Notices

Heat Exhaustion

Old 07-30-2020, 01:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

Heat Exhaustion

Wow! I was camping with friends this past weekend and it was extremely hot and humid. We were camped at sites that had no electricity, so there was no way to use any AC. My site was out in the blazing sun with absolutely no shade for the entire afternoon. Around noon on Friday I started to get a pounding headache and then nausea. Of course, these are also symptoms of COVID. I thought I was drinking enough fluids - guess not. By the evening, I was feeling very bad and one of my fellow campers came to my rescue by bringing me ice so I could make a cold compress for my neck and he gave me a sports drink so I could get some electrolytes. By late evening I was feeling better and was able to get some sleep.

In the morning, I thought I was on the mend, but come noon my head starts pounding again and once again I'm nauseated. So, I repeat the cold compresses and drink sports drink and just lay low - trying to rest.

It felt like a hangover. I'd forgotten how bad I used to feel with a hangover and this was a grim reminder of what one feels like. In a very weird way, I'm relieved it was heat exhaustion and not COVID or a hangover.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calicofish View Post
Wow! I was camping with friends this past weekend and it was extremely hot and humid. We were camped at sites that had no electricity, so there was no way to use any AC. My site was out in the blazing sun with absolutely no shade for the entire afternoon. Around noon on Friday I started to get a pounding headache and then nausea. Of course, these are also symptoms of COVID. I thought I was drinking enough fluids - guess not. By the evening, I was feeling very bad and one of my fellow campers came to my rescue by bringing me ice so I could make a cold compress for my neck and he gave me a sports drink so I could get some electrolytes. By late evening I was feeling better and was able to get some sleep.

In the morning, I thought I was on the mend, but come noon my head starts pounding again and once again I'm nauseated. So, I repeat the cold compresses and drink sports drink and just lay low - trying to rest.

It felt like a hangover. I'd forgotten how bad I used to feel with a hangover and this was a grim reminder of what one feels like. In a very weird way, I'm relieved it was heat exhaustion and not COVID or a hangover.
Those camping hangovers were always fierce. Glad you are ok!
Old 07-30-2020, 03:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hot and humid with no shade. Ouch.

Oh I had forgotten about those camping headaches. Used to go camping all the time and it seemed that there was always that headache. I'm sure the drinking didn't help me.

Well glad you didn't get any worse with passing out from heat stroke.

I like your redfish avatar fishingdude.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it was nothing more serious

D
Old 07-30-2020, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just returned from a camping trip myself and I didn't experience to the same extreme, I definitely did not drink enough, despite going through a 5 gallon jug in 2 days. I wasn't alone, girls were with me, but they wanted cold water from the park taps. We did a ton of hiking and swimming and I had a dull headache the last couple days there.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That is literally the main thing that I don't miss about drinking is those damn hangovers.