Notices

My name is Liz, and I'm an alcoholic

Old 08-07-2020, 07:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lixie View Post
I have avoided that sentence for years, telling myself that I only have a drinking problem. What that did for me was allowing me to drink, because that's what people with a drinking problem do. No more.
I think that's been a common pattern for a lot of us.

I don't want to do this anymore. I want to be the best person I can be, and drinking dulls my true colors. I want to see what I can achieve sober, when I can be creative and reach my full potential.
I've those thoughts too, but after years of sobriety, I realize I probably never will reach my full potential. You can only do better, and I have accomplished that to an extent. I'm content with that. Very content. But if I'm going to rank my gratitude levels, being free of an addiction ranks higher than being a better person. Being a better person is like the sprinkles on the cookie. Sprinkles make it better, but the real treat is the cookie. Not everyone may agree with this, but that's how it is for me.

I am a writer, and I've heard so many stories of great writers that wrote their best works drunk or high on drugs. Well, not me.
I don't put a lot of stock in that. Some people are good writers, some of them are alcoholics, but did they actually do better drunk? I would take that with a grain of salt. It's common for alcoholics to say things like, "I'm a better driver when I'm drunk," but not many people are actually impressed.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:20 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah, to what DriGuy said.

When I was reading this thread I thought about how "gifted" I thought I was when I drank. If I was writing something, I was the best writer ever with insights only I could have. I was in communion with the gods - until I read it the next day.

If I'm always drinking, it is who I am in every way. I think it's more that they were already writers and they were drinking. Who wants to throw their life away chasing The Great Gatsby or A Farewell To Arms? Of the millions of wannabe authors, not many ever make a living at it.

Hemingway wrote that he loved the drink, but that he needed to be "cold" (sober) to write. In his letters he wrote that alcohol was an escape from other parts of life...not a muse.

It was Fitzgerald who coined the saying, "First a man takes a drink. Then the drink takes a drink. Then the drink takes the man."
Old 08-07-2020, 07:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Good for you Liz, it's an important step. Now you just need a plan to say sober and you'll get a ton of help with that here
Old 08-07-2020, 07:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Liz,

I think alcoholism robs us of everything that's important to us, as with your writing. I really hope that you can get back to writing. I do think it's important to have a recovery plan in place where you specifically think of how you will stop drinking and how you will remain sober.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
being free of an addiction ranks higher than being a better person
That's a great quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have avoided that sentence for years, telling myself that I only have a drinking problem. What that did for me was allowing me to drink, because that's what people with a drinking problem do. No more. I don't want to do this anymore. I want to be the best person I can be, and drinking dulls my true colors. I want to see what I can achieve sober, when I can be creative and reach my full potential. I am a writer, and I've heard so many stories of great writers that wrote their best works drunk or high on drugs. Well, not me.

I am an alcoholic, and that's why I can't drink. I want to be sober.

Welcome
Old 08-07-2020, 01:30 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Thank you all for your support, I will reply to each and everyone of you tomorrow. Day two is in the box, and I am looking forward to day three tomorrow.

Good night!
Old 08-07-2020, 02:17 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Liz - Congrats on your day two. We know how hard it is to get started - but you're doing it.
You sound ready to reclaim your life and stay free. We know you can.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:50 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on making a wise decision to stop drinking. Use the support here to help you get sober for good.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by DriGuy View Post
I've those thoughts too, but after years of sobriety, I realize I probably never will reach my full potential. You can only do better, and I have accomplished that to an extent. I'm content with that. Very content. But if I'm going to rank my gratitude levels, being free of an addiction ranks higher than being a better person. Being a better person is like the sprinkles on the cookie. Sprinkles make it better, but the real treat is the cookie. Not everyone may agree with this, but that's how it is for me.
I like the analogy. I will try to be a better cookie today than I was yesterday. Babysteps.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:28 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Hemingway wrote that he loved the drink, but that he needed to be "cold" (sober) to write. In his letters he wrote that alcohol was an escape from other parts of life...not a muse.
I can relate to this. I was completely unable to write if I was drinking. To be honest, I don't dream of being a full time writer. I have one goal, and that is to complete the manuscript I'm working on now. It's a psychological thriller set on the coast of Northern Norway, with some supernatural undertones.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Gabe1980 View Post
Good for you Liz, it's an important step. Now you just need a plan to say sober and you'll get a ton of help with that here
I have outlined a plan and will post it here today. Would love some input!
Old 08-08-2020, 01:32 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi Liz,

I think alcoholism robs us of everything that's important to us, as with your writing. I really hope that you can get back to writing. I do think it's important to have a recovery plan in place where you specifically think of how you will stop drinking and how you will remain sober.
Writing will be an important part of my recovery plan, and I have to admit, I can't wait to get back at it!
Old 08-08-2020, 01:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

Originally Posted by DreamCatcher17 View Post
Welcome
Thank you.

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Hi Liz - Congrats on your day two. We know how hard it is to get started - but you're doing it.
You sound ready to reclaim your life and stay free. We know you can.
Thank you.

Originally Posted by least View Post
Congrats on making a wise decision to stop drinking. Use the support here to help you get sober for good.
Thank you.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Acceptance of ones alcoholism is fundamental in recovering in my experience. Now it’s time to put that into action and get working a recovery program for alcoholism.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I think it's none acceptance of it too. I will not accept I will be this way for the rest of my life.
Old 08-08-2020, 02:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to accept that my relationship with alcohol was, and always, will be toxic.
If I was to drink again today, even after 13 years, I'd know full well what to expect.

That doesn't mean I stay in a state of imprisonment like I did in active addiction

D

Old 08-08-2020, 04:01 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thats what I meant, I meant I won't be a slave to it anymore. Not that I think I'll ever be able to drink "normally" again
Old 08-08-2020, 07:39 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
soberfighterwriter

I woke up early this morning and was lying in bed listening to the rain. The sound of the constant drizzle was soothing, but every now and then one or two drops hit the surface a little harder and it was as if the rain wanted to talk to me in morse code. It told me stories of a life more at peace with myself, of crisp, early mornings without hangovers, of late nights talking, laughing and watching shows with my partner where I remember everything the next day. A life without the shame, guilt and regrets I always wake up with, a life where I am in control of my actions. I like those stories. I want to be mindful, living in moments like that, enjoying the tiny moments of pure bliss that I so often miss because of my drinking.

Today is day three, and I have had a long talk with my partner, who is so happy that I have made this decision. It makes me feel even better about it. It is Saturday and I am not going to drink today.

Thank you for reading.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Liz, way to stick with it and keep trying. Congrats on day 3!