SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Building our sober muscles this weekend - Weekenders 07-10 August 2020 (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/448839-building-our-sober-muscles-weekend-weekenders-07-10-august-2020-a.html)

andyh 08-10-2020 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cityboy (Post 7492143)
When I was a little kid, The Monkees had that show on saturday morning and for some reason I thought they were the Beatles until I was probably 14.

was their "Hey Hey We're The Monkees" song not a clue? :D

venuscat 08-10-2020 01:40 PM

He he he he.

biminiblue 08-10-2020 01:43 PM

:lmao

Cityboy 08-10-2020 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by andyh (Post 7492275)
was their "Hey Hey We're The Monkees" song not a clue? :D

Yes, I had that same thought as I was typing it. But at least now "I'm a Believer".

SoberLeigh 08-10-2020 01:58 PM

You guys are a hoot! Thanks for the chuckles! :lmao

venuscat 08-10-2020 02:01 PM

This stuff is funny. It would even cheer up Sleepy Jean. :biggrin:

venuscat 08-10-2020 02:03 PM

The huge controversy about the Monkees was that they couldn't sing, or even play instruments I don't think....they basically made up the band for the show and then made them be a fake band. :)

saoutchik 08-10-2020 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh (Post 7492307)
You guys are a hoot! Thanks for the chuckles! :lmao

That hoot you can hear is the last train to Clarksville. :)

saoutchik 08-10-2020 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by venuscat (Post 7492316)

The huge controversy about the Monkees was that they couldn't sing, or even play instruments I don't think....they basically made up the band for the show and then made them be a fake band. :)

Quite right, they were a made up band Venuscat Micky Dolenz (the drummer) could sing and was the lead singer of a band pre - Monkees. Unfortunately he couldn't play the drums although he did learn eventually.

Peter Tork had been around the early 60's Folk scene for some years and could play.

I believe Mike Nesmith could play a bit but he inherited a ton of money from his mom who invented Tipp-ex (true!)

Not sure what Davy Jones could do other than bang a tambourine. He was an actor so maybe they just wanted him for the TV series.

I think they fell between the two stools of being actors or musicians.

biminiblue 08-10-2020 02:28 PM

Davey Jones didn't have to do anything other than stand there looking pretty.

IMO.

Didn't they lipsink everything? Or was that just scuttlebut? I remember hearing that other session musicians did all the recordings.

venuscat 08-10-2020 02:31 PM

They actually sang, but we weren't hearing them. Session musicians until 1967 when they insisted on singing and playing themselves.
Wonder what year the show stopped? :)

Cityboy 08-10-2020 03:07 PM

None of that meant anything to a little kid who's main focus on Saturday morning was trying to get out of doing yard work. Couldn't get that I'm a Believer song out of my head so I watched the youtube video earlier. Ouch!

Willow00 08-10-2020 04:13 PM

Thanks MB, and I’m glad you got the tooth sorted out.

Bahahaha you guys crack me up! I loved the Monkees. I think I was in love with Davey when I was a kid 😂
But I had no idea they weren’t real! Nooooo! :lmao

Leigh I also loved my friend Flicka ❤️

Tuesday morning here and I am going to do some yoga. I did 10 minutes yesterday so am aiming for at least that again today. Also a walk. I also did 10 minutes walking yesterday. The minimum of the goals I have set for myself, but I did them :)
I read somewhere that it takes 21 days to form a habit. Hopefully after 21 days it won’t seem like such a chore lol :lmao:
But I know I really need to keep it up because my mental health has been suffering lately. I’ve been really emotional and all over the place.

Mags1 08-10-2020 11:05 PM

Morning Weekenders

Had a cheery time reading your posts. :yup:

Midnight, glad you got to the dentist, sorry they couldn’t save your tooth.

Saou, there may be someone in the world who doesn’t know the pic of the crossing, someone, somewhere. I wonder :dunno:

I can’t shake off this lethargic feeling, had it for a few days now. Could be the heat. I can understand why people have siestas in hot countries. Makes sense. :yup:

See you later. xx

Willow00 08-11-2020 01:18 AM

Morning Mags :)

Kaily 08-11-2020 03:12 AM

With a little help from my friends, We can work it out, I feel fine, Come together, In my life, Don't let me down. :)

Andy I love your wit! :lmao

Done my walking and my eating, no biscuits, chocolate anything for a few weeks now. Getting to like grapes a little too much (lots of sugar) but hey I'm not perfect. I will never have Midnight's unwavering discipline.

Alfie was put on anti inflammatory's yesterday as he keeps going lame. Either arthritis or cruciate ligament damage. Hmm too many miles maybe - don't want to walk on my own. :(

Here comes the sun. :shine8pl:

Mags1 08-11-2020 04:49 AM

Willow, Morning or evening I should think your part of the world. :wavey:

Kaily, aw poor Alfie. I hope he’s not in pain with his legs. How about a pushchair for when he gets tired. When I used to dog walk there was a guy with his two dogs in the park. One dog was in the pushchair most of the time, her being 18 year's young, but she did come out for a little walk now and then.

Kaily 08-11-2020 05:05 AM

Thanks Mags. I have got a doggie pushchair but Alfie is far too young for that. I only use it when my dogs get elderly. Plus it is hard work on long country walks with rough ground. It is a bit of wait and see for now.

Mags1 08-11-2020 05:21 AM

Fingers crossed all’s well. Alfie’s a tough little character. xx

SoberLeigh 08-11-2020 05:32 AM

Kaily, hope the anti-inflammatories quickly work some MAGIC for little Alfie! Poor little guy.