Notices

Something to be proud of

Old 07-29-2020, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something to be proud of

I don’t usually post stuff like this, but for 3 years I worked as a lead engineer on the Mars 2020 Rover for Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Tomorrow at 4am MST, the countdown begins for a 5am launch. It can be viewed on NASA TV. My name as well as my children’s names are already on a microchip on Mars on the Insight lander. In about 9 months, hopefully we will be there again. So much has to go right. The trip there is truly the easy part. Anyway, I’m always posting when I’m down, well this time I’m very hopeful. I know the risks because I’ve been in the industry for 20 years, so if something goes wrong, I’ll be ok. But here’s to Mars!
Old 07-29-2020, 05:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

That's pretty cool. And yes, something to be proud of.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

That is fabulous - congratulations! I love it that you wanted to post about something positive - a hopeful sign for sure.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's *definitely* something to be proud of BABM - man that's awesome!
prayers and good wishes to all involved

D
Old 07-29-2020, 05:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That is very cool!
Hope I get that channel, I love that stuff!
Old 07-29-2020, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice job,
Old 07-29-2020, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stickyone View Post
Nice job,
Thanks everyone and thanks Sticky for the message today. I am doing better. Really proud of how far you’ve come. Don’t let your recent slump get you down.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's very cool and I'm glad you told us. I hope things go smoothly tomorrow morning. Best of luck to you and the program.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Science has always known that alcoholics are generally very "smart" people..being any kind of an Engineer is a great achievement and "Engineering" courses require very smart people.....
Totally amazing that you have something to do with this history making project....that is huge!

I too exceeded to a very high level in my job...and when certain people found out I was a "drunk" they were in misbelief....total misbelief.....
Good luck with the launch....
Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

BABM, your intellect and your accomplishments are amazing. Your relationship with your kids is amazing. I sense you will be a leader in the tech field and a leader in your kid's lives, and in their kid's lives, if you can stay sober. I don't know you but I have read your many posts and think my opinions are informed. Please realize that what you have - an amazing mind and an amazing family - is special. Not very many have those things. Stay sober man. Be strong and stay sober and don't squander what you have. What hell must it be for a mind like yours to be dulled by alcohol? You don't have to do that anymore.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

S19 that brought me to tears. I know I am blessed beyond measure which makes my addiction all the more perplexing. I am so grateful for all of the love, support and truth (sometimes kind, sometimes tough) I receive here.

I want to kick so bad so I can legitimately pay this forward and be of service.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are something else man. A poster child for what this thing can take from us.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
I don’t usually post stuff like this, but for 3 years I worked as a lead engineer on the Mars 2020 Rover for Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Tomorrow at 4am MST, the countdown begins for a 5am launch. It can be viewed on NASA TV. My name as well as my children’s names are already on a microchip on Mars on the Insight lander. In about 9 months, hopefully we will be there again. So much has to go right. The trip there is truly the easy part. Anyway, I’m always posting when I’m down, well this time I’m very hopeful. I know the risks because I’ve been in the industry for 20 years, so if something goes wrong, I’ll be ok. But here’s to Mars!
Wow, that is so cool! My son was just talking about Mars today asking if I think people will ever live there, now I can say I know someone who has his name on Mars!
Old 07-29-2020, 09:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Surrendered19 View Post
You are something else man. A poster child for what this thing can take from us.
And for what it means to never give up.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BeABetterMan View Post
Thanks everyone and thanks Sticky for the message today. I am doing better. Really proud of how far you’ve come. Don’t let your recent slump get you down.
Thanks for the support. Feeling much better than this morning. Time to continue this new chapter of my life. Take care be safe
Old 07-29-2020, 09:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Here’s to Mars and here’s to you, BABM! Congratulations on being a very important part of our Space Program.
But even more importantly, congratulations on continuing to fight this battle with addiction. Like many others here on SR, you are an inspiration to me.

Now....what do you think about aliens? Real or not?
Old 07-29-2020, 10:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, BABM--that is a wonderful accomplishment and you should be very proud. I've loved NASA since I was a little kid and got to stay up late to watch man land on the moon. Mars exploration is way exciting and I sent best thoughts of success for the Mars Rover and for you and your sobriety.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thats amazing - you should be really proud x
Old 07-30-2020, 12:43 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Today my first born turns 13 too. And I’m sober for both.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How super awesome BABM! Coincidentally, just prior to reading your post, I'd read my morning emails, which included one from NASA, titled 'Watch Our Perseverance Rover Launch to Mars".

How fitting, BABM, I hope that your 'Perseverance will launch you into sobriety''.!Our Perseverance Rover Launch to Mars