Notices

Almost bought a bottle of wine

Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost bought a bottle of wine

I came so close to drinking today. I can't believe it. I was even telling myself I'd just have 1 bottle of wine and then start again on Day 1.

This craving to drink came out of nowhere. I'm very stressed about work and I think that's what triggered it. It's scary.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not out of nowhere Mary, but rather it sounds like that dirty lid'l AV tried to take advantage of some work stress. You ID'd it right away which is great. I'm glad you didn't drink. We don't drink anymore.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel you, Mary. Yesterday was day 50 for me. I've been having trouble sleeping because of stress and anxiety and am absolutely exhausted. I didn't take a drink but it would be so easy just to buy a case of beer and knock myself out. Kuddos to you for staying strong. Like Surrendered said "We don't drink anymore."
Old 08-06-2020, 09:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Way to go Mary, you skipped the urge and came here. I have 7 months and I do fear i'll face a moment like that at some point. Thanks for showing me how its done.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement. I think I will order some food instead and maybe go for a walk later.
​​​​​​
Next week I will be 8 months sober. It would be hard to have start from the beginning again, at this point.

​​
Old 08-06-2020, 09:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Awesome job beating that craving! You will be stronger now for it!
Old 08-06-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Agree with Max...you just built some serious sober muscles!
Old 08-06-2020, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

8 months is an amazing accomplishment Mary. Stay on that road sister.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Samantha

But you didn't!! I had a close call last week too but we didn't give in. Good job and keep it up
Old 08-06-2020, 11:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done - same today , had a really naff day at work ..must be something in the air 😡
Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mary88 View Post
​​​​​​
Next week I will be 8 months sober. It would be hard to have start from the beginning again, at this point.​​
There is not one good reason in this entire universe for you to start drinking again. Every reason to drink is a horrid reason and should be sent directly to hell. Because that's ultimately where drinking leads us - to a torturous hell on earth.

Best.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 8 months - Thats amazing. Also for not giving in to the AV
Hopefully in time we all learn to manage our triggers in healthier ways and not want to reach for the bottle!
Old 08-06-2020, 01:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 8 months sober! I'm glad you didn't drink.
Old 08-06-2020, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I’m really glad you resisted Mary. Have you thought about other mote positive ways to help you deal with your stress?

D
Old 08-06-2020, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good choice. You were on the lookout, and you stopped yourself.
Old 08-06-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow 8 months is amazing. So happy for you that you didn’t buy the wine.
Old 08-06-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is very scary because for me....when I started to have these "big" cravings... I eventually drank.
I always feel really scared for a person when I see posts like this....but 8 months is alot of practice being sober and I hope you are able to get past this feeling...

If work is stressing you out....I did this when I was working and newly sober years ago....I wrote down on the pad I carried (I always had a pad or a day planner) ....I don't know if you carry one....but certain meetings and people would really tick me off....so I had a couple of things I wrote down that I could stare at when I was around these people or in meetings...

I wrote LOL.....I would stare at this one when I was around people I didn't like and it means "LIVE AND LET LIVE"...It meant to me, live my own life...don't let so and so get under my skin...and let so and so do their thing ...and at the same time I would stare at this "LOL" in these situations I would try to take some deep breaths and zone out if it was a situation where I didn't have to pay too close of attention. Before I got sober when so and so would tick me off I would feel the need to jump in and correct the person or intervine in someway or another...and looking at LOL...kept a smile on my face (cause of the acroynm) and also kept my MOUTH shut...which led to myself having a more peaceful day and less cravings.

Another one...when I would feel stressed in meetings or getting things done....I wrote down was FTF.....First Things First....this saying would make me pause...for a minute...decide what was important or priority and it would immediately calm me down cause we as humans can only do one thing at a time....

So maybe these tools can help you...they did help me alot.
Even if you write down something totally different...like if you have a husband or something you can write an acronym (JLM)..."Joey loves me"....anything to keep your stress down in the situations you get stressed out in.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you. It was great to wake up sober this morning. Can't believe how close I came. Wasn't even on planing on having one glass. I was going to drink the full bottle. How awful this morning could have been.
It was also my birthday two days ago. Maybe I associate birthdays with drinking. I'm just really glad to still be sober.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I’m really glad you resisted Mary. Have you thought about other mote positive ways to help you deal with your stress?

D
I do have strategies for dealing with stress. Exercise, meditation, talk to someone, eat healthy food, watch an inspirational video on YouTube. Yesterday, I didn't care about any of these things. I just wanted a drink. Guess I'll have to work on handling stress in a more positive way.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:14 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Misssy2 View Post
This is very scary because for me....when I started to have these "big" cravings... I eventually drank.
I always feel really scared for a person when I see posts like this....but 8 months is alot of practice being sober and I hope you are able to get past this feeling...

If work is stressing you out....I did this when I was working and newly sober years ago....I wrote down on the pad I carried (I always had a pad or a day planner) ....I don't know if you carry one....but certain meetings and people would really tick me off....so I had a couple of things I wrote down that I could stare at when I was around these people or in meetings...

I wrote LOL.....I would stare at this one when I was around people I didn't like and it means "LIVE AND LET LIVE"...It meant to me, live my own life...don't let so and so get under my skin...and let so and so do their thing ...and at the same time I would stare at this "LOL" in these situations I would try to take some deep breaths and zone out if it was a situation where I didn't have to pay too close of attention. Before I got sober when so and so would tick me off I would feel the need to jump in and correct the person or intervine in someway or another...and looking at LOL...kept a smile on my face (cause of the acroynm) and also kept my MOUTH shut...which led to myself having a more peaceful day and less cravings.

Another one...when I would feel stressed in meetings or getting things done....I wrote down was FTF.....First Things First....this saying would make me pause...for a minute...decide what was important or priority and it would immediately calm me down cause we as humans can only do one thing at a time....

So maybe these tools can help you...they did help me alot.
Even if you write down something totally different...like if you have a husband or something you can write an acronym (JLM)..."Joey loves me"....anything to keep your stress down in the situations you get stressed out in.
It was scary! It's alarming to read when you had these kind of cravings you ended up drinking. I definitely don't want to drink again.

Thanks for sharing those tools. I will try them out.