lixie. I hope you can work this through. I'm pulling for you!
Thank you for saying that, Cityboy.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You can do this! Keep posting...we are here for you!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Bethany57 View Post
You can do this! Keep posting...we are here for you!
Thanks, Bethany! It's good to be here!
Old 08-07-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Glad you stopped drinking Lixie.

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve sober too.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:50 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Mary88 View Post
Glad you stopped drinking Lixie.

Looking forward to seeing what you can achieve sober too.
Thanks, Mary. I so exited to get back to my writing!
Old 08-07-2020, 06:34 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
I have avoided that sentence for years, telling myself that I only have a drinking problem. What that did for me was allowing me to drink, because that's what people with a drinking problem do. No more. I don't want to do this anymore. I want to be the best person I can be, and drinking dulls my true colors. I want to see what I can achieve sober, when I can be creative and reach my full potential. I am a writer, and I've heard so many stories of great writers that wrote their best works drunk or high on drugs. Well, not me.

I am an alcoholic, and that's why I can't drink. I want to be sober.
Heres to the day 2 crew! Lol Im really glad we are here and taking these steps! Its truly difficult accepting and admitting (especially to yourself) how bad things have really got and how you are feeling but its crucial for us to be able to make the changes we want. I hope that in time your true colours will shine through and that you will create your most amazing work yet! Stick with SR daily though - I've commited to posting every day because I know everyone here is more than willing to help and support through the more difficult times. Look forward to seeing your posts 🤞