Notices

My name is Liz, and I'm an alcoholic

Old 10-31-2020, 11:00 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hey Liz...... Saturday mornings are the best if you wake up sober. I love sleeping in, coffee and just sitting for a while.

You are doing so well and it sounds like you are enjoying what you are doing with your time. So important! xxx
Old 11-01-2020, 06:10 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Alcohol took my colors away too.
They've been coming back for awhile now
Old 12-06-2020, 12:20 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Time to dig up this thread again, for accountability.

Gerald Twine asked me in a different thread what I was doing differently this time, and this is it:

What I did was coming clean with my partner. She is a normie, she likes to have a glass of prosecco on Friday afternoon, a glass of wine whilst cooking and a glass with dinner. And she's OK with that. I've tried so many times to do what she's doing, but I can't. It's not enough for me, I want more, much more. And that's destroying me. I don't want to do that anymore. So, I have been completely honest with her, I have told her how I feel and what it does to me, and the brutal truth is that I can't drink at all.
She has been wonderful in this process, she supports me and has sworn off alcohol too, and we have created check-in points during the day, where she asks me how I'm doing and I answer honestly. I know that I can tell her anything, and she will not judge me. She loves me and wants me to be happy. In addition to this we have made a plan of things to do as a couple or alone, things that make life meaningful for us. We have gotten a dog, and I'm responsible for walking her before bedtime - so no drinking for me.

My ex-husband resented me for drinking, and he was never supportive, just angry. So I drank, sometimes just to spite him. But now I'm in a loving relationship with mutual respect, and I have finally found my soul. I no longer wish I was dead, I love life and want to make the best of it.

That's what I'm doing differently this time.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:15 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lixie, this is a beautiful post. You are so lucky to have a loving and understanding partner who supports you. And, I can relate to drinking to spite someone. I did that sometimes too and it's so absurd. After all, we're only hurting ourselves, right. I'm glad you're doing what you need to do to make recovery work for you.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:29 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

It really is a beautiful post, Lixie! Being honest with your partner is one of the most important things you can do on the road to sobriety, IMHO. My partner always had alcohol in the house after my stint in rehab and it was so easy to sneak a shot (or 10). We are separated now and I realized this could be a major catalyst to start drinking again but am being honest with MYSELF now.
I can’t blame him for my relapses but it is SO much easier not having it in the house.