Notices

I'm afraid I'm an alcoholic - First post

Old 08-06-2020, 11:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi cerd, I'm in therapy now and it's really useful. However, i went to counselling before and because I wasn't ready to give up booze it didn't address those issues....it was more learning to live WITH them. I've subsequently discovered that all the other issues in my life are made easier to deal with sober.

Thats not to say they go away, just I have been able to begin living an authentic life. When I'm sad - I'm sad. When I mess up - I mess up. When I crave I crave. But I feel able to be human and it's extremely liberating.

Eat porridge for breakfast and exercise as much as you can safely. Don't tell anyone else because I'm going to sell a book that tells people this fool-proof route to sobriety, I'm just working on the padding for the other 287 pages 😉
Old 08-07-2020, 04:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Cerd

Great posts. Two thoughts for your consideration.

Based on my experience the fact that you seem young is no surprise. That's because it's a progressive disease and many of us do not make it here as quickly as you did. Your drinking friends? Well at least some of them are Alcoholics in training. They will get here when they are older.

On the AA anonymity issue. You have a unique opportunity because of COVID. You can find on line meetings anywhere in the country on Zoom right now. So if you live in say Denver go find a meeting based in Santa Fe. It's never been easier to protect your anonymity. But in the end I found that as someone else said it's better to be identified as someone in recovery instead of the guy everyone knows has a drinking problem. YMMV.