Notices

Well, now what?

Old 08-04-2020, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well, now what?

Hello, I heard about this forum on one of the podcasts that I listen to and am trying to find support and sober friends so here I am. My name is Meme and hopefully this site is easier to use then I think.
I am 4 days sober and currently home alone. There is a pretty fair about of weed, wine and vodka in my house and shockingly I am not tempted. Pretty proud I am able to say that.

Old 08-04-2020, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey. I’m on day 8. This is a good place to get support or to visit when you need company. I’m still new to it, but there is a lot to read.

welcome and congrats on your sober start.

B
Old 08-04-2020, 07:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hello Meme,
welcome to you.
you can figure out the site and how to use it. i know you can
if that’s what you decide to do.
it’s similar with drinking and getting and staying sober: doable, if and when you decide to do it. you will find here on SR many different people, using a variety of ways.
quite likely you will get suggestions for getting rid of assorted drugs/drink in your surroundings. my question would be about what you have in mind for doing if and when you DO get very very tempted to use?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Four days sober is a good start on a much better way of life. I've been sober going on 11 yrs now and waking up feeling good never gets old.

I hope you'll use the support here to help you get sober for good.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
hello Meme,
welcome to you.
you can figure out the site and how to use it. i know you can
if that’s what you decide to do.
it’s similar with drinking and getting and staying sober: doable, if and when you decide to do it. you will find here on SR many different people, using a variety of ways.
quite likely you will get suggestions for getting rid of assorted drugs/drink in your surroundings. my question would be about what you have in mind for doing if and when you DO get very very tempted to use?

That is such a great question and I don’t have the answer yet. My house mate drinks so I don’t know that there will ever be a time that it’s not here.
I came home tonight armed with a new puzzle, some cards to write and actually mail out and a new book to stay busy. I can say having a plan surly helped.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site Meme. Great job on 4 days. Can you dump the booze and get rid of the weed? Those would be good first steps to staying sober. As to your question "Well, now what?", that is completely up to you right? With 4 days sober, hopefully the worst of any bad detox symptoms are behind you and you can fill your future with anything you want. One of the first things to do is start to think about how you are going to stay sober when temptation does come.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
Welcome to the site Meme. Great job on 4 days. Can you dump the booze and get rid of the weed? Those would be good first steps to staying sober. As to your question "Well, now what?", that is completely up to you right? With 4 days sober, hopefully the worst of any bad detox symptoms are behind you and you can fill your future with anything you want. One of the first things to do is start to think about how you are going to stay sober when temptation does come.

Yes, I can get rid of the weed. I think that the reason I have not yet is because I get horrible headaches and that is my go to. But I also know that it has become an addiction. I was going to offer it to my best friend but I pray that she decides that the changes I am making would be best for her as well.
I am glad you ask this and it made me see that it is not fair for me to feed someone else’s my addiction. Down the ******* it goes!! 😊
Old 08-04-2020, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome meme

SR helped me turn my life around. It was amazing to find a place where I was understood, and the advice I found hwere changed my life

I'm so glad you joined us

D
Old 08-04-2020, 09:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Meme. You've got some really good things lined up until you get the hang of living sober. Such a better way to live has been my experience.

As for the "what now"? Things will unfold as you go, get to know yourself, and what you really want. No need to rush.

Your attitude is great and hope you continue to post and share your journey. Nearly 8 months for me. It is sooo much better.

Congratulations on 4 days. Awesome. Be proud.
Old 08-04-2020, 09:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Meme,

Welcome to SR! This is a wonderful forum, and has been my biggest support in recovery.

You should join the August Class of 2020, you will find others just starting out, or starting over this month, the January of 2016 class helped make s finally make sobriety stick. Another great thread is the 24 Hour Recovery Thread, you check in and commit to being sober for the next 24 hours, it is also a great place to share all that is going on in your life. I have made wonderful friends on that thread, and on this forum.

Looking forward to following your journey!
Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Memejean View Post
... I get horrible headaches and that is my go to. But I also know that it has become an addiction. ..
Hi,

Have you ever tried Tylenol or Advil? Those work for headaches too.

As for the title to your post? Looks like now's a good time to get busy living.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LumenandNyx View Post
Hi,

Have you ever tried Tylenol or Advil? Those work for headaches too.

As for the title to your post? Looks like now's a good time to get busy living.

Yes, I have tried those. They don’t work. Not making excuses to use marijuana but myself and the doctors have never found anything that helps. But I know that getting healthy, losing weight and being active cuts way down on how often I get them so I know this will get better. ❤️
Old 08-05-2020, 09:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Meme and welcome! Read around. If there is a topic you want to read about search for it in the search bar and there should be threads about it. We are all here for you.
Old 08-05-2020, 10:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Meme! I found SR to be one of the most salient factors in my sobriety journal. The people on this forum truly understand what it takes to get, and stay, sober.

Glad you’re here!
Old 08-05-2020, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Memejean View Post
Yes, I have tried those. They don’t work. Not making excuses to use marijuana but myself and the doctors have never found anything that helps. But I know that getting healthy, losing weight and being active cuts way down on how often I get them so I know this will get better. ❤️
I was a long time pot user in the past - 30 years.

I reallise it's hard when NSAIDs don't work but I hope you'll continue the search for something that does, that doesn't have the addictive potential and destructive properties weed can have on alcoholics like us.

When I was high I wanted to be drunk too, when I was drinking I wanted to be high as well.
Its really hard to break that cycle, without removing both those elements.

D