Notices

I finally contacted aa but have questions

Old 12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I finally contacted aa but have questions

I did a web search and found meetings, but there seems to be so many rules. Can someone give me some insight? By the way I just want to throw this in. My dog knows something is wrong. Not my husband or my kids or my mother, my dog. How about that?
Old 12-03-2004, 09:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

mbtired, welcome to SR. There are a whole bunch of wonder people here. Check out some posts, and post where you feel most comfortable. Let us know how we can help.
What kind of questions do you have? And what rules are you talking about? We have 12 steps, which are suggested as a program of recovery. There are open meetings, which anyone can attend. There are closed meetings, which are for alcoholics.
I wouldn't be surprised if your mother, husband, and kids do know, but don't know how to approach it. And as far as the dog, they are known to pick up on our moods, why wouldn't he know?
If you want answers, ask specific questions. There are many people here who will be willing to help you understand.

Sherry
Old 12-03-2004, 09:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Sherry for your understanding. The husband and kids, yes you are probably right. I just keep hoping that I can cover. Anyway, there are lots of codes by the meeting places, like who should attend and who should not. I don't want to crash a meeting. Like young people only or women only or beginners. Can't I just go to a meeting that fits into my time frame? Just asking.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Yes of course you can. Hi my name is Paulie, I live in CA but I am sure it is the same in IL. Just don't go to a mens meeting . Women's meetings are great.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well, you don't wanna go to a mens meeting...lol.

I would either go to a beginners or a women's only. Really, if you need a meeting, I would go to whichever one you can, but I seriously don't recommend the men's group. I went to a young persons meeting before and felt like I was ancient, and I'm only 34. But, if you feel like drinking, then get to a meeting. I know that aa has saved my life. I have several phone numbers (women's) from the meetings. The combination of those numbers, the meetings, and this wonderful site, has helped me grow tremendously.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

mbtired-- Good for you for being willing to go to a meeting. Like Paulie said, you can go to any meetings except for men's only. The only requirement is a DESIRE to stop drinking. You will be warmly welcomed, have no fear.

My dog is smarter than any human I know!

Go to a meeting today, OK?

hugs,

jojo
Old 12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you Paulie. And thanks for the tip about women's meetings. You know, I am thinking about changing my screen name as it seems like to much of a downer. You have been a member for some time, do you know if that is allowed or not. I guess I could just look into it myself. Lazy me.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

Yes, it can be done. An admistrator has the ability to do that for you if you want it.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

mbtired:
Sounds like you have a pretty cool dog. Spiritual? Not quite sure what you mean by rules......... but hope to see you in chat or read more posts soon. Welcome Aboard and may I suggest you put on the AA lifepreserver by going to face2face Groups? It certainly has helped me.

:tri
3Legs
Old 12-03-2004, 04:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Happy Christmas!

Dear Marilyn, you are lucky to have so many meetings to choose from! We don't even have a women's group where I live. The internet is great, but it can never replace face to face meetings...you will be able to ask questions, and meet new friends who will go for coffee with you if you like, and give you all the support you need. I went out for dinner with my group last week and really enjoyed myself without booze...and not having to eye a bottle going around the table and obsessing about the next drink. When I went to my first meeting I was in the middle of withdrawal, shaking and nauseous...I couldn't even read from the book that was handed to me, I was so sick my eyes wouldn't focus. The people were so kind, I made up my mind I would keep going back. I hope you will too. All the best, wearydeary ... PS I may change my name too!