Notices

Depression and anxiety slumps at day 76?

Old 07-29-2020, 10:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression and anxiety slumps at day 76?

Okay it's the start of day 76 for me. I have no urge to take any opiates which was my poison. But over the last 3 days I've been in a slump I took a few days off of work. But I haven't been sleeping well, alot of anxiety and doubt. With everything going on like the covid19 I know these emotions will pass and I will get better and grow from these experience. But wow I have no energy, I get times of heightened emotions. I remember another member talking about Paw's and my advice was don't worry we have good days and bad but it will pass as long as you don't hold on to the emotions it will be okay. But Im in need for some friendly advice. I feel lost but I am still sober
Old 07-29-2020, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My advice is to find something to do that will distract you from what you're experiencing. TV worked for me. I even slept with it on.

This too shall pass.

Best.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've been trying to keep a schedule still going during the last few days I meditate, exercise and read. I just feel like I needed the time off work. Maybe it's a old feeling of my 2 week program where I would call in sick every 2 weeks to withdraw the back again. I haven't called in sick since I've been sober this is my second day calling in sick I feel like I'm in withdrawal. The emotional parts , physically I just feel tired and restless legs in bed. But the main thing is I'm sober
Old 07-29-2020, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 76 days of sobriety. Good job!

I think that there will always be days when we feel down, but as long as you remember that it will pass, you'll be fine. Heightened emotions and emotional swings are common in early recovery because many of us haven't had a lot of experience managing our feelings.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's possible that it's PAWS. I had some trouble with that in my first year sober. But it will pass, so stay sober and practice gratitude every day.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for the responses. Something's I could work on in my sobriety. I will cut down on my caffeine intake, make sleep a priority which I've been lacking for the last week. Things will get better. My wife looked at me and said did you take any opiates. I didn't get mad even with everything im going through I looked at here proudly and said no today is day 75. She looked at me and I could see she was so happy. She even went on to tell me how much she loves me and I will get passed this slump.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a lovely story about your wife, and you can tell she wants you to continue getting well. That said, ultimately you are doing this for yourself, and you're doing great.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
That's a lovely story about your wife, and you can tell she wants you to continue getting well. That said, ultimately you are doing this for yourself, and you're doing great.

Yes I've been working on self care every day. It ain't always rainbows and butterflies, I got times where I felt like everyone burdens was my own. But during my self care I understand it's okay to say no. It does feel weird at times but so does alot of new things. Even the word sorry when it's not my responsibility, I've always thought sorry was a word used to be respectful but it can wear on you're self esteem because it can be used also as forgiveness or admitting guilt. Which I believe isn't healthy if there is no wrong doing on my part.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

but I am still sober
This is the biggie. Lost ain't nothing and doesn't last. Be patient and keep doing the next right thing.
I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once.
Daniel Boone

Old 07-29-2020, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
This is the biggie. Lost ain't nothing and doesn't last. Be patient and keep doing the next right thing.
Wow that was a cool quote. I love watching YouTube motivation videos and also I like the calm app which I use to meditate every day. I'm feeling better from this morning, had a good breakfast and worked out.

Call it funny but when I was going through my 2 week program of relapsing then withdrawing. During withdrawal I would have a state of mind where I wanted to be in life and a hunger to better myself. I would tell myself and wife if I could feel this way while being sober then I would see how to grow. Then wow a slump or paws I feel like this. But it's different because I have no guilt because I am sober. And I can work to grow and get passed this.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

yeah, there is a slump followed by anhedonia, then things get really new and bright and the world seems to be waking up, or is that me? yeah, changes happen, good, bad, pretty and ugly, it's life and we start living a sober life...

How cool is that? I wish you well on this roller coaster! Eventually it will even out.

Peace,
~SB
Old 07-29-2020, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

my first 90 days I was up and down but it got better after that - hang in there stickyone

D
Old 07-29-2020, 09:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
my first 90 days I was up and down but it got better after that - hang in there stickyone

D
Well it's been a tornado of emotions. But I'm still here and sober. Day 76. I'm feeling much better now. Thank you everyone for your support.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 77,

Decided to take the rest of the week off from work. This paws is the emotional rollercoaster like withdrawals. I haven't called in sick for over 2 months but I still feel somewhat guilty. I know I shouldn't feel guilty because this is part of the process of recovery, not calling in sick but feeling like this. I just have to stay committed to my self care and remember that I'm doing this to be a better version of myself. I just wanted to get this off my chest. Any input would be great